MAvic Floats recommeneded
956 15 2018-8-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dmflying
lvl.1
United States

I'm going to do some flying over the lake I was wondering if anyone has had experience with any flotation device if the Mavic takes a plunge into the water.  I don't need them to land on water.

Thank you
2018-8-20
Use props
DJKOR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2035676 ft
Australia

Don't have any experience, but the advertising of this looks promising enough for me to consider.

https://www.getterback.com/howitworks/
2018-8-20
Use props
Tridiver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4459344 ft
  • >>>

I'll be posting a vid tomorrow of a recovery system I developed for the Mav.  Check for it then!!  I'm learning this editing thing......
2018-8-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Just a friendly reminder, we don't suggest using any third-party accessories for the safety of flight, and if might affect your drone's warranty according to our aftersales policy. We are unable to ensure the compatibility and the performance when using it. Thanks for your understanding.
2018-8-21
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

I think as evidenced by the popularity of some accessories, they often cover shortcomings of a product by the manufacturer.  Obviously, DJI drones have this unique tendency to sink like bricks, and worse the sensors are prone to misjudge the waters surface, so in such situations where flying over the water is desired or necessary, what do YOU Paladin recommend to make the DJI Drones more seaworthy?
2018-8-21
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
United States

OP, the issue is, these drones do not tend to survive dunking very well.  While some folks have reported very brief immersions in clean fresh water, and successfully allowing it to dry out and they function again, those reports are very rare.  I've seen a product demo'd on YT which essentially used those foam noodle things cut up for floats in a swimming pool, but they didn't seem very stable. Might work in a calm swimming pool, but in a lake, I'd bet they'd tend to flip over submerging the drone anyway.   Imho, avoid water unless it's a short duration with a full battery.  Anything more than that, you are taking a big risk.  Obviously the pilot's experience and familiarity with the drone plays a huge part here as well.  Good luck.  
2018-8-21
Use props
Ulysses Paiva
lvl.4
Flight distance : 573310 ft

It's an electronic device, not waterproof, not water resistant, so you should not mess with water as with any other electronic device. Manufacturer says you shouldnt. Attatching anything will most likely influence your flight. The drone was made to fly as it is.
So, anything you decide to do beyond that is on your own. Dont blame the manufacturer for a product not working as it wasnt promised.
For me, particularly, I wouldnt attatch anything to the drone. Dont expect to land the drone in the water, just be 110% sure you will have plans (in plural) to get it back and that you know what you're doing.
I would fly over water and my plan will always to bring it to land safely, never over into the water. But first I would make extra sure I planed ahead and checked everything I should.
The day I realized its not a toy, its a real aircraft, just like airspace authority here considers it as a real aircraft, I started to face it differently, more like the way it should be faced and thus I've flown better and safer.
2018-8-21
Use props
Ulysses Paiva
lvl.4
Flight distance : 573310 ft

Dont get me wrong. Dont want to discourage you. I even told I would do it if I needed/wanted. But with all due responsability and care it demands and considering as it really is.
2018-8-21
Use props
Dmflying
lvl.1
United States

I do not plan to land on water or do anything crazy over water. But technology does fail and I want to take precautions just in case of water landing. just like we wear life jackets in case boat sinks.
2018-8-21
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
United States

If you are looking for an easy answer, here you go.  Until you have many hours over your belt, I would avoid water like a plague unless of course you have a money tree in your backyard.  Even if everything is running smoothly, stuff happens and over water, you are gambling everything.  I wouldn't even try it at this point in your drone career. On those accessories on the market, some might work, but all will probably at best only bring you back a destroyed drone.  If you have the Care Pkg, that's a good thing, but then you have the hassle factor as well.  Imho, there is no device that will reliably prevent water damage to a drone.
2018-8-21
Use props
DJKOR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2035676 ft
Australia

I think the point of this thread is more about just being able to recover your drone in the event of a catastrophe and it decides to take a dunk. There are those of us who have the DJI Care Refresh but it's a bit hard to use it when you don't have a drone to present. You can fly as safe as you can over water but nothing can stop bad luck like a bird hitting it or a prop failure.

Video for entertainment:

2018-8-21
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

DJKOR Posted at 2018-8-21 17:23
I think the point of this thread is more about just being able to recover your drone in the event of a catastrophe and it decides to take a dunk. There are those of us who have the DJI Care Refresh but it's a bit hard to use it when you don't have a drone to present. You can fly as safe as you can over water but nothing can stop bad luck like a bird hitting it or a prop failure.

Video for entertainment:

Now that's funny !!
2018-8-22
Use props
Tridiver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4459344 ft
  • >>>

Here, check this out!!  my water recovery system

2018-8-22
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Video for entertainment:

oh my lol wow
2018-8-22
Use props
TX99517
lvl.4
Flight distance : 274649 ft
  • >>>
United States

Video for entertainment:

I wonder if he see's a problem now?
2018-8-22
Use props
fans870add9b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17159 ft

Dmflying Posted at 2018-8-21 08:38
I do not plan to land on water or do anything crazy over water. But technology does fail and I want to take precautions just in case of water landing. just like we wear life jackets in case boat sinks.

technically, you don't "land" in water; you "ditch".
2018-8-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules