Video is Jerky and stutters
13893 8 2015-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
onemofocop
New

United States

First post here, hoped it would have been a positive one...oh well. I have recorded two seperate videos with my Phantom 3 Pro. In each the video is horribly stuttery (is that even a word?). It records for a second, then freezes, then jumps a second or two forward and freezes for a second or two again. It does this non stop creating an unwatchable video. I have tried both MOV and MP4 mode with no difference.

Any Ideas?
2015-5-27
Use props
antonio.faccini
New

Canada

I took my first video with the 4k camera setting.  When tried to watch it on my PC I was very disappointed because the image kept "jumping".   I realized that my PC might not have the capacity to process 4k video and ended up converting the 4k video to 1080hd and it worked.

After that I noticed that the video quality can be changed in the pilot app to less than 4k.  I'll use 1080hd until my pc is upgraded to something that can manage the 4k videos.  Hope this helps.
2015-5-27
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

Most likely the size of 4K footage is taxing your system. I had the same issue. (On a Mac) Try the VLC player. It's free. For some reason VLC gives me smooth continuous playback where as QuickTime chokes and stalls like you've described. If VLC doesn't give smooth playback you're probably at the mercy of your computers processor. 4K footage is quite a beast so don't underestimate that as the reason vs thinking something is wrong with the footage, Phantom or camera.
Also you can download another free but very powerful app. MPEG Streamclip. It's for Mac or PC. With this you can resize you beautiful but huge 4K down to 1080. You shouldn't have any issues viewing the newly resized 1080 on most computers.

I'd always shoot in 4K. The amount of detail is incredible compared to the same shot captured in 1080.

Good luck.
2015-5-27
Use props
long
lvl.1
United States

I use PowerDirector for processing.  The video played with default programs in the PC can be choppy.  In PD13 this is usually not the case.  You can get a trial version of PD13 to play with to check things out.
2015-5-28
Use props
aliasmith
New
Australia

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2015-5-28 09:24
Most likely the size of 4K footage is taxing your system. I had the same issue. (On a Mac) Try the V ...

This solution seems to be spot on ... It certainly worked for my 2010 Mac.  It wasn't even handling the 2.7K video from my Phantom 3 Standard.   iMovie & Quicktime were using over 95% of the CPU at times.
Glad someone took the time to answer as it is not a common problem in the threads.  So yeah try the VLC ... its free.  You may need to close any heavy tasks running in the background.  Check CPU usage with activity monitor in utilities.
2016-2-10
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Re: your thread title.

I have a cousin the same way.
2016-2-10
Use props
kt301060
New
United Kingdom

I found my frame rate was set to 50 moving to 25 solved the playback issues.
2016-3-1
Use props
nick4098
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I use a MacBook and I found the same problem when watching the footage in the photos app.  However, when I created a movie using iMovie and watched it, it was perfect.
2016-3-1
Use props
Rex59
lvl.3
Flight distance : 24354 ft
United States

Thanks to those that recommended the VLC media player. I was having horrible video stutter and freezing using Windows media player and a number of others but VLC plays my videos flawlessly.
2016-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules