Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
RTH too high Mavic pro platinum
963 52 2018-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Benimav
lvl.1
Flight distance : 415548 ft
France

I'm sorry it's a mistake, I lost application connection at the end of the record.

This is maybe more simple on my head than written...

I repeat :
I lost the application connection, the RC was still connected, I pushed RTH, the drone went up to 300m, met high wind, lost battery fast and land on the ocean.

My question is how is it possible to have a RTH so high while I set it to 60m ?

Records are useless because everything was fine until I lost application connection.
2018-8-22
Use props
Benimav
lvl.1
France

G Sig the video stop at the moment I lost application connection.
2018-8-22
Use props
Benimav
lvl.1
France

MR Archer thank you for that explain.
I get it ;)

It's embarrassing because there is a bug somewhere which caused my loss and I cannot prove it ! Maybe in 10 years when a fisherman will find my MP ?
2018-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 6038822 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Benimav Posted at 2018-8-22 10:55
I'm sorry it's a mistake, I lost application connection at the end of the record.

This is maybe more simple on my head than written...

Your problem is there is no data to show this RTH and aircraft rising to 300 metre high, your log shows that you the controller were fully in charge of aircraft until log ends. At end of log at 11min 15 sec it shows you flying at low altitude 100% right stick down aircraft flying backwards but speed at only 10mph, this will tell you that even at low altitude the wind was extremely strong, you then decided to stop flying by taking all hands off controls, and shortly after this your log ends.
1/ if you set off RTH and it went to 300m, why did you not stop this, you could have pressed RTH again to abort, you could have pressed pause button and had a rethink .
The decision made by dji is pretty normal for when this happens, it’s imposs for you to prove what you are saying and impossible for them to prove complete pilot error, but for me 30% is generous in this situation.One thing I will disagree with is there were no compass warnings or problems reported in your log and I’m baffled how these can show up in jjb sparks log.
2018-8-22
Use props
Benimav
lvl.1
France

I tried to stop RTH. I pressed one time, two times, I long pressed, very long pressed. I tried to go down with the left stick. I didn't think to press the pause button.
There were too much wind I couldn't feel it from where I was piloting.
All this teach me many things !
2018-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Benimav Posted at 2018-8-22 11:46
I tried to stop RTH. I pressed one time, two times, I long pressed, very long pressed. I tried to go down with the left stick. I didn't think to press the pause button.
There were too much wind I couldn't feel it from where I was piloting.
All this teach me many things !

If you pressed more than once you are just turning off and on, l think VLOS was the main problem here, it makes a huge difference when you can see your drone.
2018-8-22
Use props
Benimav
lvl.1
France

It was already 200m high when I tried to stop RTH.

What is VLOS please ?
2018-8-22
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 7383379 ft
  • >>>

MrArcher Posted at 2018-8-22 08:05
Agreed, without the App running, there is no way the controller would know what the RTH altitude was set at.  And for that matter, if the RTH was actually activated properly or not.  Frankly, here's just no way to verify anything.

If after the events documented in the log, the OP was able to still monitor the flight in some manner on the RC, that suggests this was not an abrupt catastrophic collision, at least right adjacent to the end of the log we are viewing.  There is just no way to tell if it was a device issue, a RC issue, or if there was a battle going on with the OP vs the RTH.   And, whether there was a collision or not.  My best guess is, if indeed the OP saw 300m on the RC, which is almost 1,000 ft, it might have gone up that far, hit stronger winds, couldn't make progress home, and eventually ran out of battery and simply fell into the water.

RTH altitude is saved to non-volatile memory in the aircraft & retained between flights.
2018-8-22
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>

MrArcher Posted at 2018-8-22 08:50
The issue is, after the DJI Go 4 app disconnects, and the RC no longer can read the RTH altitude setting, what is the default programmed into the RC?  Might very well be 300m?  I have not ever test that scenario nor do I plan to.  Unfortunately, there is no log to show how much of this was a RC default and how much if any was user input.  Total mystery.

RTH altitude is not stored in the RC.  It is stored in the aircraft & retained between sessions in non-volatile memory.
2018-8-22
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>

MrArcher Posted at 2018-8-22 10:31
Well, seems we are starting to talk in circles.  The OP had confirmed he had the RTH set at 60m.  He also stated that after he lost the Go 4 app, and then hit RTH, the drone rocketed up to 300m.  We can see the Home Point was clearly set right after take off in very close proximity, so that entire piece is confirmed.  

Whether the default RTH is hard coded in the drone or RC, the question that's crucial to the discussion is, what is the default altitude?  If it's 300m, then what the OP is reporting makes sense. If not, then this adds another wrinkle.

The default RTH altitude is 30 meters.

*Note RTH altitude is always in meters even if you select Imperial units.
2018-8-22
Use props
MrArcher
Second Officer
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

You are the third person that has stated the drone saves the RTH.  The question is, clearly the log show the RTH was updated. The OP stated he had it set at 60m.  So, when he hit RTH after the app crash, why did it ascend to 300m?  Does the drone have a default of 300m in the event of a disconnect?  I'm just trying to reconcile this 300m vs 60m piece.  If we find that the drone has a static 300m RTH altitude in the event of a disconnect, that would probably be valuable info for the next guy.  Might also be something we might ask DJI to change as that's illegal as well, perhaps not in France but certainly in the US. That's the point I'm trying to get at.
2018-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MrArcher Posted at 2018-8-22 14:25
You are the third person that has stated the drone saves the RTH.  The question is, clearly the log show the RTH was updated. The OP stated he had it set at 60m.  So, when he hit RTH after the app crash, why did it ascend to 300m?  Does the drone have a default of 300m in the event of a disconnect?  I'm just trying to reconcile this 300m vs 60m piece.  If we find that the drone has a static 300m RTH altitude in the event of a disconnect, that would probably be valuable info for the next guy.  Might also be something we might ask DJI to change as that's illegal as well, perhaps not in France but certainly in the US. That's the point I'm trying to get at.

No it doesn’t and this information is available in your manual, and there was no disconnect it was OP who said he initiated RTH . There are no logs showing aircraft going to 300 metres, also OP was clearly mistaken regarding the fact he said he hit RTH at 70% this clearly was not the case, so maybe he was simply mistaken.

There is no static default of 300 metres, default RTH is set at 20 metres if you do not ever change it.
2018-8-22
Use props
MrArcher
Second Officer
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

Hallmark, we already know he hit RTH after the app crashed, so from that point forward, there could NOT be any logs. There cannot be record of what altitude the drone ascended to, but he insists the RC clearly read 300m.  I tend to believe him as at the altitude he was at, at the time of the app crashed, he was in control and the wind volume clearly wasn't overwhelming the drone.

Now regarding the 70%, I'm not so worried about that as it's easy to confuse the RC battery % vs the Drone battery %. I've noticed a number of pilots in the field making that mistake, but there is only one altitude, so that's harder to confuse.  Either way, it doesn't matter. If you think the OP misread the altitude as well, that very well might be the case. We will never know.
2018-8-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules