Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Slightly red-faced noobie question
931 11 2018-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ian Swarbrick
lvl.2

I`ve just ordered my first ever drone, having held out all this time for a foldable drone with a 1inch sensor.
The red-faced part is that I don`t own a Smartphone.
I have an ipad mini 2 running various photography-related applications. But have been content all these years with an old Nokia phone.
Do I need a device with a cellular connection to fly the Mavic Pro 2?
For example will the uploading of the DJI app using wifi at home on say an Ipad mini 4 or pro be enough?
Thanks humbly
Ian

2018-8-25
Use props
Gazmg
First Officer
Flight distance : 195358 ft
United Kingdom

Hi there look at this link your find two columns one for Apple (not for me) and Android devices that work.I woul;d buy a device purely for the DJI as i did...Then with the other link bellow you can get rid and turn of all un needed apps etc .

https://www.phantomhelp.com/Tips ... go-updated-daily.18

http://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/ ... ep-by-step-guide.31
2018-8-25
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 183694 ft
  • >>>
United States

You do not need a device with a cellular connection to fly. You will need an Internet connection to perform some commonly used functions -- like installing firmware/software or downloading the maps in DJI GO. Those tasks can be performed at home before you head out to fly.
2018-8-25
Use props
Ian Swarbrick
lvl.2

thanks both. Just the info I needed.

I`d found a similar link Gazmg but yours is even more detailed

https://3dinsider.com/dji-go-devices/
2018-8-25
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 12685266 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ooohhhh a noobie, next question will be a "flyaway" question.
2018-8-25
Use props
Gazmg
First Officer
Flight distance : 195358 ft
United Kingdom

Lucas775 Posted at 2018-8-25 05:59
Ooohhhh a noobie, next question will be a "flyaway" question.

lol..........
2018-8-25
Use props
Ian Swarbrick
lvl.2

"Ooohhhh a noobie, next question will be a "flyaway" question."

Couldn`t resist, could you
2018-8-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 6342851 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hey good luck, take your time starting out and you will have a long time using your M2P, just remember before you go flying that you are logged into the app, if your not you would need WiFi to log on, so just stay logged in and you should have no problems.
2018-8-26
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1171719 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Take your time Ian and read the manual, safe flying and happy landings buddy. Never be worried about asking for advice, the guys and gals on here will bend over backwards to help. Welcome to the mavic club.
2018-8-26
Use props
TX99517
Second Officer
Flight distance : 274649 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-8-26 11:37
Hey good luck, take your time starting out and you will have a long time using your M2P, just remember before you go flying that you are logged into the app, if your not you would need WiFi to log on, so just stay logged in and you should have no problems.

I'll concur with this one.  Make sure you are logged into the app before you leave an area with wifi.  I went and flew in an area with poor cellular and was not logged in.  I was able to luckily grab a weak signal, get logged in and flying.  Good luck.
2018-8-26
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Personally i am android but seem to remember guys saying that mini 4 is a good devise for dji drone flying. Perhaps ask the forum for clarity on this cause if you have one then perhpas you dont need another devise. But anyway yes, as others have said you do need a smart device. If you will seek to buy a new device my recomendation is to buy get a device as recommended by dji. other devices do also work but it seems quicker support is provided to users with recomended phones. Read the manual - there is a lot of good stuff in it that will help reduce your risk considerably. Be careful of flying in the wind. Mavic is powerful and will handle well but any one of a number of things you could do wrong as a newbie will increase your risk of a flyaway. Take your time - go slow - there is a lot to learn - good luck - have fun .
2018-8-26
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for your inquiry, the mobile device that you're planning to use was not yet tested with our DJI GO 4 app and Mavic 2 Pro, however, there's a possibility that it will work perfectly due to the capability of your device. I'm afraid that we cannot ensure the stability of the app since we haven't tested this device. Regarding the query, the cellular data is not necessary for you to fly the drone. Yes, you can update the firmware and the application if there will be updates using the wi-fi. Please see the image below for your reference of our tested devices. Rest assured that we will be providing more option when in terms of phone compatibility. Thank you for understanding

2018-8-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules