Is the drone hobby in trouble?
12Next >
3776 79 2018-8-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

The way the guy in the video talks the drone hobby is in serious trouble.  I'm not sure what to think.  He's talking trackers and licenses.  What do you guys thinl?
2018-8-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It's ignorant alarmist nonsense.   
2018-8-22
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

OH no.........the sky is falling!
2018-8-22
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

2018-8-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Yeah this was discussed several weeks ago.  It's kind of a dead topic.  
2018-8-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Doesn't some amendment guarantee you guys the right to bear drones?
2018-8-22
Use props
Ryan Olivas
lvl.4

United States

Been hearing this since 2016 but still drone hobby is going strong.
2018-8-22
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

wouldn't work too much as software updates will probably ground us all before that .
2018-8-22
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Christine,

All the commenters in this thread of yours have their points and the 51 guy has his concerns, but a lot of what was discussed in the video and in the thread is misleading.  For example, the hearing was very preliminary which is why the AMA was not invited nor did they attend when they learned about it.  This is normal for Washington, DC.  The main result of the hearing is the showmanship for constituents in the Congressman's district and the "big body" the attendees could make to show their influence.  This is normal for Congress.

On the other side, it is good to hear about this type of effort and the 51 guy's suggestion to let your Congressional Delegation know how you feel about this sabotage of Hobbyist flying rights by Commercial Operators, etc. is still a good idea.  You might also consider joining the AMA, the Academy of Model Aeronautics.  The fee is $65-85 per year but comes with $2,000,000 in insurance and tons of information about flying any kind of model aircraft.  I am a member.

But, it is alarmist and that can be good if your Congressional Delegation understands that you and the AMA see things very differently.  But, you have to let them know how concerned you are.  The AMA alone has more United States voters in their membership than all the "opposition" in the video combined.  Help the AMA flex that muscle.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-8-22
Use props
Alvaro L
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8832 ft
Spain

Nothing is going to stop the drone industry but in some years it will be a very different story in my opinion. Celular networks will be used to track every drone in flight, so enjoy your long distance BLOS flying while you can because that will be history. At the end and as a result of several accidents and bad acting, the same security culture of the traditional aviation industry will be forced upon us and our drones (> 250 grams > 20 metres height) will be tracked in real time by other air space operators using celular networks and 5G. And finally, with newer FAA/EASA certified models we will have the same percentage of human error versus malfunction in drone crashes like the in the traditional aviation, which is about 95% due to human error. Drones won't be allowed to fall from the sky like stones and manufactures will have to certify failure rates. In fact manned drones will be more secure and less prone to failure than manned aircrafts.
2018-8-22
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>

Geebax Posted at 2018-8-22 18:55
Doesn't some amendment guarantee you guys the right to bear drones?

Close, it’s “the right to arm bears!”

Jeff
2018-8-23
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-8-23 05:35

Jeff

I saw a bear with a 50 caliber Desert Eagle the other day
2018-8-23
Use props
Air/America
lvl.4

United States

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-8-23 05:35

Jeff

When drones are outlawed, only outlaws will have drones.

2018-8-23
Use props
yarik83
lvl.2
United States

I don't know what you mean by "hobby is still going strong".

There is a 80% chance you are not allowed to fly where you want to fly. That includes just about anywhere and everywhere. I travel a lot and see no drone signs EVERYWHERE. DJI competition - out of business. FPV racing is a small niche where they fly within 100-200ft of themselves like 3 ft off the ground so that does not count. Hobby is not growing. It is shrinking because people buying drones can't fly them where they want to, crash them and too expensive to replace. Sky is not falling but demand for drones is on natural decline.

As a 107 commercial pilot I can tell you that commercial applications are a relative dud also. Industry has not taken advantage of drones like it was envisioned.
2018-8-23
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>

Air/America Posted at 2018-8-23 06:09
When drones are outlawed, only outlaws will have drones.

“When drones are bears, only outlaws will have arms!?!” Amendments are so confusing!

Jeff
2018-8-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yikes, I just bought DJI stock. Ha

Going for bust or broke.  Grin

RedHotPoker
2018-8-23
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

yarik83 Posted at 2018-8-23 06:10
I don't know what you mean by "hobby is still going strong".

There is a 80% chance you are not allowed to fly where you want to fly. That includes just about anywhere and everywhere. I travel a lot and see no drone signs EVERYWHERE. DJI competition - out of business. FPV racing is a small niche where they fly within 100-200ft of themselves like 3 ft off the ground so that does not count. Hobby is not growing. It is shrinking because people buying drones can't fly them where they want to, crash them and too expensive to replace. Sky is not falling but demand for drones is on natural decline.

What a terrible view point ... so pessimistic. I respect your right to it though.

i have been flying models of literally all types for over 55yrs. I've seen the changes in radio and control systems ... changes in construction materials ... construction itself ...

So many times heard the doom-sayers and seen the ups and downs of market. I was an Area rep for SMAE (The UK modellers body) and it was a constant topic.

I am now a member of LARPAS in Latvia ... and the topic occasionally arises but not as a failing hobby - but as an increasing hobby and the effects idiot flyers can have..

The RC Hobby - which DJI and all others are part of - regardless of what you buy or use it for - is overall a much higher number now than ever.

Flight Controllers in Multi-rotors making them easy to fly ... stabilizers and high quality reliable RC gear .. electric power ... foam and plastics in the construction ... Carbon Fibre  ... they have all created models that only a few years ago were near impossible to fly or even build.

Hobby is dying ? Certainly not.

But I am aware of something that may interest some ... I hear through the grapevine that AMA membership has not kept same pace as increase of owners ... that its lagging behind. I think the argument a couple of years back where a large number of AMA members were vocal about the apparent lack of effect on FAA rulings.

Nigel
2018-8-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I seen similar alarmists in Europe until EASA took over and made sense out of the whole thing, throwing stones is always going to get hysteria started, we already have trackers and license. It’s best to apply the 80/20 rule to that stuff, 80% of it is sh#t and the other 20% is sh#te .
2018-8-23
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2018-8-22 23:07
Aloha Christine,

All the commenters in this thread of yours have their points and the 51 guy has his concerns, but a lot of what was discussed in the video and in the thread is misleading.  For example, the hearing was very preliminary which is why the AMA was not invited nor did they attend when they learned about it.  This is normal for Washington, DC.  The main result of the hearing is the showmanship for constituents in the Congressman's district and the "big body" the attendees could make to show their influence.  This is normal for Congress.

This is my concern.   Drones are easy to fly so there are a lot of people flying them and I think,  because people are irresponsible,  they are increasingly becoming a nuisance.  Eventually it's going to get to the point,  because people are evil,  that the government is going to have to step in and put it's foot down.  I know that sounds pessimistic but drones aren't like old school model airplanes that are usually flown at isolated fields.  Drones can be flown by anyone anywhere and that's more potential for people to be a@@holes.  And you know they are going to.  
2018-8-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Christine96 Posted at 2018-8-23 14:09
This is my concern.   Drones are easy to fly so there are a lot of people flying them and I think,  because people are irresponsible,  they are increasingly becoming a nuisance.  Eventually it's going to get to the point,  because people are evil,  that the government is going to have to step in and put it's foot down.  I know that sounds pessimistic but drones aren't like old school model airplanes that are usually flown at isolated fields.  Drones can be flown by anyone anywhere and that's more potential for people to be a@@holes.  And you know they are going to.

Instead of drones, substitute the word cars or even that US sacred cow guns.
Would that change the Government is going to have to put its foot down assessment?
Why would drones be any different?

In the US there's a substantial chunk of the population that loves to panic and ignore facts.
There are others that like to manipulate those that are susceptible
Don't be one of them.
2018-8-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

The thing is, the majority of drones and most rc helicopters are not easy to fly. Ever.
DJI drones are unique, in that they can hover and hold course. But not many other models do this.
You can’t let go of the sticks and expect your aircraft to stay stable. It will simply crash.

So saying that drones are easy to fly is bs. That’s a lie. They are not.

Go fly some, of them other brands, then come back here and share the joy. Hahaha

Most people here couldn’t fly much else, worth a corn cob pipe... 7D4BC5AD-6707-4464-A586-EB77B8384020.jpeg

RedHotPoker
2018-8-23
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great Post Christine96
2018-8-23
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

Big money is after the airspace below 400'. HAM radio went through this recently. The ARRL and thousands of HAM radio operators made their dissatisfaction known and the HAM bands were saved for another few years.
2018-8-23
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-8-23 07:46
What a terrible view point ... so pessimistic. I respect your right to it though.

i have been flying models of literally all types for over 55yrs. I've seen the changes in radio and control systems ... changes in construction materials ... construction itself ...

Aloha Nigel,

If the AMA is getting 50% of the new owners of new consumer drones as new members, they will be doing very well.  A great number of new drone owners do not comply with FAA registration or club membership, much less certification.  That is used to justify new legislation like the effort the OP is noting in this thread.

The AMA has had to do an about face on their previous policies (and prejudices) due to the blast of new consumer drones and drone technology.  Their government lobbying has been affected by all this and they are working with fliers, manufacturers and the FAA to come up with workable regulations.  So far they are doing quite well.  Unfortunately, many of the new consumer drone owners who do not register and do not belong to a club do not also follow the development of regulations and any regulation is a bad thing to them.  

If you look at the Part 107 regulations, they were written very well and in a balanced fashion according to their mandate and the current level of technology.  Alarmists aside, as long as hobbyists continue to try to be heard, the fact that they are the largest voting block regarding mUAVs by far will continue to translate into good FAA regulations.  One reason I am an AMA member is to learn about what they are doing for hobbyists.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-8-23
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-8-23 13:04
I seen similar alarmists in Europe until EASA took over and made sense out of the whole thing, throwing stones is always going to get hysteria started, we already have trackers and license. It’s best to apply the 80/20 rule to that stuff, 80% of it is sh#t and the other 20% is sh#te .

Aloha 007,

You do have an entertaining way of presenting issues and solutions!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-8-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2018-8-23 17:44
Aloha 007,

You do have an entertaining way of presenting issues and solutions!

What are you doing, and how.? Was a little worried about you Ken!!

I heard about the 200km winds with the hurricane, heading right towards you...

RedHotPoker
2018-8-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Like I said, take away DJI tech, and most rc fliers here would be taking the crashing course...

RedHotPoker
2018-8-23
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Christine,

Unfortunately, your pessimism is warranted regarding the behavior of some new consumer drone owners.  But the FAA is working with fliers, manufacturers, model airplane & mUAV clubs and state and local officials to resolve some of these irresponsible behaviors you noted.  DJI is on the panels that are developing solutions.  But the solutions DJI develops are not necessarily adopted like some try to say, particularly on this Forum.  Available technology allows solutions, FAA regulation is needed to require specific solutions.  

The result will probably make it harder to fly without knowing the regulations you have to follow in order to fly legally.  And that is not a bad thing because of the necessary concerns you noted.  If someone flies irresponsibly and ends up having their $1000 drone confiscated, maybe they will think differently if they choose to fly in the future.  We can only hope.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-8-23
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-8-23 17:49
What are you doing, and how.? Was a little worried about you Ken!!

I heard about the 200km winds with the hurricane, heading right towards you...

Aloha RHP,

The sirens just sounded as the hurricane was downgraded to Category 3.  Still plenty kick in that!  It is moving very slow as its head is chopped off by the cross-shearing high altitude winds that protect our islands.  Beside the wind speed decline, the speed of the hurricane itself has slowed down since early yesterday and the path has gone out of the forecast cone, all good.  But still, I would rather see it moving away faster!

We are charging our batteries anyway, so we can fly if it comes close.  Even though there is less of a threat, the storm rain will cause flash-flooding and water damage.  Unless it turns due North toward Oahu, the wind should not be that much of a problem.  The nice thing is the hurricane is like a giant vacuum and pulls the wind in the right direction for us on the Windward side of Oahu.  We expect 25 mph winds with 45 mph gusts until noon tomorrow Hawai'i time.  Weird thing is little rain is forecast in that time frame.  I refuse to believe that one!

Mahalo for your concern!  Still alive and kicking!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-8-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2018-8-23 18:59
Aloha RHP,

The sirens just sounded as the hurricane was downgraded to Category 3.  Still plenty kick in that!  It is moving very slow as its head is chopped off by the cross-shearing high altitude winds that protect our islands.  Beside the wind speed decline, the speed of the hurricane itself has slowed down since early yesterday and the path has gone out of the forecast cone, all good.  But still, I would rather see it moving away faster!

That doesn’t sound too threatening for your area. I’m glad to learn you are safe.

Thanks for the positive outlook and your optimistic attitude...  ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-8-23
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-8-23 20:02
That doesn’t sound too threatening for your area. I’m glad to learn you are safe.

Thanks for the positive outlook and your optimistic attitude...  ;-)

Aloha RHP,

It looks like Hurricane Lane is on a Hawai'ian Wind Surfing Vacation.  His speed is now half of the speed when he got here, so he is relaxing or as we say chillaxing.  He is wind surfing because the Big Island cut the Trade Winds out of his sail so now he has tacked North toward Oahu.  The upper atmosphere winds are chopping him down to size and he may be a Category 2 by morning, seduced by them Hawai'ian conditions.  He arrived as a Category 5.  But he continues to dump a lot of rain on the islands and tomorrow, we will begin to feel his presence.  Hilo on the East side of the Big Island got 20 inches since he arrived.  

By mid afternoon tomorrow, he will be getting more Trade Winds and be able to turn West again and head on back from his Hawai'ian Vacation.  Of course it will take a while before he can get up to speed.  He is a big boy after all.  Hopefully, by Saturday night, he will be clear of the islands and join the other weather systems to reminisce about his Hawai'ian Vacation.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-8-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

All in stride...

Glad you are waltzing Matilda throughout the near catastrophe...

RedHotPoker
2018-8-23
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

A few too many ifs,  buts and maybes IMO.  Very alarmist.
2018-8-24
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 944308 ft
Australia

Next we will need to tie String to our drones..  
2018-8-24
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
United Kingdom

But this is why bodies such As LARPAS in Latvia was formed. Most other countries have similar ... UK has BMFA (SMAE), USA has AMA ... plus the international body FAI has taken on board the matter despite its more Competition related remit.

The development of Helicopters amd especially electric versions caused a stir because of the vertical aspect and no longer need for large field. That 'scare' died a death once the Multi Rotor appeared ... Drone as it has mistakenly been called .... the lid came of the Paranoia Box when they started flying around housing estates, parks etc.

The Toy market latched onto a money spinner and now go to any toy shop and see what they have ... AND how they advertise them ... the wording on the box etc.

It has spilled over onto the fixed wing aircraft model scene ... "The easy to fly Beginners model ..." when any responsible person can apprecaite - that's not true. But they are not all people.

Nigel
2018-8-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Greg - TheHuski Posted at 2018-8-24 01:24
Next we will need to tie String to our drones..

Did you RTFM. Hahaha

D3198689-D808-40F0-8CF5-5F896EBA749C.jpeg

RedHotPoker
2018-8-24
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-8-23 15:00
Instead of drones, substitute the word cars or even that US sacred cow guns.
Would that change the Government is going to have to put its foot down assessment?
Why would drones be any different?

No it wouldn't because cars and guns were once like drones when the lack of regulation caused huge problems prompting the government to step in and put it's foot down.  There was a time after which cars became affordable to the masses you didn't even need a drivers license.  There was no age restrictions.  Kids could drive legally.   
2018-8-24
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-8-23 15:26
The thing is, the majority of drones and most rc helicopters are not easy to fly. Ever.
DJI drones are unique, in that they can hover and hold course. But not many other models do this.
You can’t let go of the sticks and expect your aircraft to stay stable. It will simply crash.

You just contradicted your own statement.  You said drones are not easy to fly and then you admitted DJI drones and a few others are.  So I guess according to YOU no BS or lies where told.      
2018-8-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Christine96 Posted at 2018-8-24 17:29

No it wouldn't because cars and guns were once like drones when the lack of regulation caused huge problems prompting the government to step in and put it's foot down.  There was a time after which cars became affordable to the masses you didn't even need a drivers license.  There was no age restrictions.  Kids could drive legally.

There has always been a paranoid element on drone forums, that's concerned that drone flying is about to end.
So far they have been 100% wrong and intelligent analysis would suggest they always will be.

If that sort of sky-is-falling conspiracy theory appeals to you and considering facts isn't important, then go for it and sign on to that way of thinking.

The video that started this off came out a couple of months ago and was heavily discussed here:
https://phantompilots.com/thread ... ying-in-usa.137061/

I would suggest looking at post #22 there before getting into a panic without any real reason to.
2018-8-24
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-8-24 18:11
There has always been a paranoid element on drone forums, that's concerned that drone flying is about to end.
So far they have been 100% wrong and intelligent analysis would suggest they always will be.

I never suggested drone flying is about to end.  I merely suggested that it may be heading for stricter regulation due to irresponsible behavior.  I do hope I'm proven wrong.  
2018-8-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules