Mavic Pro + Go 4 App + Crystal Sky - Aircraft Disconnected!
2283 14 2018-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SRQ-FL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 69639 ft
United States

Happened twice in last two flights (never before). The Go 4 App reports Aircraft Disconnected in the top left corner of Screen. The remote controller is still connected to the Mavic and responsive. It seems that the app is losing connection with the controller. The app is responsive (not frozen).
While in flight, I tried getting out of the app and restart with no luck.
I landed the Mavic and restarted it with no luck. It stablished connection with the controller but not the App.
I restarted the controller and voila, the app connected.
Any ideas on possible causes and fixes for this issue?
Any suggestion on how to restablish App/Controller connection while in flight? I do not think that it is a good idea to restart the controller while in flight.

Some Info:Using DJI Mavic Pro + Crystal Sky (Ultra Bright) attached directly to controller.

Had the Mavic for about 1.5+ yrs w/no issues.
Had the Crystal View for 8 months with no issues.

This issue started happening within days of DJI's release of the new Mavics! Planned obsolescence?

2018-8-23
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Don't think it's planned obsolescence. Don't suppose you have gone through and refreshed the firmware on all devices?
2018-8-23
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Which version of DJI GO4 do you have?  Is it 4.2.21? I am flying MA with CS and Spark with CS with no issues so far. I had this disconnection once, but it was the cable connection problem to MA controller
2018-8-23
Use props
SRQ-FL
lvl.2
United States

For the past 5-6 months had not a single issue until couple of days ago twice back to back (same firmware same hardware). I do not like to alter things when they seem to be working.

I use my drone for work and can not afford downtime due to bad firmware release. First time I updated GO4, the new update removed the offline map which rendered my drone useless to do work.

I am always reluctant to update firmware upon new release. I usually like to wait for a while before updating to the latest. ( I think I may have to update to latest software/firmware)

Any one have suggestion on how to re-establish GO4 app connection while in flight. The only way that I was able to reconnect is by restarting the controller (not practical while in flight).

Also read somewhere on this forum that disconnect issue may happen due to image/video caching. I will delete all cached data and stop caching going forward.

2018-8-24
Use props
SRQ-FL
lvl.2
United States

nixuspix Posted at 2018-8-23 22:02
Which version of DJI GO4 do you have?  Is it 4.2.21? I am flying MA with CS and Spark with CS with no issues so far. I had this disconnection once, but it was the cable connection problem to MA controller

The cable that I use is built-in to the Crystal Sky mount that I use. The adapter is screwed to the controller and the CS snaps onto the adapter.

If I have a cable issue, then I have to buy a new adapter to test. Also, if a cable issue, why would restarting the controller reconnect the GO4 app (my guess would be a software issue). On the other hand, if it were software, why would the issue suddenly appear without doing any software/hardware modifications?
2018-8-24
Use props
I Got DC'ed!
lvl.1
Flight distance : 325 ft
United States

I've had the same issues (using standard cable/connection method)  along with several other owner/operators.  Really hoping that admin or dji will post (sticky post) some useful information about this widespread ongoing issue.
2018-8-24
Use props
fans2c9e3427
lvl.1

Same problem here with last firmware update I now lose video and states aircraft disconnected while still responds to the remote I can not Reestablish video. Never happened before update and now happens every time I use the drone. I can’t fly out of visual range any longer until problem is fixed
2018-8-24
Use props
SRQ-FL
lvl.2
United States

The DJI mavic coupled with with the Crystal Sky was the perfect system I had for my aerial photography business. I have had no issue with my original Mavic setup for almost a year. Now, I have lost confidence to use my drone for work.

We have a new Mavic version released and all the sudden, the older Mavics are having issues with connecting with the Go4 App. Coincidence, I don't think so. DJI, Please chime in and tell us what is going on.  Please fix the issue with the "AIRCRAFT DISCONNECTED" issue.

DJI, the ball is in your hands to fix this issue. I will not be forced to buy a new version of your product because you decided to break a perfectly working version of your older product. DJI, Please respond.
2018-8-24
Use props
smashing
lvl.1
United States

+1 on this entire thread, exactly the same experience, to the letter. In general the Crystal Sky for me has always had worrisome connection problems with the Mavic controller. It always seemed tricky to get them to connect in the first place, certainly at the beginning. Then I found a repeatable procedure that seemed to work - turn on drone, then controller, wait for connection, then turn on the Crystal Sky, in that order. I also swapped the USB cable out for a 'gold' Amazon Basics USB cable, which felt like it helped, although I'm not sure if it did. Certainly some USB cables did not work at all.

This all worked swimmingly for a while.... Then things got weird a couple of months back, I started having weird connection issues during flight. It caused me to stop flying altogether. It just felt too unreliable. It felt I had no choice but to wait for a firmware update (or two), to fix things.

Then this week, I dusted off my Mavic, updated all firmware, including the remote controller, and things were better again. Now today, two flights in a row, complete disconnect during flight, and no way to get it reconnected during flight. I tried the exact same things as everyone above. The only way to get it reconnected is to restart the controller, which obviously is scary as all hell to do during flight.

I don't suspect foul play, I feel something was going wrong before the new Mavic 2, and perhaps its been partly addressed with the latest firmware, but not totally.

I've eliminated the USB cable / connection as a possible issue. If you disconnect the USB cable, the Crystal Sky top right says 'Disconnected',  with a grey background. When it happens randomly during flight, the message is 'Aircraft Disconnected' against a red background. This, and the fact you have to restart the controller, suggests to me the remote controller is at fault.

The first time it happened I thought my drone was gone. But as others have said, the remote controller does stay connected, so you can do a RTH, which saved my ***, because I was flying totally blind at the time.

In separate news, why oh why can't we get an option to disable upgrades and upgrade notifications, once we find a firmware version that works nice. I'm tired of this nonsense.
2018-10-12
Use props
smashing
lvl.1
United States

smashing Posted at 2018-10-12 14:52
+1 on this entire thread, exactly the same experience, to the letter. In general the Crystal Sky for me has always had worrisome connection problems with the Mavic controller. It always seemed tricky to get them to connect in the first place, certainly at the beginning. Then I found a repeatable procedure that seemed to work - turn on drone, then controller, wait for connection, then turn on the Crystal Sky, in that order. I also swapped the USB cable out for a 'gold' Amazon Basics USB cable, which felt like it helped, although I'm not sure if it did. Certainly some USB cables did not work at all.

This all worked swimmingly for a while.... Then things got weird a couple of months back, I started having weird connection issues during flight. It caused me to stop flying altogether. It just felt too unreliable. It felt I had no choice but to wait for a firmware update (or two), to fix things.

The Aircraft Disconnected message is top left, not top right of course.  More than 2 mins to edit would be nice DJI as well. Thank you.
2018-10-12
Use props
mystic1906
lvl.3
Flight distance : 307917 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am having the same "disconnected" issue although I don't have Crystal Sky. I am using my old Samsung Galaxy S7. Has happened to me at least 10 times in the last 2 months. I am on the most recent firmware release. It's a very unnerving problem to experience while flying. I have been searching for a solution but haven't found one. Has DJI responded to this issue at all?
2018-11-14
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Well, you could go back to the rev. levels you were at when things were stable...
2018-11-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Saw similar problems with my Mavic Pro P, R.C., and CrystalSky Ultra running GO-4.  Solution was to send them into DJI for repair/replacement.  I would suggest sending MP, RC, & CS in together; let DJI sort out which is problem.  Lessening possibility that you have to send in X, after Y resulting in increase in No Fly time.
2018-11-14
Use props
Harrierpro
lvl.1
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I had the same issue yesterday.  My drone set up is identical to SRQ-FL.  The Go 4 App reported to me I had the latest firmware. During a flight with video recording turned on for about 5 minutes, I pressed the stop recording button on the Go 4 App screen.  Immediately, I saw the 'Aircraft Disconnected' message appearing on the top status bar and everything on the screen except the status bar disappeared and the screen was frozen.  The two front red lights on the drone did not come on, which should have come on when video recording is stopped.  After about 15 seconds or more, the two front red lights eventually came on but the Go 4 App screen was still frozen.  I still had control to the drone and landed it.  I did not switch off the drone and controller at that stage because I wanted to test whether the Go 4 App connection could be re-established by quitting and re-entering it.   After re-entered Go 4 App, it simply not recognizing the model of my drone and just stayed at the Inspire 2 screen without any response on the 'Go Fly' button.  I then restarted the drone, the controller and the Go 4 App and then everything became normal.
2019-3-16
Use props
Calleserra
New

Philippines

Harrierpro Posted at 2019-3-16 00:51
I had the same issue yesterday.  My drone set up is identical to SRQ-FL.  The Go 4 App reported to me I had the latest firmware. During a flight with video recording turned on for about 5 minutes, I pressed the stop recording button on the Go 4 App screen.  Immediately, I saw the 'Aircraft Disconnected' message appearing on the top status bar and everything on the screen except the status bar disappeared and the screen was frozen.  The two front red lights on the drone did not come on, which should have come on when video recording is stopped.  After about 15 seconds or more, the two front red lights eventually came on but the Go 4 App screen was still frozen.  I still had control to the drone and landed it.  I did not switch off the drone and controller at that stage because I wanted to test whether the Go 4 App connection could be re-established by quitting and re-entering it.   After re-entered Go 4 App, it simply not recognizing the model of my drone and just stayed at the Inspire 2 screen without any response on the 'Go Fly' button.  I then restarted the drone, the controller and the Go 4 App and then everything became normal.

Any official solution with the AIRCRAFT DISCONNECTED issue? I'm still having it with the latest app and firmware.
2023-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules