Inspire 1 Inverted Flight
11025 169 2015-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JKT
lvl.4

United States

jnorthcott Posted at 2015-5-28 12:47
You know why I have a team of 3 people? It's l ...

wow you got some serious physiological problems!!!! going postal in this forum! anyone has the right to share what they want in this forum! he has the right to share the video and his experience with how the inspire went crazy! You are  NO BODY TO COME insult anyone in this forum, You  probably think because you got your company and two I1 that you can come and think that you are some Mr know it all,  Mr. righteous who never breaks the law and is perfect in every way?! you sound pathetic... you probably believe in your heart that you are the FAA OR SOME SORT OF OFFICIAL Authority THAT CAN  just come and rage at someone, JUDGE AND Use your filthy  language because you don't seem  have to have the mental stability to communicate your thought without sounding physicotic.  You know what's more dangerous to this society than flying a drone near "built up areas"  people like you!  I would be scare to have my little child get close to you!  Can't imagine how you probably get in the road! Seriously go get some help...  TC shouldn't let people like you with mental issues FLY ANYTHING! What a crazy breakdown you just had! grow up! GET A LIFE!  This is a community where we feel free to express and share our experiences, the good and the bad!
2015-5-28
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Tassiejeff Posted at 2015-5-28 21:19
Did you or your brother in-law set your iPhones to airplane mode? If not your RC could be compromise ...

Stop this nonsense about "airplane mode", "IMU calibration", "compass calibration" ...
If these things where an issue they should not be able to cause more then disturbance in the video feed or some drifting ... If they where able to cause a fly away like this, the Inspire 1 needs to be grounded permanently!

This is most probably caused by software issues alone ... (but I am hoping that it is hardware and that my bird is fine ).
Ironicly it´s the software that should provide us with pilot aid and fail safe features that is causing these fly aways!    
2015-5-28
Use props
smcbrearty
lvl.3

Canada

jnorthcott Posted at 2015-5-28 09:32
Seriously you people need to read. What does it say at the top of the second page "Exemption requi ...

Jnorthcott, if YOU read the requirements, he DOES NOT NEED TO GO to the second page.  The Second page is only for UAV that way more than 25-35 kg or using the aircraft for work or research.  Follow the work flow.
I use my aircraft for work or research - NO, It weighs more then 35kg - NO, you go to the nice big green icon "You don't need permission but you DO have to fly safely" and then it gives you Tips to fly safely.  At no point in his video did I see where he needed to follow the work flow for "you must apply for a SFOC" or you don't need permission, but you MUST meet the exemption requirements" or you don't need permission, but you MUST meet the exemption requirements and give transport..."

I fly with a $1000000 liability insurance policy, I have obtained SFOC when required.  I hate having to lose out on business because others are not playing by the rules.  What I saw in the video is something that should be benefitting EVERYONE here on the forum, including DJI having to finally step in and figure out what in the hell is going on with their product.  This includes YOU.  Heaven forbid this ever happened to you while you are doing a test flight and the aircraft does not respond.

On a side note, cities can claim and make rules all they want, they do not control airspace, only TC has the power to stop something from being in airspace.  The city can say you can't take off or land in a public space, but they can't say you are not allowed to fly over a public space.
2015-5-28
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Maybe it is B. Marley under a pseudonym getting his kicks ..lol
2015-5-28
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

nik@jetzak.com Posted at 2015-5-28 16:27
Agree. bird def not upside down.

Yes it is ... definitely !
2015-5-28
Use props
f1
lvl.2

United States

Hi Chowtime,

Any luck yet on the video of the flight record?  There are a lot of guys here, and a lot of guys on the other board interested in what might have happened.  While your excellent video is helpful, it is nowhere near as helpful as the flight record would be.  We could see the signal strengths,  and alert messages, and very possibly figure out what happened.  

2015-5-28
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

jnorthcott Posted at 2015-5-28 07:53
I have nothing against UAV's. In fact, I have 2 Inspire 1's and not had one issue. My issue is  th ...

"I'm on as a regular under a different name, but created this to look for stuff like this that can be reported."  Really...  wow says a lot about a persons character that you feel the need to hide behind a curtain of false identity while trying to be friends to others under a different name. Believed that's called two faced.

As your choice of words, actions and tenor are showing brilliantly when being asked to qualify and specify exact information of your claims and statements, or should I say your lack there of ability thereof  I will simply rest with that coming on here and screaming and yelling at somebody, calling them names truly wont get you anywhere. Personally if I was admin on this site I would use the source IP function and log in admin panel to figure out what your other user name is and ban the user names, the emails and the IP's as we simply dont need this or your actions on this forum

Ill let Petegould take it over from here.  
2015-5-28
Use props
jnorthcott
New

Canada

smcbrearty@roge Posted at 2015-5-28 22:02
Jnorthcott, if YOU read the requirements, he DOES NOT NEED TO GO to the second page.  The Second p ...

This is why people have no business being in this business. First off you have a bunch of, mainly Foreigner's, being combative about Canadian rules and regs. Just because you have regulations in your country doesn't mean that your regulations automatically apply to Canada.  Secondly the Canadian's who do contribute are providing WRONG information. So we have a guy, Shawn, from off the ground media, who says page 2 doesn't apply. Really, Let's go through the process one last time. I use my aircraft for work or research, NO! Next, It weighs more than 35kg, NO! Next, You don't need permission, but you do have to fly safely, YES! So, I'm not going to call Shawn from Keswick a dumbass because he will probably feel like one after this. OH I DON'T HAVE TO READ NO MORE!!!!! MORON, JUST BECAUSE IT SAYS ON THE FIRST PAGE THAT YOU HAVE A UNIT UNDER 35kg DOESN'T MEAN YOU ARE EXEMPT AND DON'T HAVE TO GO TO THE SECOND PAGE.

***TO FLY SAFE***, YOU NEED TO GO TO THE SECOND PAGE AND MEET THE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE WEIGHT CATEGORY. INSPIRE 1 - 2.1kg - 25kg. READ THE ITEMS. OH, BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! RIGHT AT THE BOTTOM IT HAS A ***DO NOT*** WHICH INCLUDES BUILT UP AREAS.

EXCERPT FROM ADVISORY CIRCULAR AC-600-004
GUIDANCE MATERIAL FOR OPERATING UNMANNED AIR VEHICLE SYSTEMS UNDER AN EXEMPTION

SECTION
(26) THE PILOT OPERATING UNDER THIS EXEMPTION SHALL ONLY OPERATE A UAV AT LEAST FIVE (5) NAUTICAL MILES AWAY FROM A BUILT - UP AREA.

NOTE: UAVS OPERATED UNDER THESE EXEMPTIONS ARE NOT REQUIRED TO MEET ANY TECHNICAL AIRWORTHINESS STANDARDS MEANING THAT THERE IS NO ASSURANCE OF THE AIRWORTHINESS OR CAPABILITIES OF THE UAV SYSTEM. THIS INCREASES THE RISKS TO PERSONS AND PROPERTY ON THE GROUND, THEREFORE, UAVS MUST NOT BE OPERATED NEAR POPULATED AREAS. BUILT - UP AREAS ARE CONSIDERED AREAS WITH GROUPS OF BUILDINGS OR DWELLINGS INCLUDING ANYTHING FROM SMALL HAMLETS TO MAJOR CITIES. ANYTHING LARGER THAN A FARMSTEAD SHOULD BE CONSIDERED A BUILT UP AREA.

THIS IS RIGHT FROM TRANSPORT CANADA'S WEBSITE. JUST BECAUSE THEY CAME OUT WITH AN INFO-GRAPHIC IT DOES RELIEVE YOU OF YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO FURTHER INVESTIGATE ALL THE REQUIREMENTS.

THIS ADVISORY IS FOR EVERYONE ONE, HOBBYIST AND COMMERCIAL OPERATORS. I SAID IN AN EARLIER RESPONSE, BRIAN'S ACCIDENT ALBEIT, UNFORTUNATE, COULD HAVE HAPPENED TO ME WITH AN SFOC. THE DIFFERENCE IS WHETHER OR NOT TC ISSUES A FINE!

SO FOR SOMEONE WHO CLAIMS TO BE A PROFESSIONAL SHAWN, YOU STILL DON'T GET IT! BUT COME ON SHAWN, YOU AND EVERYONE WILL CALL ME STUPID AND I AM WRONG. SO WHO HAS THE PROBLEM. PERSONALLY I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE THINKS OR DOES. I'VE READ ENOUGH ON HERE WHEN SOMEONE DOES MAKE A SUGGESTION OR GIVES FEEDBACK, THEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE. SO BETTER TO COME OUT BLAZING THAN TRYING TO BE POLITE. FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO TELL ME I HAVE PROBLEMS, AND FEEL THE NEED TO PSYCHOBABBLE YOUR RESPONSES. LOOK IN THE MIRROR!

2015-5-28
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

I really wish we had an active moderator for this forum.  Jnorthcott is really showing his true colours and should be banned for his language, his attitude and his forum etiquette.  His 'Regular under a different name' should also be banned.  He comes across as quite stupid, so a quick check and match of his IP address should also reveal who his 'Alter Ego' is, as I doubt he has taken steps to either hide or change it.

"Clearly you must be a christian. Now go home and beat your wife!!!!! Cry Baby"  Is this really the best retort a "Successful Business owner and employer of three" can come up with?
I wont even offer you the respect of calling you sir when I say you are a liar and a fraud.  I think you are more like a spoilt petulant kid than a mature adult.  And if I am incorrect, you were probably bullied as a child.
Because you dont even have the courage to post here under your original username, I suggest you crawl back underneath the pathetic rock from which you emerged as you have nothing to contribute and not an ounce of civility.
2015-5-28
Use props
JKT
lvl.4

United States

LOL  THE ONE CRYING IN THIS FORUM IS YOU!  winning ....  "The good folks at Transport Canada have a nice reporting website so I screen captured your video and sent it to them with your details."  let me guess you went and you cried to your mom telling her some one wants to hurt my business......   grow up! apparently I am not the only one in here who notices that you have some mental problem... you surely need some professional help... now you bring religion to this conversation?!!! lol ha ha ha, you sound amusing I can officially let you know that you are physicotic!  you probably bring up the beat your wife because that's what you probably do?? Hope not!  well that's if you are married and if you are I feel sorry for your wife having to deal with a crazy guy like you,  that's Assuming that' you do have a wife and if you dont't it's obvious why no one would ever want to marry a man like you ! you want to come as a bully to this forum and then you can't handle how people react to your  uneccessary comments.  You sound like a fool. Your better off just not saying anything.
2015-5-28
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

jnorthcott Posted at 2015-5-29 00:42
THIS IS RIGHT FROM TRANSPORT CANADA'S WEBSITE.

If you had arrived here with a civil tone and provided that information, it would have been useful to fellow Canadians.  However, on your government's own website, its infographic omits some of that information.  Hobbyists do NOT tend to do deep statutory research before engaging in their hobby.  Frankly a lot of them open up the box and fly without looking at ANYTHING.  But someone who goes to the proper government website, looks at the materials supplied by the appropriate regulatory agency to educate hobbyists as to their responsibilities, and follows that guidance, is NOT an idiot when the guidance is insufficient.  And calling them one brands you as everything you have been called in this thread.

My guess as to the reason why you feel the need to report every violation you can find here is that your in-person behavior mirrors what you have demonstrated here - in which case the only way you will have any clients is to be the only game in town because you have driven everyone else out of business.

My sympathy to your fellow countrymen.
2015-5-28
Use props
jnorthcott
New

Canada

Ph02on Posted at 2015-5-29 00:50
I really wish we had an active moderator for this forum.  Jnorthcott is really showing his true colo ...

Actually I have 22 employees and they all love working with me because we all feel the same way about people like you! So I guess TC is a bunch of Liars and Frauds as well. I'm just pulling from the information I have and clearly know how to read better than you. You're all pissed off because someone has told you that you can't fly in a park. man oh man and you say I've got problems. Gosh, I'm getting responses from the UK. I am so honoured. Anyone one in Greenland, how about Kazakhstan. Where is Boart when you need him.
2015-5-28
Use props
jnorthcott
New

Canada

PeteGould Posted at 2015-5-29 01:00
If you had arrived here with a civil tone and provided that information, it would have been useful  ...

OK Pete, you win! I'll apologize for my rude comments and sorry Brian for calling you and others a bunch of idiots, morons, and swearing on this forum. ok, so now will you take the information seriously? and yes, if I can put someone out of business I will, not because I want to monopolize the market. I don't want anyone killed. Little story, when I was living in Toronto, up in cottage country, some teens were horsing around on watercraft. I'm sure someone will correct the story and tell me I'm wrong. but in a nut shell, someone got killed. After that it was years in the making, but we all have to have boat licenses now. Everyone in the beginning thought it was stupid! They all said, I'm not getting a license. I can do what I want. I've been boating for years. When the first tests started coming out. The failure rate was higher than 60%. All those people knew exactly what they were doing right???

Anyway, I'm not going to bother with this anymore. Going on vacation! Kids, take care of the shop for me! Over and Out!
2015-5-28
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

For the record, its either..."over OR out"...not both
2015-5-28
Use props
jnorthcott
New

Canada

dbeck@promobox. Posted at 2015-5-29 01:48
For the record, its either..."over OR out"...not both

See, no matter what, even if I would have been civil in the beginning, there is always someone who has to be right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over_and_Out

Really you're going to correct me on something that people have used since the inception of radio transmission??? Really????
2015-5-28
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

jnorthcott Posted at 2015-5-29 02:09
See, no matter what, even if I would have been civil in the beginning, there is always someone who ...

Well... you DID set the tone of the thread.  It doesn't turn on a dime.

As to the Canadian rules: based on the way they're written, it sounds as though almost anything we would ever do with a UAS, if we were in Canada, would be prohibited.  We do a lot of corporate video work - companies like the idea of an aerial of their campus as the voiceover drones (pun intended) on about "Here at the Ferambus Kazoo Corporation, we take pride in our corporate citizenship...."  I don't know too many corporations that are five miles away from any built-up areas.  So I'm glad they don't do that here.

At the moment the biggest problem here is that if you apply for and receive a 333 exemption, the boilerplate terms of the exemption require that you be 500' from any uninvolved person, vehicle, building or vessel.  How you're expected to shoot a corporate campus overview without ever being within 500' of a roadway escapes me as well.  A lot of these rules need to be better thought out because if they're impracticable, people just won't follow them at all - and the benefits of the rules never take effect.
2015-5-28
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

jnorthcott Posted at 2015-5-29 02:09
See, no matter what, even if I would have been civil in the beginning, there is always someone who ...

Housewives of DJI
2015-5-28
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-5-28 18:42
You seriously need to take a chill pill, and your language isn't very pleasant, just insulting.

W ...

Already sent a direct email to a contact at DJI to look at this post.  I agree this post has turned unnecessary, out of control and borderline obscene. I personally would love to know this users other user name so we can see who is behind the true colors since he claims to of created this user name just to rat on people and cause problems.
2015-5-28
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

All, I have been monitoring this thread.  I have cleaned up the language.  I apology to those that were not that bad but I need to be fair.

Brian and I have communicated.  He has sent his Inspire to his dealer and we have provided his dealer with a prepaid shipping label.  When the unit arrives in LA we will download the Flight Data Log.  We are hopeful that there will be meaningful data.  We have found in many of these cases the data files are incomplete or corrupt.  I hope that is not the case.  Thank you PureSQNut of the heads up.  This thread began with the video and became a venue of personal attacks.  That will not be tolerated.  
2015-5-28
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

United States

f1@frankschaffe Posted at 2015-5-28 23:17
Hi Chowtime,

Any luck yet on the video of the flight record?  There are a lot of guys here, and a l ...

Sounds good. I'm just uploading the file now.
2015-5-28
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-29 04:07
All, I have been monitoring this thread.  I have cleaned up the language.  I apology to those that w ...

Thank-you Ed
2015-5-28
Use props
Atlas
lvl.3

United States

Holy crudola!  Gone one day and just read the thread.  

As I was reading, I could hear "I Shot the Sheriff" in my head and thinking "Oh no, not again".

Chowtime - Really sorry to see the flight ending in disaster.  I feel for you.

Ed - thank you for taking care of it.

2015-5-28
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

United States

Here is the flight log from the flight. Basically it end at the time that the I1 takes off.  

2015-5-28
Use props
f1
lvl.2

Hong Kong

Thanks so much for posting that.

I'm not at home with access to my Inspire but I think if the app suffers a lost connection with the aircraft it should give you an alert in the app.  

In your case the flight time freezes at 4:07 (about 3:20 Youtube time.)  So for starters it appears the app locked up.  

Of course you  had a lot going on, but do you perhaps remember if the app responded normally after the crash when you we shutting everything down?  (Don't blame you if you don't I wouldn't.)

In your log of flights is there another one listed after this one?

Once again thanks for posting this!
2015-5-28
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

w1der Posted at 2015-5-28 21:51
Stop this nonsense about "airplane mode", "IMU calibration", "compass calibration" ...
If these t ...

I am so agree with you - every time this flyaway issues ar commented - someone ask this Q : Did you do the compass and IMU calibration ? Did you do the IMU calibration at location ?
If I should be so unlucky to have a flyaway and report it here on this forum - I would have to answer - No of course I did not made IMU and Compass calibration. I  almost never do - and the reason is I do not fix what is not broken. I check the values - and if they are ok - I hoover for 30 sek - so tries the sticks i all directions - and off we go. so fare so good (knock knock)
Hope you get your bird replaced chowtime - and hope Dji can find helpful information in your logfiles.
Sorry that your thread in a way was hijacked
2015-5-28
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

United States

f1@frankschaffe Posted at 2015-5-29 04:46
Thanks so much for posting that.

I'm not at home with access to my Inspire but I think if the app s ...

I didn't do anything with the app after. The screen was black with no signal the entire time. I just hit the home button. Didn't even know that you could retrieve the flight log until you told me how.(pretty cool I must say)
2015-5-28
Use props
f1
lvl.2

Hong Kong

Yes,I see.

When you went to close the app, can you recall if it was locked up and unresponsive?
2015-5-28
Use props
Kagama
lvl.1
United States

It looks like the IMU went 180 Degrees out of phase when it started malfunctioning by turning itself around 180 degrees and then flipping over.

When I was in the Air Force we had a jet that had it's TCAS 180 degrees out of phase and the jet was reporting that it was inverted and flying backwards on the TCAS display. So with this I would assume that the Inspire was trying to correct it's orientation.

Also note that the camera wasn't trying to flip itself over when it was in it's uncontrolled decent.
2015-5-28
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904990 ft
  • >>>
United States

Chowtime which version of iOS where you using at the time of the flyaway ?
2015-5-28
Use props
DJK
New
Flight distance : 44154 ft
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-29 04:07
All, I have been monitoring this thread.  I have cleaned up the language.  I apology to those that w ...

Ed,

Some of the replies still show the inappropriate language above the response...
2015-5-28
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJK Posted at 2015-5-29 10:50
Ed,

I made another pass and cleaned the remain offensive language up.  
2015-5-28
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJK Posted at 2015-5-29 10:50
Ed,

2015-5-28
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

United States

HFI Posted at 2015-5-29 08:39
Chowtime which version of iOS where you using at the time of the flyaway ?

IOS 8.1 iPhone 6. Even if the app crashed, doesn't the controller operate independently from the phone?
2015-5-28
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904990 ft
  • >>>
United States

chowtime Posted at 2015-5-29 15:35
IOS 8.1 iPhone 6. Even if the app crashed, doesn't the controller operate independently from the p ...

Hi Chowtime,

Thanks for your response. Interesting that you where running iOS 8.1 at the time of the crash. I have started a thread (http://forum.dji.com/thread-16429-1-1.html) regarding a possible explanation for some of the flyaways

No hard evidence just a theory at the moment.
2015-5-29
Use props
f1
lvl.2

Japan

chowtime Posted at 2015-5-29 15:35
IOS 8.1 iPhone 6. Even if the app crashed, doesn't the controller operate independently from the p ...

Yes it does.  The most unique thing about your event (IMO) is the very high climb at the loss of signal.  Do you recall if you had set a Return to home height, and if so what was it.  I realize that no matter what it was it shouldn't have commanded a climb to the very high altitude that you Inspire climbed to.
2015-5-29
Use props
JKT
lvl.4

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-29 11:18

Hi Tahoe any word on what can be causing all this fly aways? I have yet to hear from DJI LA as to what might had cause my Erratic fly, I barley got an email from DJI saying that my bird was just check in and that's because I called two days ago. I have seen many people sharing the same issue, it makes it hard to fly with confidence when you know that there's problems like this. Hope we can hear from you.  thanks
2015-5-29
Use props
Yapstrapper
lvl.2

United States

I saw this inverted flight video today on national TV, bet DJI marketing just loved that
2015-5-29
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

jnorthcott Posted at 2015-5-28 12:47
You know, I was going to ease off but now screw it. You know why I have a team of 3 people? It's l ...

You are just bitter because there are so many drones around now that you can't see a future in this industry for long. Heck no sooner did I buy one , every real estate agent in town bought one! Maybe not an Inspire, but they all have them now. They pull em out the trunk and shoot a few pics and bam, done!
No work for that here... am I bitter? Nope.. I use it for other things totally unrelated to video and pictures. I use it to get information on tree jobs I have... height, stems per hectare condition of stand etc. Might put one of these in each of my trucks as soon as dji get their shit together and de bug these things completely. Although after the latest firmware I must say there have been no dropouts or funny business.
As for your comments implying that I may be stupid or something to that effect. OK maybe I didn't create dynamite or the telephone but I do run a successful business. And I can afford to crash my UAV into your house or car and just wipe my hands of it. So maybeeeeee your wrong to assume such stuff?

Good luck with your limited career as a UAV specialist. Soon you will be one of millions just like you.  
2015-5-29
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Tassiejeff Posted at 2015-5-28 21:19
Did you or your brother in-law set your iPhones to airplane mode? If not your RC could be compromise ...

Na, I've tried with and without airplane mode and it makes no difference.
2015-5-29
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Hey Chowtime, your video reminds me of a joke I once heard.. goes kinda like this. A wise Chinese man says....woman who flies plane upside down have clack up!
2015-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules