Inspire 1 Inverted Flight
11024 169 2015-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chowtime
lvl.1

United States

f1@frankschaffe Posted at 2015-5-29 21:19
Yes it does.  The most unique thing about your event (IMO) is the very high climb at the loss of s ...

My RTH was set to 80m. I made sure just in case. I tell you, I scoured the forum for every tip to minimize anything going wrong on this maiden.
2015-5-29
Use props
philkaboom
lvl.1

United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-28 08:47
This is from the TC website and as far as I can see the owner lives in Surrey, not Richmond.   I co ...

Eh, I'll presume that you were actually responding to a certain other person's post and not actually mine Jim? I simply stated that I wouldn't get into the debate on whether or not rules were broken and concentrated on a possible cause of the incident.
2015-6-3
Use props
starship
lvl.4

United States

chowtime Posted at 2015-5-28 02:59Before take off, I had acquired 16 satellites for the GPS not that it matters as the controller itself lost signal and connection.

Sorry for your loss.  I saw your video on Youtub a few days ago, and cringed.   I don't think I have ever locked more than 9 satellites....... ever.
2015-6-4
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

philkaboom Posted at 2015-6-4 15:31
Eh, I'll presume that you were actually responding to a certain other person's post and not actual ...

Yep!  ;-)
Definitely was responding to a different post.  
2015-6-4
Use props
starship
lvl.4

United States

nik@jetzak.com Posted at 2015-5-28 16:27
Agree. bird def not upside down.

Bird is most definitely upside down.  I labeled it for those who are maybe directionally challenged.  I can't see why anyone would be busting his chops.  The only thing I dissagree with is the motors running.  If they were running, that quad would have been going like the proverbial "Bat out of Hell" on the way down, and not just falling.

2015-6-5
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

This is not inverted "flight" ... it´s a "regular" crash.

When the battery is almost out the auto pilot tries to do an "emergency landing" and then it turns the props off...
(At this hight the emergency landing wont be very effective as it takes to long to reach the ground.) ...

When the props are shut off the bird starts falling and turns upside down during the fall.
The wind passing thru the props causes them to spin (this explains why it sounds as if the bird is still "running" as it gets close to the ground.
If you don´t believe this ... search for "auto rotation" on you tube.  

The camera is still running as the battery isn´t completely dead yet.
I have experienced this when I hade a battery drop out ones ... the bird auto landed but did not turn itself off right away.
That explains the footage.

Case closed!  

I have no explanation for the fly away though ... And it seams as if no one does ... not even DJI!?
2015-6-5
Use props
Karman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1972 ft
Canada

chowtime Posted at 2015-5-28 02:04
Yes, did the IMU calibration at the location. Checked to check IMU and it said it was done. Compas ...

Hi Sorry for your loss! you say you did your home work, we all miss things when we are excited on our maiden flight.

Just wanted to point out that when you flew the Inspire to your position testing the gimbal I'm pretty sure that your antennas were facing forward! and not up as per the manual says.

I wonder if this was the cause of conection loss?
2015-6-5
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

Spain

w1der Posted at 2015-6-5 23:32
This is not inverted "flight" ... it´s a "regular" crash.

When the battery is almost out the auto ...

Can a fixed pitch prop auto-rotate? I've flown 600 size CP helis and auto rotate but a fixed pitch with no horizontal speed? I'm quite sure the motors were running all the way down. The sound was too loud for it not to be.
2015-6-9
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

Spain

Karman Posted at 2015-6-6 08:21
Hi Sorry for your loss! you say you did your home work, we all miss things when we are excited on o ...

They were not facing upright but at 45 degrees. I don't believe that would have been the issue as I've flown many other things around there farther and this was only about 20m away.
2015-6-9
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

chowtime Posted at 2015-6-10 11:59
Can a fixed pitch prop auto-rotate? I've flown 600 size CP helis and auto rotate but a fixed pitch ...

No ... It can not "auto rotate" in that sense ... I reffered to that only to explain that the blades will start spinning (in high speed) due to the wind passing through them.

2015-6-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules