Commercial Use
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SilkPurse
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2657 ft
United States

In February the FAA issued proposed rules governing the commercial use of SUAS (Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems).  Those rules can be found at http://www.faa.gov/uas/nprm/.  I think the rules are pretty close to what any reasonable operator would want.  Regulations require a period of public comment before the rules go into effect, so it'll take at least a year. Ceiling is limited to 500 ft., must be line of site, no reckless flights, weight limit less than 55lbs, no flying in controlled airspace. Mostly pretty reasonable.  The one sticking point that I see is that the regs require operators to pass some kind of test.  It's important that they refer to "operators" not "pilots" as that probably means testing will be less rigorous.

The Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) - I kid you not! has announced a partnership with Fly Robotics and has begun offering an online course that may fill the need.  Although not official, the FAA has long used outside sources for training materials and tests.  After all, who at the FAA knows anything about flying a quad? The SUAS class at AMA can be found here: http://amaflightschool.org/UAS-COURSES. I'f you're interested, you'll have to join AMA, but it's not prohibitive.  They seem to be a well established organization and have been active advocates for all kinds of remote controlled flight.

I think responsible users will want reasonable regulations, and I think the FAA is off to a pretty good start.  There is a widespread public misconception that drones are inherently evil, probaly because of the military connection and exemplified by a truely absurd Audi ad I saw featuring a swarm of threatening drones.

The folowing is my opinion; I am not advocating or reccomending what I intend to do.  I am willing to accept a certain amount of risk (for which I'll be compensated), so I am offering aerial real estate photography and videography services using my new P3A.  To minimize risk I will adhere to all proposed FAA regulations including taking the AMA test.

BTW liability insurance for commercial use of drones is readily available.  I'm using Costello insurance in Tempe AZ.

I'd appreciate hearing your well considered (or not!) opinions.
2015-5-27
Use props
blauer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 209403 ft
United States

I am considering the same thing and have been doing research for the past month or so.  I am wondering what you are paying for insurance.  Does the insurance cover your drone or is it just liability?
2015-5-27
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

Funny, I could have written the exact same story as you SilkPurse - minus the Real Estate part.  I did join the AMA a few weeks ago, and am about to take that Sport Pilot written exam prep class offered by Fly Robotics - AMA offers a discount on the material.  AMA does have some insurance ($25,000) just in case you slam your PH3 into your neighbor's car or something.  

I'm sure none of this is really necessary, but joining AMA and taking the Sport Pilot written exam are all pretty cheap.  I figure the membership in an official organization that's been established for decades, the added insurance, the passing of the Sport Pilot exam all show a certain level of professionalism and personal responsibility.  I mean, worst case, you clip the ID cards to your flight bag so that when the doomsday passerby's come over to tell you you're not allowed to fly those dangerous things around here, you can show them you're a trained professional, invite them over to watch, and hopefully turn them with some good will.  : )
2015-5-27
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

silkpurse-what insurance company is your insurance from?  Is it a major one?
2015-5-27
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

>>  AMA does have some insurance ($25,000) just in case you slam your PH3 into your neighbor's car or something.  

I don't think this would be covered under the AMA. They have very strict rules as to where and how you're allowed to fly if you want to be covered. FYI.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-5-27
Use props
SilkPurse
lvl.2
United States

blauer Posted at 2015-5-28 05:12
I am considering the same thing and have been doing research for the past month or so.  I am wonderi ...

$600/year.  Steep but worth it, I think.  Liability only not what is known in the aircraft insurance business as "hull" insurance
2015-5-29
Use props
SilkPurse
lvl.2
United States

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-5-28 05:36
Funny, I could have written the exact same story as you SilkPurse - minus the Real Estate part.  I d ...

If you are looking to sell a service it is well, I think, to be able to say you're insured. Especially something like this that gets a bad rap almost every day in what passes for news these days.
2015-5-29
Use props
SilkPurse
lvl.2
United States

HermosaDrones Posted at 2015-5-28 07:18
silkpurse-what insurance company is your insurance from?  Is it a major one?

The broker is Costello insurance in Tempe AZ.  The policy is from US Specialty Insurance in Plano TX.  Never heard of them, but well rated.
2015-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules