Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 3 Gimbal
3016 19 2015-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
myhondas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12100 ft
United States

Brand new unit ....received today and it has a bad gimbal control unit .   At least I am protected by ebay on the purchase.  Got one flight and then on the next, camera pointed at landing gear.....then camera went crazy bouncing all over the place. I read that the gimbal was the weak link on this unit, but never thought I would get one of the bad ones. I have a link to a video of the damn thing. Just click on the word below.

gimbal
2015-5-27
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Have you tried doing an IMU calibration?  Are you getting any error messages in the DJI Pilot app?
2015-5-28
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

My,

I can't tell for sure from the video but is the little white foam piece still on the back of the camera? Looks like it may be take a look.

Jerry
2015-5-28
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

JtrJr-Droner Posted at 2015-5-28 23:58
My,

I can't tell for sure from the video but is the little white foam piece still on the back of th ...

Never mind, another look says it's not there. Was just a thought.

Jerry
2015-5-28
Use props
myhondas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12100 ft
United States

gil Posted at 2015-5-28 23:52
Have you tried doing an IMU calibration?  Are you getting any error messages in the DJI Pilot app?

Yes, I did the full IMU check.  It went from bad ( camera stable but pointed at a landing gear leg) to worse (video)  I got one flight out of it with all OK. Recharged the batt and when I fired it up I got the camera pointed sideways. Shut everything down and rebooted. Went through everything I could think of and find to fix it...NADA
2015-5-28
Use props
dillardsj
lvl.2
Flight distance : 191056 ft
United States

myhondas Posted at 2015-5-29 00:16
Yes, I did the full IMU check.  It went from bad ( camera stable but pointed at a landing gear leg ...

Hey I got an idea, Why don't they offer the Phantom 3 without the camera a gimbal and we can use the H43d they just sold us with the Gopro??
2015-5-28
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

At least you had had a first flight, I may not get that without problems.
I just received my P3P minutes ago. Immediately I noticed the shipping box was battered and crushed. When removing the interior DJI box it appeared to be undamaged, but when I lifted the Phantom from the package I noticed that the gimbal lock was not even installed, it was laying at the bottom!!!! Just my luck…..now I fear I will be one those customers with a plagued drone. I hope not!! I am about to charge battery and RC, update firmware, calibrate gimbal and IMU……and hope for the best.
2015-6-8
Use props
Deerstalker
lvl.2

United Kingdom

greenbean Posted at 2015-6-9 03:05
At least you had had a first flight, I may not get that without problems.
I just received my P3P min ...

I'm sure most have had gimbal lock of when delivered, but everything been okay
2015-6-8
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
United States

Deerstalker Posted at 2015-6-9 03:37

What purpose would it serve for me to lie about the gimbal lock was not installed and lying at the bottom of the box??  I'm not a lier, cheat or a thief.
2015-6-8
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
United States

greenbean Posted at 2015-6-9 04:46
What purpose would it serve for me to lie about the gimbal lock was not installed and lying at the ...

lying=laying   lier=liar
2015-6-8
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

greenbean Posted at 2015-6-9 04:46
What purpose would it serve for me to lie about the gimbal lock was not installed and lying at the ...

I seriously doubt he was calling you a liar. Many Phantom owners have reported that when they opened the box, the plastic gimbal guard was no longer attached. That was exactly the case with mine. That small white foam piece was in place - I guess that helped, because mine turned out okay.

That poster was just trying to tell you that what you've experienced is somewhat the norm. In fact, when I replace my gimbal guard after flying, it's very difficult to get it to "lock in" where it's supposed to. It gives the appearance it could use a better support than what has been built for it.

Good luck with your Phantom. Everything may be just fine.
2015-6-8
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I am sorry you got a defective gimbal.  You should return the quad and get another one.

Love my Phantom 3.  It's awesome.
2015-6-8
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
United States

Nope it's not okay, it"s DOA……just started a thread in "warning"     lol
And yes it did have a gimbal lock, but it just was sitting on the bottom of the box
2015-6-8
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-9 06:36
I seriously doubt he was calling you a liar. Many Phantom owners have reported that when they open ...

Nope   Dead On Arrival
2015-6-8
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
United States

It's politically incorrect to chastise a retard……with that said, without explaining, it was me, my bird's a go
2015-6-8
Use props
sam.yoursitetea
lvl.1
Flight distance : 71463 ft
United States

Did you ever get any resolution to this?  Mine started doing the same thing. I'm contemplating taking it apart and trying to repair it myself

I've owned it for 2 month. Flew it for 8 days and had to send it back to get a new prop motor.. that took 5 weeks.

I've had it back 1 week and now this gimbal motor issue.  2 weeks of use and potentially 2-3 months in the shop.. not a good track record.
2015-10-26
Use props
ceaton76
lvl.2

United States

sam.yoursitetea Posted at 2015-10-26 11:16
Did you ever get any resolution to this?  Mine started doing the same thing. I'm contemplating takin ...

Be smart and patient. Send it back in and request a new bird. It will void your warranty trying to fix it your self. That's just my option.
2015-10-26
Use props
debiby
lvl.1

United States

I just got mine yesterday and after flying it I noticed the gimbal was pretty warm almost hot to touch, is this normal?
2015-10-26
Use props
IMI193
lvl.3

United States

Deerstalker Posted at 2015-6-8 15:37

My gimbal guard was half off and I never found the small white foam piece anywhere, Phantom appears to work perfectly anyway.
2015-10-27
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Sorry,  this is  gimbal's problem, I suggest you to send it back...
2015-10-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules