Battery stuck in Inspire 2.
2706 19 2018-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

One battery came out normally, but other was stuck in the I2.  Pressing down on the eject button, it just refuses to release.

Been fighting with it for some time.  Finally, I really smashed the button in and pried the thing out and it popped out with a loud snap.  The rails on the side of the battery are okay, but looking that release mechanism and it seems it has an issue.

When pressing down on the the eject or release button, that plastic latch on the side within the rail does not go down as far as the notch, it seems it does not want to fully clear the slide by maybe 0.020" and why it is hanging onto the battery.

Been thinking about filing that latch down a bit so it clears the slide's notch when the button is pressed.

Ideas?

2018-8-25
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. We apologize for the inconvenience. Can you provide a picture showing the damage?
2018-8-25
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-8-25 11:18
Hi. We apologize for the inconvenience. Can you provide a picture showing the damage?

Thanks Wanda.

I took it outside to photograph the latch in the sunlight.  When I kept pressing down on the eject/release button to show how it didn't go below the slide-in notch, I heard a snap.  Then it drops below the slide notch and seems to be working again.

It sounded like some spring snapped into a notch or something, but now the latch drops lower into the notch to clear the battery clip so it can be removed.

Guess it is fixed for the time being.  Would be curious as to what the snap was about and why after it did it the latch is working right.

I think I read someplace in the past about the release button not working right, but can't find it.
2018-8-25
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

The release button(s) are two, one each for each battery. You must depress them one or both at a time.
2018-8-25
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-8-25 16:29
The release button(s) are two, one each for each battery. You must depress them one or both at a time.

Did that.

When it failed, pressing both buttons only moved the latches down enough where one battery released but the other stuck.  Both latches moved down the same amount, but both did not clear the channel by maybe 0.020".

Once I began to photograph it, a click was heard when pressing both (My thumb's big enough that I can press both at once anyways.) and then both latches would move all the way to the bottom of the area cutout for the latches and they cleared the channel easily.

Something in the mechanism that sounded like a spring out of position and snapped when I pressed it and it began working again as it should.

I thought someone here had a faulty release mechanism and replaced it.  Can't find it.
2018-8-25
Use props
BagoDJIoperator84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
South Korea

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2018-8-25 16:46
Did that.

When it failed, pressing both buttons only moved the latches down enough where one battery released but the other stuck.  Both latches moved down the same amount, but both did not clear the channel by maybe 0.020".

Is the drone still under warranty? If so I would take it for a replacement or have someone look at it?
2018-8-25
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2018-8-25 12:36
Thanks Wanda.

I took it outside to photograph the latch in the sunlight.  When I kept pressing down on the eject/release button to show how it didn't go below the slide-in notch, I heard a snap.  Then it drops below the slide notch and seems to be working again.

Hi. Thank you for the response. Is there any physical damaged shown in the aircraft? Did it affect the flight performance?
2018-8-26
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2018-8-25 16:46
Did that.

When it failed, pressing both buttons only moved the latches down enough where one battery released but the other stuck.  Both latches moved down the same amount, but both did not clear the channel by maybe 0.020".

I find that using the center of my finger tip on the middle button and then rolling my finger to the outer button works well. You should be OK now.
2018-8-26
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
United States

Well, it broke!

I did the firmware update and all went well using the iPad Pro (Windows 10 with Assistant 2 didn't work!) to do the firmware update to .0300.   Saw it did the battery update too during the firmware update.  Did the calibrations along with VPS too.  Yay!  So far so good!

Charged the batteries back up, and then one refused to lock in place on the I2.  Turns out the release button's center pin is now stuck down along with the latch on the left side (Viewed from rear.).  From the other forum, seven or eight people also had this issue so it sounds like this is more common than not.  Eject plastic mechanism is more fragile than expected.  Part #17 (Battery Compartment) is about $100 plus labor.  Out of warranty by 5-6 months.  Ugh!

Be leery if the battery latching mechanism acts up or the release button begins to feel funny.  Sign of failure coming up.

Wonder if some of these "It fell out of the sky" events could be the latch mechanism failing?  When mine failed, the battery would not seat and lock and keeps getting shoved out the back of the I2.

2018-11-18
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 11-18 06:18
Well, it broke!

I did the firmware update and all went well using the iPad Pro (Windows 10 with Assistant 2 didn't work!) to do the firmware update to .0300.   Saw it did the battery update too during the firmware update.  Did the calibrations along with VPS too.  Yay!  So far so good!

Sorry to hear your battery retention unit broke. Yes they are made from plastic, but it seems to be a good design.

I do not believe this problem has anything to do with the Inspire 2 aircraft falling from the air. The Inspire 2 can continue to fly with only one battery or enough that you could safely land. The Battery problem is more about the voltage drop in the pack causing the motors to stop.

All the best and speedy repairs

Rich
2018-11-18
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 11-18 09:18
Sorry to hear your battery retention unit broke. Yes they are made from plastic, but it seems to be a good design.

I do not believe this problem has anything to do with the Inspire 2 aircraft falling from the air. The Inspire 2 can continue to fly with only one battery or enough that you could safely land. The Battery problem is more about the voltage drop in the pack causing the motors to stop.

Thanks.  I had to order some Wiha drivers as mine doesn't have a Torx 6 and 9 bit in it.  Might take a couple of weeks to get to it.  I got a cheap Harbor Freight set but they don't fit snug.

I also ordered some "Permatex Threadlocker for Plastics" too in case I need it.  I've had bad luck with the Loctite Blue where it eventually crumbled the plastic where some metal screws went into a plastic mount (Not a drone.).

Still, the number of people having an issue with the Inspire 2 battery compartment latch is disturbing on the Inspire Pilots forum.  Now I join them.  Hope they've beefed up the replacement piece, but given the continual plastic prop fitment issue I somehow doubt it.
2018-11-18
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 11-18 09:38
Thanks.  I had to order some Wiha drivers as mine doesn't have a Torx 6 and 9 bit in it.  Might take a couple of weeks to get to it.  I got a cheap Harbor Freight set but they don't fit snug.

I also ordered some "Permatex Threadlocker for Plastics" too in case I need it.  I've had bad luck with the Loctite Blue where it eventually crumbled the plastic where some metal screws went into a plastic mount (Not a drone.).

It might be worth the investment instead of harbor fright tools.... pick up the Ifixit  tool set. The bits are very well made and fit tight.  back Friday sales are coming up soon
Rich

tool kit 64 piece set $30

Go nuts tool set of 112 pieces for $60
Edit: Black Friday sale the 112 piece set is only $49.99 free shipping
2018-11-18
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 11-18 14:11
It might be worth the investment instead of harbor fright tools.... pick up the Ifixit  tool set. The bits are very well made and fit tight.  back Friday sales are coming up soon
Rich

That second tool set looks very promising.  Oddly, iFixit also has the DJI Part 17 Battery Compartment piece too.  Wonder how that happened.

I think the toolkit needs a digital torquing screwdriver though.  Might increase the price a bit.    https://www.amazon.com/Cedar-Scr ... uring/dp/B004P3GV6U

Merry Xmas...maybe...but I doubt it.  
2018-11-18
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 11-18 14:51
That second tool set looks very promising.  Oddly, iFixit also has the DJI Part 17 Battery Compartment piece too.  Wonder how that happened.

I think the toolkit needs a digital torquing screwdriver though.  Might increase the price a bit.    https://www.amazon.com/Cedar-Screwdriver-Capacity-0-20-35-00-Measuring/dp/B004P3GV6U

Holy Cow... that is expensive torque driver!!

Ifixit is really good about sharing help information and parts when they can.  I have many of their tools and they offer a life time tool replacement policy. Replaced the screen on the iPad mini 4 using parts and tools from Ifixit. saved money and my device

Christmas is coming soon....

Rich
2018-11-18
Use props
OverlookFilmStudios
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5677631 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing this.  I just started having the exact same issue with the battery release not going all the way down.  Couldn't get mine to snap in place like yours, so I filed down the tip a little and it's working fine so far.  Sounds like a new battery compartment is on the list of parts to order.  Really wish that DJI would use higher quality materials when you're talking about spending $6-10K on an entire kit for professional use.  You don't wan to be sidelined by a simple battery clip that prevents you from flying because it won't hold a battery.  
2018-12-3
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
United States

OverlookFilmStudios Posted at 12-3 10:12
Thanks for sharing this.  I just started having the exact same issue with the battery release not going all the way down.  Couldn't get mine to snap in place like yours, so I filed down the tip a little and it's working fine so far.  Sounds like a new battery compartment is on the list of parts to order.  Really wish that DJI would use higher quality materials when you're talking about spending $6-10K on an entire kit for professional use.  You don't wan to be sidelined by a simple battery clip that prevents you from flying because it won't hold a battery.

Some people on the inspirepilots forum in their help section have replaced the battery holder.  Part 17 which is around $100.  Just checked and it has around 2,900 views so it must be a common problem or soon will become one.  Mine felt odd at times and wouldn't go down all the way and felt notchy before the big failure happened.  Filing off the tip of the release idea worked for a while, and then the button stayed down when it finally broke.

Near the end of the webpage, some closeup photos show the insides of the case and the part that snaps off and binds up the release button.  Looks like a lot of work too if you want to DIY.  If you have taken stuff like computers, phones, and RC stuff apart maybe not so much.  Don't want to snap heads off glued screws like some have.
2018-12-3
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3502972 ft
  • >>>
United States

My battery latch broke twice on the same bird, same side.  After the second time they replaced the entire aircraft within a week.  I have two Inspire 2 airframes for such emergencies.
2018-12-3
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
United States

eggbeater Posted at 12-3 15:04
My battery latch broke twice on the same bird, same side.  After the second time they replaced the entire aircraft within a week.  I have two Inspire 2 airframes for such emergencies.

Good to have backups.

Curious, did yours break on the left side both times?  Seems those in the link were all left side breaks where the center button stays down on top.  There looks to be three plastic posts in the photos that can fail (Two for the ejector springs, and one for the pushbutton release.) so maybe the plastic in the left side has some property issues if they all crack on that one side - although it could happen to both sides they way it looks.

Wonder if not allowing the batteries to snap out the back end on releasing, and maybe holding the release buttons down may stop the possibility of any shock breaking them off?

Looks like some spot that needs an improvement as failure seems imminent if under constant stress.  The thread over there is a year and a half old so not a rare event with the 2,930 views.

Late add:
I generally leave a pair of batteries installed on the bird.  Looking at the photos, that might cause the eject issue with mine where I think the ejector spring post is broken.  Don't know if that would affect the release button.  Might be best not to leave batteries in the bird at all unless when flying it as the springs under tension would be stressing the plastic posts and maybe breaking them off?

2018-12-3
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3502972 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 12-3 15:49
Good to have backups.

Curious, did yours break on the left side both times?  Seems those in the link were all left side breaks where the center button stays down on top.  There looks to be three plastic posts in the photos that can fail (Two for the ejector springs, and one for the pushbutton release.) so maybe the plastic in the left side has some property issues if they all crack on that one side - although it could happen to both sides they way it looks.

Yes, left side twice. i think grit may poise a threat to the internal latch mechanism.
2018-12-3
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
United States

eggbeater Posted at 12-3 20:54
Yes, left side twice. i think grit may poise a threat to the internal latch mechanism.

Ugh, bad luck!  Looks like a major failure piece in time.  

I think I'll not leave my batteries always on the bird since - from seeing the photos of the insides of the thing on the other Inspire pilots site - leaving them in the bird keeps tension on the two ejection springs and the plastic posts they attach too.  Might be why mine acted odd on ejecting the battery as the push-back square plastic piece flops around loosely, and later the triangular lock broke and the center button stayed down.  I could hear something rattling around in mine and probably the posts broke off.

I bought the part to fix it myself since shipping and insurance costs almost what the part does.  Not to mention the down time waiting.  Awaiting the tools though.

Since that Part 17 seems to be stocked by some DJI dealers (It comes with some screws in a gray bag with the cardboard top with DJI labeling like it hangs in the store shelves.), I hope they've improved on the design of the plastic parts that break.  Might have to stock one as a backup too.

2018-12-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules