Don't rely on DJI’s Geospatial Environment Online (GEO)
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
15matjan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1158258 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Very disappointed with DJI's GEO System which is totally unupdated and unreliable. I'll give you only one example: the case of SPAIN, where the airspace's REAL and LEGAL conditions are correctly described by its regulatory body ENAIRE: https://drones.enaire.es/On DJI's GEO System helliports, small airfields and not so small aerodormes as well as many forbiden, restricted or controlled flightzones simply do not appear. This is very trouble inducing for drone users, especially for those unfamiliarized with flight laws and regulations. Recall there is a 8km from all these of no fly zone (in some cases, flight is allowed with prior authorization of the airport, etc.)
I think if GEO System can't be kept updated and 100% reliable is better to eliminate it. People rely on it and can get into big troubles flying in a restricted area while thinking they fly legally. Of course, no notifications through the DJI's GO or GO4 apps during the flight either...
Hope it is not a marketing strategy to sell more drones and avoiding to scare too much the potential customers...Drones are becoming a mass phenomenon and, the more drones will be flying, more menaces for the whole aviation world which, in turn, reacts controlling and restricting more and more the airspace available for RPAS. For this reason I think is of utmost importance, the users have available real, updated, trustworthy information. Voluntarily law breakers affect us a lot.Involuntarily law breakers, because of inaccurate information, shouldn't exist nor affect any of us.

Yes I know there is a disclaimer on the same page: ''
While we've made every effort to provide comprehensive information, this page is not a substitute
for a pilot's own good judgment. As a DJI pilot, you are solely responsible for assuring your flights are conducted safely and in
accordance with all local laws and regulations.''
but still think that keeping GEO as it is now, is a totally lose of time, trust and safety for the users as well as for the team working on it on behalf of DJI.

2018-8-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It makes a change for someone to complain that DJI don't restrict you enough.
So many US flyers complain about the opposite.
2018-8-24
Use props
P4P+_Brazil
lvl.4
Brazil

Labroides Posted at 2018-8-24 02:00

True .
2018-8-24
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

Labroides Posted at 2018-8-24 02:00

If the only thing you understood from my post is I'm complaining for not being "enough restricted" don't bother further ...

I said and recalled DJI Geospace claiming their system as being: "a best-in-class geospatial information system providing DJI users with up-to-date guidance on areas where flight may be limited due to safety concerns or regulations."
And I'm forewarning users in SPAIN that this system it is not only incomplete, obsolete and outdated but can also cause big trouble when flying in an area which DJI says is OK to fly but ENAIRE (FAA's equivalent to understand what is all about) says IT IS NOT and NOT ALLOWED. Legal troubles and financial too.
Consequently, involuntarily breakage of the existing rules, will be followed by further restrictions which I try to avoid (as well as DJI might be interested too).

So simple.And very easy to correct this situation.

I bet DJI's GEO US map is updated according to FAA's last info, which they did not in case of SPAIN and many other EU countries.
If their US map it is not updated perhaps DJI risks a fine. If Spain's map is obsolete, the fine will be for the unaware flyers trusting an obsolete GEO...
Therefore no reasons for you to worry, your DJI friends will be fine and have no financial losses such a case occuring.

As for the US flying rules...if unhappy and given your vast flight experience on this forum, be brave and complain to FAA.

2018-8-24
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

One cent question: Do you obey flight rules in your country ?
2018-8-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

15matjan Posted at 2018-8-24 02:46
If the only thing you understood from my post is I'm complaining for not being "enough restricted" don't bother further ...

I said and recalled DJI Geospace claiming their system as being: "a best-in-class geospatial information system providing DJI users with up-to-date guidance on areas where flight may be limited due to safety concerns or regulations."

I read dozens of posts from US flyers complaining about the opposite situation and thought it was an interesting contrast.

As for the US flying rules...if unhappy and given your vast flight experience on this forum, be brave and complain to FAA.
I live further from FAA land than you do.
There's no reason for me to complain to them about anything.
2018-8-24
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

Labroides Posted at 2018-8-24 02:53
If the only thing you understood from my post is I'm complaining for not being "enough restricted" don't bother further ...
I read dozens of posts from US flyers complaining about the opposite situation and thought it was an interesting contrast.

Unfortunately it seems to me you haven't got the point this topic was about.
Have a G'Day down under (correction: I think is evening for now)!
2018-8-24
Use props
P4P+_Brazil
lvl.4
Brazil

15matjan Posted at 2018-8-24 02:51
One cent question: Do you obey flight rules in your country ?

Absolutely yes, it was interesting because this is the first thread I read in the forum  complaining about too few restrictions in DJI fly safe data.
2018-8-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

15matjan Posted at 2018-8-24 02:57
Unfortunately it seems to me you haven't got the point this topic was about.
Have a G'Day down under (correction: I think is evening for now)!

I do understand the point of your post and found it interesting.
Unfortunately it seems to me that you have no sense of irony.
2018-8-24
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

Labroides Posted at 2018-8-24 03:14
I do understand the point of your post and found it interesting.
Unfortunately it seems to me that you have no sense of irony.

I do my best to have sense of humour instead ...

And, to come to a more constructive side of the discussion, I think I'll try to elaborate a list with national "FAAs" so anyone could consult and compare local information on it.

Any helpful link or info from AUS and elsewhere welcomed

2018-8-24
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

P4P+_Brazil Posted at 2018-8-24 03:02
Absolutely yes, it was interesting because this is the first thread I read in the forum  complaining about too few restrictions in DJI fly safe data.

No, by no means I was complaining on few restrictions. There are too many, and everyday the laws are tougher.
For instance, the so much awaited and supposedly aimed to relax & ease the flying rules in SPAIN turned out to be more restrictive and as far as I know same happened in Canada, in Portugal, Namibia and many other countries.

There it will always be the "rule breaker", the brave, selfishly rude thinking youtuber. We'll have them and they'll harm the rest of the drone user's family.

But at least I try to avoid breaking the regulations on an involuntary basis.

I use to travel and drone filming in many countries.And I like and need to rely on updated information about local laws. Which unfortunately, I definitely can't trust on when it deals with GEO app.

2018-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules