The state of Inspire 2 performance? (August 2018)
587 12 2018-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

Recently I'm shoping for Inspire 2 airframe, dealing with some reputable authorized DJI resellers in North America. Naturally all of them will supply me with warm welcome and a quote. However, once I clearly express my specific expectations to perform field test for flight and hovering stability before shipment, their's enthusiasm seemingly cools down. It seems like the Inspire 2 platform is in FW troubles for now and - to put it simply - they can't guarantee flawless performance of the bird until DJI fix the issues.
Please correct me if my assumptions are wrong.

2018-8-26
Use props
epicjib
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3016060 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Are you located in Canada? What dealers have you been looking at? It also seems to be very little supply of the i2 package I am looking for.
2018-8-26
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>

epicjib Posted at 2018-8-26 17:47
Are you located in Canada? What dealers have you been looking at? It also seems to be very little supply of the i2 package I am looking for.

It doesn't really matter who am I dealing with, I'm talking in general. My suspicions are based on several threads posted here recently, reporting unstable flight characteristics and other issues after latest FW update. Introduced bugs were confirmed by DJI and they're working on fix. I'm going to hold my order until this happen.
2018-8-26
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-8-26 18:07
It doesn't really mater who am I dealing with, I'm talking in general. My suspicions are based on several threads posted here recently, reporting unstable flight characteristics and other issues after latest FW update. Introduced bugs were confirmed by DJI and they're working on fix. I'm going to hold my order until this happen.

Holding on your order will not remedy anything. The updates will correct the issues. The drones are preloaded with original firmware. If you are waiting to see if the issues are resolved, rest assured that they will be. The Inspire 2 is a real joy to fly and photography.
2018-8-27
Use props
vpierre
lvl.2

Suriname

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-8-26 18:07
It doesn't really mater who am I dealing with, I'm talking in general. My suspicions are based on several threads posted here recently, reporting unstable flight characteristics and other issues after latest FW update. Introduced bugs were confirmed by DJI and they're working on fix. I'm going to hold my order until this happen.

the last actualisation is horrible,i really don't know how is possible to realease a firmware like this,
2018-8-27
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-8-27 03:44
Holding on your order will not remedy anything. The updates will correct the issues. The drones are preloaded with original firmware. If you are waiting to see if the issues are resolved, rest assured that they will be. The Inspire 2 is a real joy to fly and photography.

True, I just want to wait for a while until Mavic 2 freenzy is over ...
2018-8-27
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-8-27 09:20
True, I just want to wait for a while until Mavic 2 freenzy is over ...

You will not be disappointed
2018-8-27
Use props
TheMightyThor
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2224665 ft
  • >>>
United States

There has been a MAJOR reduction in stabilization performance since the Inspire 2 has been released. When I first received mine, it was incredible. Now? It won't hold a position to save its. I own two Inspire 2's, both with the X7, and I am always completely in awe of how unstable they both are. Don't even think about trying to do a lock off shot. with all the satellites you could ever want, and no input from the sticks, in GPS mode, you're going to deviate between 1-3 feet in any given direction, for no reason whatsoever. The GPS is absolutely horrific.

Now, all that say, once you actually start flying, it works great. Super smooth, beautiful video, great handling and speed. But don't hope for any slow or precise movements as you will be severely disappointed.

I've really got my fingers crossed DJI is able to work out the complete disaster they called a firmware update. I wouldn't buy one until they fix it, and we start seeing an actual improvement.
2018-8-27
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>

TheMightyThor Posted at 2018-8-27 19:17
There has been a MAJOR reduction in stabilization performance since the Inspire 2 has been released. When I first received mine, it was incredible. Now? It won't hold a position to save its. I own two Inspire 2's, both with the X7, and I am always completely in awe of how unstable they both are. Don't even think about trying to do a lock off shot. with all the satellites you could ever want, and no input from the sticks, in GPS mode, you're going to deviate between 1-3 feet in any given direction, for no reason whatsoever. The GPS is absolutely horrific.

Now, all that say, once you actually start flying, it works great. Super smooth, beautiful video, great handling and speed. But don't hope for any slow or precise movements as you will be severely disappointed.

After over 4 years of dealing with DJI products one thing I've learned for sure:

Every IDENTICAL combination of particular UAV model + RC + device + FW/SW version will behave differently, more or less.
2018-8-27
Use props
ToscanaDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13833304 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-8-27 19:32
After over 4 years of dealing with DJI products one thing I've learned for sure:

Every IDENTICAL combination of particular UAV model + RC + device + FW/SW version will behave differently, more or less.

I assume that DJI uses various suppliers for its electronic components and suppliers use different components for the same purpose. For this reason every time there is a firmware update, there are so different results in each aircraft.
2018-8-28
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>

ToscanaDrone Posted at 2018-8-28 01:37
I assume that DJI uses various suppliers for its electronic components and suppliers use different components for the same purpose. For this reason every time there is a firmware update, there are so different results in each aircraft.

This, and many other factors (production bath, quality control, factory tuning, final testing etc.) may result with different aircraft behaviour. The complexity of FW code and continuously expanding features of controlling software doesn't help as well. Take global communication with servers into account and you'll end up with enormously complicated systems of - basically - consumer grade, where elevated quality standards can't be applied. After all, DJI products are very affordable, considering what they're able to deliver. But, it's "like a box of chocolates: you never know what you gonna get."...
2018-8-28
Use props
Blackwood
lvl.4

I'm on my 2nd Inspire 2.  Sent the first one back because it kept losing connection to the remote even if it was only a few feet away.  The last time I used it, it took me over an hour just to get it 4 feet in the air to take a picture of it hovering.  Packed it up and shipped it back as soon as I got to the office.  B&H Video took it back and sent us a new one that has worked great for the most part.  Over the last year and a half, the flight characteristics have varied from firmware to firmware and it has gotten a lot slower. My top speed was recorded at 82 mph before the dreaded firmware neutering of the aircraft speed.  Now the best I've seen is 56 mph.  My biggest issues have been loss of video transmission and CPU overload on my iPads after DJI bloated the DJI Go 4 app with unnecessary features and too many drones.  As others have said, while moving, it's a dream to operate.  Beautiful, complex shots even if you are controlling both the aircraft and camera by yourself.  Sitting still depends a lot on your altitude.  under 12 feet, it's gonna walk all over the place.  After that it gets much better as the ground effect subsides.  On my last flight, I was about 30 feet up and backed up to within a foot of a tree behind the Inspire while  trying to get a wide enough shot of the $1.1 million house I was shooting.  It handled that tight position as smoothly as can be.  So there are pluses and minuses for the Inspire 2, but I wouldn't trade it.  I just wish DJI would stop screwing up the firmware.  By the way, after seeing all the problems others were having with the new firmware, I keep the older version.  So I'm not having any of the latest issues.
2018-8-28
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>

Blackwood Posted at 2018-8-28 11:04
I'm on my 2nd Inspire 2.  Sent the first one back because it kept losing connection to the remote even if it was only a few feet away.  The last time I used it, it took me over an hour just to get it 4 feet in the air to take a picture of it hovering.  Packed it up and shipped it back as soon as I got to the office.  B&H Video took it back and sent us a new one that has worked great for the most part.  Over the last year and a half, the flight characteristics have varied from firmware to firmware and it has gotten a lot slower. My top speed was recorded at 82 mph before the dreaded firmware neutering of the aircraft speed.  Now the best I've seen is 56 mph.  My biggest issues have been loss of video transmission and CPU overload on my iPads after DJI bloated the DJI Go 4 app with unnecessary features and too many drones.  As others have said, while moving, it's a dream to operate.  Beautiful, complex shots even if you are controlling both the aircraft and camera by yourself.  Sitting still depends a lot on your altitude.  under 12 feet, it's gonna walk all over the place.  After that it gets much better as the ground effect subsides.  On my last flight, I was about 30 feet up and backed up to within a foot of a tree behind the Inspire while  trying to get a wide enough shot of the $1.1 million house I was shooting.  It handled that tight position as smoothly as can be.  So there are pluses and minuses for the Inspire 2, but I wouldn't trade it.  I just wish DJI would stop screwing up the firmware.  By the way, after seeing all the problems others were having with the new firmware, I keep the older version.  So I'm not having any of the latest issues.

Blackwood, thank you for your input. I have no doubts that this is amazing piece of technology, just recently crippled by bad FW. Inspire 2 specifically tailored Go 4 app and finally de-bugged/optimized FW is a dream of everyone involved.
2018-8-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules