Mavic 2 Pro image quality....is it soft??
9189 55 2018-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. The size of sensor that a camera has ultimately determines how much light it uses to create an image. In very simple terms, image sensors consist of millions of light-sensitive spots called photosites which are used to record information about what is seen through the lens. Therefore, it stands to reason that a bigger sensor can gain more information than a smaller one and produce better images. As per checking on each specs of Mavic Pro, Phantom 4 pro and Mavic 2 Pro, it is only Mavic Pro that has a different sensor and pixels. In terms of softness or sharpness, you might want to check this: https://www.djivideos.com/watch/ ... 6787de8ef.jpg@!1200

2018-8-30
Use props
oberschneider.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4730358 ft
  • >>>
Austria

following.
2018-8-30
Use props
Black Diesel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66503 ft
United States

ErikSwan Posted at 2018-8-29 23:04
This is the best I've seen for an objective sharpness test. Unfortunately, it is not compared to the Mavic 1 Pro, but he claims that the Mavic 2 Pro is worse than the P4P and the Mavic 2 Zoom, even at the cropped, 1:1 pixel setting ("HQ mode").
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... rone-this-is.46384/

This is not good, and it makes sense....let's hope someone proves this guy wrong and the M2P video is actually sharper than the other drones for video.
2018-8-30
Use props
ErikSwan
lvl.1
United States

Black Diesel Posted at 2018-8-30 10:49
This is not good, and it makes sense....let's hope someone proves this guy wrong and the M2P video is actually sharper than the other drones for video.

Correction... the Mavic 2 Pro is worse than the others in the "4K full FOV" mode but in the "4K HQ" mode it is actually comparable to the Mavic 2 Zoom, not worse than the Zoom. The Phantom 4 Pro still beats both, though.
2018-8-30
Use props
fans68308231
lvl.2
Flight distance : 200177 ft

Starting to regret ordering the pro.

Yet to see any photos or footage where it is a better image than zoom. Perhaps low light shots are an exception.
2018-8-30
Use props
Black Diesel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66503 ft
United States

fans68308231 Posted at 2018-8-30 19:43
Starting to regret ordering the pro.

Yet to see any photos or footage where it is a better image than zoom. Perhaps low light shots are an exception.

It's looking like the M2P is better for still photos and low light...but for everything else the Mavic zoom seems to be better for video.
2018-8-31
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

CineView Media Posted at 2018-8-28 22:20
Found out that Safari no longer support 4k in YT, welcome to the future

Yup, super annoying, isn't it?
2018-8-31
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

imwhitey Posted at 2018-8-29 06:15
Yeah been wondering what happened to 4K in my Safari! Gahhh Apple dropping the ball

It's not Apple dropping the ball but YouTube forcing 4K content to use VP9 going forward, which apparently can't be natively decoded in the hardware Apple uses, which means lower performance than Apple is willing to accept. Same deal with Firefox.

The good news is that all concerned are looking at the next generation codec AV1, but till then, if you want the highest YouTube video resolution on a Mac you'll have to use Chrome.
2018-8-31
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I thought that the picture of Mavic 2 Pro looked softer than the Mavic 2 Zoom, but it shouldn't really be the case. I'll watch some more footage on YouTube, but in the few images so far it looks like the Zoom is a bit sharper.
2018-8-31
Use props
Jmcintosh97
lvl.1
Flight distance : 162589 ft
United States

Check out Cliff Totten on YouTube and his test on this! This is a bit legnthy  but the comparison test and his theory  on the new Mavic 2 pro sensor  will blow your mind!  I hope DJi responds to this!
2018-9-23
Use props
Capture Asia
lvl.1
Flight distance : 294685 ft
Singapore

Is it only me, but am only capturing photos in RAW on the M2pro. Load it up in Lightroom and was disappointed to see the images are soft. Try various aperture and is still the same, need to sharpen up to 99 in LR.
2018-10-4
Use props
fans0b05dd6d
lvl.2
United States

Kingram Posted at 2018-8-26 10:08
Then watch in on a 4K TV and let it up scaled it .

Does not say if it's the Pro or the Zoom. Just  says Mavic 2. The Zoom is not soft so I'm guessing it's not the Pro.
2018-10-8
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 617405 ft
United States

CineView Media Posted at 2018-8-26 10:06
No point in watching a 1080 video on a 4k monitor.

His vid on YouTube is up to 4K.
If you cannot see the 4K option, may be you were using Safari Browser, which will not see the  4K option because YouTube blocks it.
2018-10-17
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

DJ_Fan Posted at 2018-10-17 10:05
His vid on YouTube is up to 4K.
If you cannot see the 4K option, may be you were using Safari Browser, which will not see the  4K option because YouTube blocks it.

Yup only get 4K playback using the Chrome browser on a Mac for the time being.
2018-10-17
Use props
blakekimmel
lvl.1
United States

I read somewhere that someone did a factory reset of their Mavic 2 Pro and said they saw improved video quality... anyone else try this??

The problem I have and what makes this 1" sensor conversation irrelevant is that the Phantom 4 Pro looks REALLY good to me for 4K video matching with the ground camera Sony 4K Raw/ProRes systems I use. So when DJI drops a much newer drone (at least 1 year newer) and brags about a new 1" sensor.... but then the detail and sharpness come in sub par and the image is muddy, it is really disappointing. Don't slap a Hassleblad name on it and make a big deal about this when your CURRENT customers are used to a certain standard provided by another prosumer drone at a similar price point.

Mavic 2 Pro at +1 sharpness looks VERY average while at 0 setting allows for some okay post production sharpening but varies by scene greatly in my opinion. In general the detail being resolved by this drone is just missing the mark.

I am also curious, does anyone think the Mavic Air at 100Mbps for video is BETTER than the Mavic 2??

I have seen some side by sides in the past with P4P and seem to remember it holding up pretty good regarding detail. I would take less color flexibility while maintaining image detail any day when choosing a drone to supplement main camera ground footage.

Would love to hear your latest thoughts and any insight on how to improve Mavic 2 Pro image! All in all, fairly let down that this image can't rival the P4P.

2018-10-24
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing.
2018-10-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now