Mavic 2 Pro Vs Mavic 2 Zoom - Poll - Which one and why?
5687 36 2018-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PaulArcher
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

Hey there guys,

I want to buy one of the two (because I'm poor) and review it and make comparisons with Mavic pro and Mavic Air, but I don't know which.

The prices have been released to the public and I will buy it from the official website because it seems the cheapest and most reliable way.

There's about a $200 difference between the two and I'm pretty excited about the zoom feature too, so it's always an option, but I can't refuse that 1 inch sensor with better low light performance. Mavic-2-Series_closeup_3.jpg
And I also think it would make for a better comparison (in terms of improvement) versus the old Mavic Pro (can't belive I say it's old).

What would you pick and why?

Btw, do you think the verrsion with the goggles is worth it?
mavic 2.jpg
Single SelectVote, Total 159 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-8-23
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

There's a hell of a lot more to the Pro than just better low light performance in the camera spec.  Its a massive difference in quality.
Zoom is an interesting feature but im not sure how often it'll be used once the novelty factor wears off. And for that you've sacrified sensor, image processor, dynamic range and various other camera options.

You CAN upgrade the cameras at a later date.

As for googles, pointless for most of us.  In most countries they're illegal to use unless you have a spotter with you and most people dont bring a spare person along at all times.
2018-8-23
Use props
PaulArcher
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-23 14:57
There's a hell of a lot more to the Pro than just better low light performance in the camera spec.  Its a massive difference in quality.
Zoom is an interesting feature but im not sure how often it'll be used once the novelty factor wears off. And for that you've sacrified sensor, image processor, dynamic range and various other camera options.

How can the cameras be upgraded later? Beats me.

I know the goggles seem pointless, but they seem to be the closest thing to acutal sensation of flying I'd ever get... so it's a childhood dream.
2018-8-23
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there. We do appreciate bringing this topic to us. I suggest you to compare each drone before buying. You may check the link below to see the comparison of Mavic 2 Zoom and Mavic 2 Pro. Should you have further question, please let us know. Thanks.

https://www.dji.com/products/com ... ndsite&from=nav
2018-8-23
Use props
JordanM
lvl.4

Mavic Pro 2!
2018-8-23
Use props
donthaveanyidea
lvl.4

Anyone here want a priority shipping code for Mavic 2 plz PM me I get one from the 'grab floor'
2018-8-23
Use props
PaulArcher
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

donthaveanyidea Posted at 2018-8-23 16:28
Anyone here want a priority shipping code for Mavic 2 plz PM me I get one from the 'grab floor'

Hey, I would be interested in that, could you please answer my PM? Thanks!
2018-8-23
Use props
donthaveanyidea
lvl.4

PaulArcher Posted at 2018-8-23 16:38
Hey, I would be interested in that, could you please answer my PM? Thanks!

Alright  thx
2018-8-23
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

I got the Pro because of the 1" Hasselhoff.

Had my fill of 1/2.3 sensors which is what the original Mavic had.
I ordered mine from my dealer, so I have a Priority code available if anyone wants it.
PM me.
2018-8-23
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

Hi my friend and I get a total of 3 dji mavic 2 priority shipping code but we are not using it so if you want it please pm me

2018-8-23
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

You need a "Can't Decide" option. Cause I seriously can't decide.
2018-8-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pro - bigger sensor.
2018-8-24
Use props
fansfb1bf277
lvl.3
Flight distance : 104449 ft
Ukraine

we need PRO + ZOOM, maybe mavic 3 will have it
2018-8-24
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

We need Cinema 4K... Every other DJI drone got it, even the "old" Mavic. Can't understand why they don't have it on the Mavic 2 Pro.
2018-8-24
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

fansfb1bf277 Posted at 2018-8-24 00:56
we need PRO + ZOOM, maybe mavic 3 will have it

More likely a phantom 5 will have it.

Fitting a physical optical zoom onto a big sensor is going to make a gimbal and camera bigger and heavier than can be attached to a mavic body.

Its more suitable for a phantom sized frame and power.
As to which to get, i see no reason to get a zoom.  Other than the zoom its the same sensor as the M1 (with all its inherent problems) and so on.  Its really a refresh more than an update.

I can see the "zoom" being used as the entry level mavic model for people who dont already own one but the pro being the only model existing owners actually upgrade to.

2018-8-24
Use props
Jason WAI
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3136201 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Prefer Pro but love the features " Dolly Zoom" that come with Zoom model
2018-8-24
Use props
Igordur
lvl.4
Flight distance : 620696 ft
France

I don't need 10-bit image quality.  On the other hand the discretion brought by the zoom seems to me very interesting. So Mavic zoom for me.
2018-8-25
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Wouldn't it be nice if the Mavic 3, or even a Mavic 2 Platinum comes with interchangeable gimbals with both the Hasselblad and Zoom cameras...
2018-8-26
Use props
WickedWingman
lvl.3
United States

PaulArcher Posted at 2018-8-23 14:59
How can the cameras be upgraded later? Beats me.

I know the goggles seem pointless, but they seem to be the closest thing to acutal sensation of flying I'd ever get... so it's a childhood dream.

you, sir, need to try out FPV freestyle.
2018-8-29
Use props
djiuser_iTYmGJ1Ipw3c
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

I think if you're a professional photographer the Mavic 2 pro is probably the best choice for you, however for someone like me who enjoys having different cinematic tools at my disposal, not too interested in post production, while sharing video and photos, facebook, and youtube, the zoom has a fine camera. In all honesty you will not see much difference on youtube between the Mavic 2 pro or the zoom.  At this time I'm happy with my Mavic Air it does pretty much what I need in a small package, I do wish it had a zoom camera though.
2018-8-29
Use props
DedeMavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 649403 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

1 inch sensor and variable aperture... no brainer for me
2018-8-29
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

Check this one out before you decide.

Good luck.

2018-8-29
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

I like the ability to zoom so that I can keep a nice distance away from subjects when needed.
2018-9-4
Use props
Tridiver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4459344 ft
  • >>>

Aeromirage Posted at 2018-8-23 16:52
I got the Pro because of the 1" Hasselhoff.

Had my fill of 1/2.3 sensors which is what the original Mavic had.

Hasselhoff probably only has 1"!!!!
2018-9-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>

For you especially of you are short of cash I would buy the Mavic Air. Much lighter and an incredible drone
2018-9-4
Use props
Gneorg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 91640 ft
Estonia

I have chosen Mavic 2 Zoom, but later i can always update my Mavic 2 to pro, cameras can be changed (but only by DJI)

2018-9-4
Use props
Will_Bartlett
lvl.1
Canada

I chose the Mavic 2 Pro as I need higher quality video from a better sensor

Here's a review I did: youtu.be/orOpS5BbPl0
2018-9-14
Use props
dancopter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Pro for the sensor as I mainly do photography rather than video.
2018-9-18
Use props
SkinJob2501
lvl.3

United States

I got the zoom, plenty of reasons. I shoot primarily video...of buildings and places you cant easily get to or that its not safe to fly a drone as close as needed without a zoom lense. I infrequently fly at night, and am reasonably capable at video editing. The added $200 cost of the pro was a detractor because it was 2/3 the price of a fly more combo, so I got the Zoom and a Fly more combo and still had enough to get a quality SD card. I won't say that, in the future i wont get a pro as a second drone or that in the future I wont fly more at night but the Zoom checks all the needed boxes for me. That being said, it was still a tough decision and it came down to a recommendation.

Goggles are lame. We are photographers, not drone racers (some of us are but theres far superior goggles out there for that). Invest in an extra battery, a quality case, filters or something beneficial (looking that nerdy and vulnerable is not cool).

These are, of course, my personal opinions.

-SkinJob2501
2018-9-18
Use props
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

most reliable mavic 2 pro
2019-1-1
Use props
gmozo
lvl.4
United States

i suggest both but if i were in your shoes i would pick the zoom just because if you wan to get closer to something and worrying the risk then the M2 zoom is the right drone for you
2019-1-15
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mavic Pro 2, camera quality on low level light is great! Goggles do add a nice way to fly and you see a lot more of what your flying over. Defo consider but not essential if your on a budget.
2019-1-19
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Pro, because I mostly do Photography.  No goggles, they make me seasick.
That said, The Air gives better images in perfect conditions, than the Pro in poor conditions. Still fly my Air and loving it.
2019-1-21
Use props
TheVegeta1974
First Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

I here people say the mavic 2 is better
2019-1-22
Use props
MagicRide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

I have both the M2p and zoom and I end up using the zoom a lot more. Nice to have that ability to zoom in on subjects (animals, buildings, people etc)  without getting too close. The picture quality on the zoom is outstanding in fact it's a sharper image than the pro. The pro is nice when you want to do post editing and use at night. As it's been discussed that 1" sensor is not fully used and in FOV mode the video quality has poor resolution. When flying the pro I'm always shooting in HQ mode. Don't get me wrong the 2 pro is a great drone but it's more for those who like be creative after the fact.  
2019-3-13
Use props
Gregg F
lvl.3
Flight distance : 40846 ft
United States

I got the Zoom over the Pro because I bought my drone for fun more than photography, and like the camera tricks the Zoom does.
2020-4-13
Use props
Gregg F
lvl.3
Flight distance : 40846 ft
United States

I got the Zoom over the Pro because I bought my drone for fun more than photography, and like the camera tricks the Zoom does.
2020-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules