Two Mavic Pros suddenly refuse to fly; trip ruined.
977 24 2018-8-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ray_Dunakin
Second Officer

I just got back from my annual trip to photograph old mines, mining camps, and ghost towns in Nevada. I had planned to do a lot of filming with my Mavic Pro. It was so important to me that I took the precaution of buying a second MP, so that if anything happened to the first one, I'd have a backup and wouldn't be stuck. BTW, this isn't my first time using a Mavic -- I've been flying mine since April 2017 and have never had any serious hardware or software issues. Until now...

On the morning of the first day of the trip, I had a very successful flight. A few hours later, I got ready to fly the MP again. I turned everything on, the MP connected successfully to the remote, I got the "ready to fly" message, pushed the left joystick up to lift off -- and nothing happened. I double checked all my connections, etc and couldn't find anything wrong. The display showed everything normal, but the only response when using the joystick was that the camera gimbal would move rather than the propellers.

So I got out my new backup MP, and it too refused to lift off!

Both aircraft were flown prior to the trip and were working fine, but now when I needed them most, they were just very expensive bricks!

When I got into a small town that had cellular phone service, I called DJI tech support, but the gal I talked to was not very helpful. Her only suggestion was that it might have something to do with the fact that there was a dirt airstrip somewhere near the town. Which is nonsense. I flew my Mavic all over Nevada last year without any problems, and I've flown it at home despite living next to a major military airbase!

During the rest of my trip, I made several more attempts to fly, at various remote locations, all with the same results. I also updated the firmware and still could not get the Mavic to launch.

To say I'm upset would be putting it mildly! I only get one chance per year to go where there is anything worthwhile to see and photograph. I had big plans for this trip. Now it's all down the toilet and I have to wait an entire year for another chance.

2018-8-22
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

That is a sad story indeed and strange as well. Would you mind uploading some flightrecords of the incidents and share the link with us?: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-8-22
Use props
idbl_fanatic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 509741 ft
United States

I had this happen to me in Nevada as well over the 4th of July, I was flying fine at my aunts house, when we went over to watch the fireworks, nothing, turned out that there was an airport just over the ridge. However the DJI GO4 app told me that I needed an internet connection to "promise to play nice" ETC.
2018-8-22
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
Second Officer

Five hours later and still no comment from DJI?? I would expect at least a "sorry" by now.

I just tried to fly it again here at home, still no luck. No error messages, no warnings. Everything looks normal, and the app says I'm "ready to go", but nothing happens when I try to lift off.

BTW, I'm using an iPhone 7+ and have the current firmware.

2018-8-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-22 11:50
That is a sad story indeed and strange as well. Would you mind uploading some flightrecords of the incidents and share the link with us?: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Quoted for emphasis
2018-8-22
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
Second Officer

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-22 11:50

This is the flight record from the one good flight I had on Friday morning:

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/81U74U2T3CNX3JMKO9BB/

There are no flight records for any of the failed attempts. I'm assuming the app doesn't start recording until you start the motors -- and since the motors wouldn't start, no flight and no flight records.

PS - I just noticed that I have .DAT files for the failed flights. Should I upload those?
2018-8-22
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Where in NV are you? I am located in Reno, NV and fly my drones pretty much everywhere in NV with zero problems.
2018-8-22
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
Second Officer

Lucas775 Posted at 2018-8-22 18:05
Where in NV are you? I am located in Reno, NV and fly my drones pretty much everywhere in NV with zero problems.

Yeah, Nevada is great, good flying, lots of interesting sites and gorgeous scenery, and no hassles. But I'm at home in San Diego now. I won't be able to go back to Nevada again until next summer.     

But while I was in Nevada on this recent trip, I tried flying it in many places without success.
2018-8-22
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ray_Dunakin Posted at 2018-8-22 18:21
Yeah, Nevada is great, good flying, lots of interesting sites and gorgeous scenery, and no hassles. But I'm at home in San Diego now. I won't be able to go back to Nevada again until next summer.     

But while I was in Nevada on this recent trip, I tried flying it in many places without success.

Sorry to hear that.
2018-8-22
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

but the only response when using the joystick was that the camera gimbal would move rather than the propellers

Very strange that moving Joystick would cause Camera gimbal to change.
Is it same with spare Mavic Pro and it's Remote Controller?  

2018-8-22
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Ray_Dunakin Posted at 2018-8-22 17:25
Five hours later and still no comment from DJI?? I would expect at least a "sorry" by now.

I just tried to fly it again here at home, still no luck. No error messages, no warnings. Everything looks normal, and the app says I'm "ready to go", but nothing happens when I try to lift off.

It is almost like your Mavic Pros propeller start-up Joystick commands have gotten change.  

Have you tried switching to WiFi mode so as to bypass the remote controllers?
2018-8-22
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
Second Officer

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-8-22 19:41
but the only response when using the joystick was that the camera gimbal would move rather than the propellers

Very strange that moving Joystick would cause Camera gimbal to change.

Yes, that was very strange. Moving the joystick should not affect the camera gimbal at all.
2018-8-22
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
Second Officer

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-8-22 19:48
It is almost like your Mavic Pros propeller start-up Joystick commands have gotten change.  

Have you tried switching to WiFi mode so as to bypass the remote controllers?

No, I haven't tried WiFi mode yet. I've never used that mode so I'm not familiar with how to set it up, and I didn't have any instructions with me.

2018-8-22
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Ray_Dunakin Posted at 2018-8-22 20:40
No, I haven't tried WiFi mode yet. I've never used that mode so I'm not familiar with how to set it up, and I didn't have any instructions with me.

I am surprised that DJI support (when you called) did not suggest trying WiFi and walking you through setting up WiFi.  

If your main Mavic Pro and your backup Mavic Pro both work with WiFi, that would be interesting to say the least.  Two DJI remote controllers going bad at same location would be against odds, unless there is something fishy going on in area.

What would be a good outcome is one Mavic Pro works with WiFi and other does not.  Which could mean Remote Controller for Mavic Pro that won't work with WiFi, might be usable with Mavic Pro that works with WiFi.
2018-8-22
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Ray_Dunakin Posted at 2018-8-22 20:39
Yes, that was very strange. Moving the joystick should not affect the camera gimbal at all.

If nothing simple can be found to solve non flying Mavic Pros...

Here is to hoping you have one bad Mavic Pro with working remote controller AND
one working Mavic Pro with a bad remote controller.  At least you would be left with flyable drone, while dead Mavic Pro and dead Remote are being repaired / replaced.
2018-8-22
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Ray_Dunakin Posted at 2018-8-22 17:39
This is the flight record from the one good flight I had on Friday morning:

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/81U74U2T3CNX3JMKO9BB/

As far as I know nobody of us can read the .DAT files, but DJI can. You should open a support case and let them analyse.
2018-8-22
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
Second Officer

STILL no comment from DJI? Do they even monitor this forum anymore?

2018-8-23
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
Second Officer

Well, I finally got it to fly, by using the Automatic Liftoff button. I never use that, so I had forgotten it even had that feature. Now I'm really mad at the lousy tech support -- that should have been the first thing they suggested, rather than giving me a bunch of crap about "maybe you're too near an airfield." If I had spoken with somebody who actually knows what they're talking about when I called tech support, my trip would not have been ruined!!!

In any case, I still can't get the motors started using the joystick -- only by using the auto liftoff. Once it's in the air, the joysticks seem to work properly and the Mavic is maneuverable, though I'm hesitant to fly it more than a few feet in case there are other issues.

2018-8-23
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 406076 ft
  • >>>

Hey Ray, by chance do you have two remote controls?  I happened to have a similar experience here a while back.  Me and a buddy (who also has a MP) went flying one afternoon, and somehow got our controllers crossed once we where landed and charging things back up.   Ours would not respond to any command, on the phone or on the controller.  We did feel confused there for a bit.  Now I have a label on mine.
2018-8-23
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
Second Officer

Lonesome Crow Posted at 2018-8-23 12:51
Hey Ray, by chance do you have two remote controls?  I happened to have a similar experience here a while back.  Me and a buddy (who also has a MP) went flying one afternoon, and somehow got our controllers crossed once we where landed and charging things back up.   Ours would not respond to any command, on the phone or on the controller.  We did feel confused there for a bit.  Now I have a label on mine.

Yes, I have two but they are labeled.
2018-8-23
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft

"I got ready to fly the MP again. I turned everything on, the MP connected successfully to the remote, I got the "ready to fly" message, pushed the left joystick up to lift off -- and nothing happened. I double checked all my connections, etc and couldn't find anything wrong."

Ok... I am not trying to be a Smart A$$, but I have to ask.....  You stated that you got the "Ready to Fly" message, pushed the left joystick up to lift off-- and nothing happened."  And I really hate to ask this, but I have to.   

Did you use the CSM?  Control Stick Maneuver?  Both Sticks in and down and hold them to start/stop the motors?  Or did you just push the left joystick up as you quoted?  I see that you did get it to fly using the Automatic take off function, but.....  Please, don't get upset.... but did you forget the CSM when you took off???  
2018-8-23
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
Second Officer

OMG

I must be getting senile or something. You're right -- somehow, I completely forgot the CSM. I ruined my own trip!

How embarrassing.

2018-8-23
Use props
jasoncopter
lvl.1
United States

Ray_Dunakin Posted at 2018-8-23 16:51
OMG

I must be getting senile or something. You're right -- somehow, I completely forgot the CSM. I ruined my own trip!

Well, hats off to you for owning up to your own mistake!
2018-8-23
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft

I was really hesitant about mentioning that since it was so obvious.....  And I'm sorry, but at least, the problem is solved.  Sometimes, it's the easiest.  And Jasoncopter is correct.  Congratulations for admitting your mistake sir.  That is one of the hardest things to admit.  
2018-8-23
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ray_Dunakin Posted at 2018-8-23 16:51
OMG

I saw that as well,  and didn't think for a second........

Really happy you got this sorted out AND let us all know,  good onya!!

Randy
2018-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules