GH5S CONECTIVITY PROBLEM WITH USB AND HDMI
3986 2 2018-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4325ee33
New

Israel

HI ALL
i have a big production caming up next week and i want to use the ronin s with the gh5s but i found that if i conect the ronin-s usb cabel to the camera and the HDMI cabel to the wirless video i can't see any pic on the camera screen......
is there any way to fix it?
please looking for answer ASAP
thx

ram

2018-8-25
Use props
Jesaul
lvl.3
Netherlands

Well, it's by panasonic design.
2018-8-27
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jesaul Posted at 2018-8-27 00:19
Well, it's by panasonic design.

Hey Fans.  This is not an issue with the Ronin.  There are two Panasonic issues that could be causing this, one is an easy fix of a menu setting.  The other is a longtime bug that has existed since at least the Gh4.  I also have the GH5s and I think this bug is exceptionally annoying.  I'll outline the issues below and the workaround for the bug.  

Problem 1:
Black screen on both camera and monitor.  The camera has some kind of "connecting to monitor" text.  Camera never connects to monitor and actually freezes.

My new GH5s would never show anything on an external monitor, and when it tried to connect, the camera would actually crash and I would have to reboot it.

Solution 1:  Go to the Wrench menu (I don't recall its name, but it is just a wrench icon) and choose "TV Connection"
In the TV Connection menu list, turn OFF "Viera Link".  
Problem solved.

FWIW: Viera Link is a way for the GH5 to communicate with Panasonics own Viera monitors.  This should be OFF by default, but on my camera it was ON.  With Viera Link ON, I got nothing but a black screen with text saying it was trying to connect, and my camera would lock up.  Turn Viera Link OFF and the camera mostly works as expected.

Problem 2:
External monitor stays black, camera monitor works normally.

Sometimes you might notice that your camera doesn't connect to the HDMI monitor.  If this happens, it means that you turned your camera on first, then turned on your monitor.  Although this should work without issue (like my Canon cameras and my Panasonic DVX 200), it doesn't work properly on the GH5s.

Solution 2: Reboot your camera.  
In general, after making the HDMI connection, just turn on your monitor first, then turn on your camera.  Problem solved (mostly).

I have a multi-camera production monitor which works perfectly with every camera I have tried (at least 5 different makes and models of cameras).  But it does not work properly with the GH5s.  Why you ask?  Because I can switch the monitor to view each connected camera full screen (to check focus, for example).  But if I switch away from the GH5s feed to the monitor to view Video 2, then switch back to the GH5s, the monitor stays black until I reboot the GH5s.  VERY annoying.

Additional notes:Make sure your camera outputs AUTO size, not a fixed size.  The camera might be outputting a video signal that the monitor can't read.  In AUTO, the camera will ask the monitor what size it likes and will automatically provide that size.
Anyway, I hope this helps.
Matt

2018-8-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules