Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
I did a Firmware update. And wish I hadn't!
837 11 2018-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djordan2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79291 ft

I was helping a friend update his P3S firmware.  The drone flew and handled normally until the update. I don't know what the heck happened, but after the update the range dropped to 750 feet, and the RC loses connect after about 5 minutes after a successful connection.  I get a RTH signal at about 750 feet and a red light on the RC unitl.  The drone is still controllabe with the sticks, but I lose video and she comes home.  The new firmware is 1.9.20 and the App is 3.1.43.  I don't remember what it was before.  But I do know that my friend bought the drone new about a year and a half ago, and never ever did an update.

I would like to return the firmware to something older if  possible.  I'm not sure how to do that.  Any suggestions?

2018-8-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

If you have a link to old firmware, just install it.

RedHotPoker
2018-8-24
Use props
simonorme1
lvl.1

I had/ have video loss after an update contacted dji and was told to down grade the software, tried it still the same,why can not dji sort the problem out with new upgrades as it's their fault,it's not like these are £50 £60 quadcopters,very poor dji
2018-8-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

simonorme1@sky.com Posted at 2018-8-24 13:40
I had/ have video loss after an update contacted dji and was told to down grade the software, tried it still the same,why can not dji sort the problem out with new upgrades as it's their fault,it's not like these are £50 £60 quadcopters,very poor dji

Probably because not everyone has the same issues You are experiencing?!

RedHotPoker
2018-8-24
Use props
djordan2
lvl.4

I never do updates on my own equipment.  But this drone belongs to my sister who is critically ill in the hospital.  She bought it second hand and has never flown it.  I thought I would bring it down here with me and check it out further.  I flew it up where she lives, and it flew great.  I thought I would give Firmware updates one more chance.  Now I wish I hadn't!  I'll mess with it over the weekend and try to downgrade the firmware to the next lowest one.
2018-8-24
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I learned my lesson on updates too.  It's a roll of the dice.
2018-8-24
Use props
djordan2
lvl.4

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-8-24 17:40
I learned my lesson on updates too.  It's a roll of the dice.

In all fairness to DJI, they are not the only ones to have problems with firmware. My company dispatches us technicians to our service call by a program called Remote Tech.  We rely heavily on it to get our calls, input time and service data, and just about all communications with eh company dispatch.  I start my day by accessing Remote Tech on my home computer.  I use Firefox for my Browser.  Always have!  For years now.  But yesterday morning the company did a firmware update to the system.  Now nobody using Firefox, Edge or any other Browser than Chrome can get into Remote Tech.  This was not discovered until late afternoon when the complaints started rolling in.  So all of us had to download Chrome and install it so we could go to work.  We have to put it on our home PC, and our Laptops.  We have also discovered other little bugs in the new program that really keeps you on your toes when inputting data.  I'm getting too old for all this change!
2018-8-24
Use props
djordan2
lvl.4

Okay guys...I fixed it!  Here's what I did.  I attempted to downgrade the firmware to a lower version by use of the SD card.  It continually failed.  So this morning, I thought I would try one more time.  I figured that I screwed up the firmware and it was never going to work again.  But when I turn everything on and got connected, the Go app was telling me that I needed to update the firmware.  It said the new version, 1.9.20,  was available.  That is the version that got me into trouble in the first place. So I decided to try it one more time.  I downloaded and installed the new version once again.  Afterward, everything seemed normal on the workbench.  So I took it out in the desert for a test flight.   To my surprise, it flew flawlessly.  I took it out to 1,350 feet before initiating RTH.  It came back home and landed perfectly.  I didn't dare go out any farther at this time.

So here is what I think happened.  I think that sometimes when you do an update, it doesn't install properly on the drone for some reason.  By trying to downgrade, it makes the Go App think that you need to update.  Do the update again thru the App.  Maybe even a couple of times if necessary.  It worked for me.
2018-8-25
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Glad it didn't brick it.  When I did my p3s, the main board and battery went kaput.  $232 to DJI.
2018-8-25
Use props
WD9EON
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

djordan2 Posted at 2018-8-25 09:19
Okay guys...I fixed it!  Here's what I did.  I attempted to downgrade the firmware to a lower version by use of the SD card.  It continually failed.  So this morning, I thought I would try one more time.  I figured that I screwed up the firmware and it was never going to work again.  But when I turn everything on and got connected, the Go app was telling me that I needed to update the firmware.  It said the new version, 1.9.20,  was available.  That is the version that got me into trouble in the first place. So I decided to try it one more time.  I downloaded and installed the new version once again.  Afterward, everything seemed normal on the workbench.  So I took it out in the desert for a test flight.   To my surprise, it flew flawlessly.  I took it out to 1,350 feet before initiating RTH.  It came back home and landed perfectly.  I didn't dare go out any farther at this time.

So here is what I think happened.  I think that sometimes when you do an update, it doesn't install properly on the drone for some reason.  By trying to downgrade, it makes the Go App think that you need to update.  Do the update again thru the App.  Maybe even a couple of times if necessary.  It worked for me.

I always update through the app, have never had an issue doing it that way.  Glad you got it sorted.
2018-8-25
Use props
djordan2
lvl.4

WD9EON Posted at 2018-8-25 18:10
I always update through the app, have never had an issue doing it that way.  Glad you got it sorted.

Yes, I agree.  I did do the update through the app the first time. I used the SD card to try and downgrade.  The last successful attempt was through the App.  I flew it again yesterday in a fairly strong wind.  It did okay.
2018-8-26
Use props
WD9EON
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

djordan2 Posted at 2018-8-26 05:57
Yes, I agree.  I did do the update through the app the first time. I used the SD card to try and downgrade.  The last successful attempt was through the App.  I flew it again yesterday in a fairly strong wind.  It did okay.

Glad everything worked out.  Have a great day!
2018-8-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules