Updated DJI Go suddenly needs my IMEI WT?
1630 5 2018-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Philip Couling
lvl.2
Flight distance : 448081 ft
United Kingdom

So DJI Go just updated.

Granted my drones need grounded due to my phone being out of action for a couple of months I may have skipped an update.

But now I can't get into DJI Go because it suddenly requires access to my phone's number and IMEI.

DJI you have no reason to require this!!!

Under GDPR law you are on very shaky ground asking for it!

What are you thinking banning me from the app unless I give you this information?

Screenshot_2018-08-24-22-17-34-885_com.lbe.security.miui.png
Screenshot_2018-08-24-22-17-44-045_dji.go.v4.png
2018-8-24
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

if you look at the entire set of permissions requested by the Go 4 App you would be very concerned.

I have tended to have stripped dedicated flight devices and not use my general phones and tablets.
2018-8-25
Use props
Janaus
lvl.1

Australia

I had the same threatening demand messages when I decided to upgrade my Huawei tablet from ver 4.1.9 to ver 4.3.0. First time around I said NO to both demands, and then found I was unable to use the app. I uninstalled it and then reloaded the app, this time saying 'yes' because I don't have a sim card in the tablet so no phone calls can be made anyway, plus I always set the tablet into 'flight mode' when using it so that wi-fi and bluetooth are disabled.  The app then was functional - except for a strange issue that I have referred to earlier tonight, which is that the tablet screen goes completely black after I set the drone up to fly. Strangely I can still take photos and record videos  with the black screen.
2018-8-28
Use props
Yachtsman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 605466 ft
United Kingdom

All these extra permissions are probably due to all the extra regulations we will all suffer in the future with drone registration and licencing, due shortly such as here in the UK.

Brave new world
2018-8-28
Use props
Philip Couling
lvl.2
Flight distance : 448081 ft
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 2018-8-25 02:15
if you look at the entire set of permissions requested by the Go 4 App you would be very concerned.

I have tended to have stripped dedicated flight devices and not use my general phones and tablets.

Let's be clear here.

There are two forms of permissions in Android:-
(1) - The old form, where the app declares every permission it might never need in its manifest.
(2) - The new form where an app requests permission to do something (right) before it actually does it.

DJI go has good reason to request type 1.  In china you subscribe with a phone number not an email.  Likewise asking for access to text messages is legitimate because it's looking to auto verify a phone number.  But that's for permissions listed in the app's manifest.  

That's not the problem here.

DJI Go, is actively trying to read my phone number or IMEI despite the fact I'm already logged in with my email.  It then has a tantrum because I've refused it access.  It has no legitimate reason to behave this way.

It's not required regulation, because DJI Go already knows my region

IT IS AGAINST REGULATION by way of GDPR law.

Can someone from DJI please comment. This is not acceptable.
2018-8-28
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

It's easy, just down rev the Go4 app. Once you have a stable setup: AC, Controller, Go 4 app, and tabby/phone, all working happy, happy, happy, all in complete harmony, leave it alone.

You can find earlier version ( trial and error method here) of the Go4 app here:

https://apkpure.com/dji-go-4-for-drones-since-p4/dji.go.v4
2018-8-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules