GH5 - Ronin S motors loosing control after recording finishes
1641 11 2018-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Librebowski
lvl.3
United States

Hello guys, I am having a problem with my Ronin S after the recording ends the motors seem to freeze up for about 5 seconds or so. The problem is when the motors come back alive they go in all crazy directions and I even had the camera spin outta control twice! I'm super new to gimbles so please bare with me and any help is appriciated.

To reproduce the loss on control of the motors please preform the following:

#1 plug in supplied USB type C cable to GH5 or GH5s.

#2 switch camera into 4k 60p (not 4k60 in VFR mode)

#3 Hit record and use the Ronin S as normal, when you hit the record button again to stop the recording you will notice something very unsettling that is not evident in other camera modes on the GH5 and GH5s.

*Might take a few trys to show behavior

(I tried them all, all other camera modes work fine with the Ronin and supplied USB type C cable)

if your Ronin is anything like the mine and the other posters in my thread you will notice the issue right away.

*After the recording ends the Ronin will lose orientation for about 10 seconds.

*When the Ronin regains orientation its very violent and could cause damage to your camera and lens.

2018-8-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Librebowski, sorry to hear that, may I have the camera model and which cable you are using to connect the Ronin-S? Was the gimbal balanced properly? Did you try the Auto Tune, system calibration for a brief troubleshooting?
2018-8-26
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-8-26 22:57
Hi Librebowski, sorry to hear that, may I have the camera model and which cable you are using to connect the Ronin-S? Was the gimbal balanced properly? Did you try the Auto Tune, system calibration for a brief troubleshooting?

Camera model is the DC-GH5, cable is the USB type C cable which came included with the Ronin S, the balance test I am running are giving me the following results: Yaw -good / pitch - excellent / roll - excellent . I am running the system calibration and I auto tune the motors just after balancing. I can shoot a video of the behavior if it helps, any help is appreciated.
2018-8-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Librebowski Posted at 2018-8-27 01:58
Camera model is the DC-GH5, cable is the USB type C cable which came included with the Ronin S, the balance test I am running are giving me the following results: Yaw -good / pitch - excellent / roll - excellent . I am running the system calibration and I auto tune the motors just after balancing. I can shoot a video of the behavior if it helps, any help is appreciated.

Yes, we would be much appreciated if you could share us a short video.
2018-8-27
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-8-27 02:07
Yes, we would be much appreciated if you could share us a short video.

Mindy, after numerous additional attempts to replicate the problem I am no longer experiencing the issue! I am guessing it was the calibration that did the trick. I ran the system calibration last night but I guess I gave up too soon. In the morning I checked again and no such problem existed as far as I could tell.

So auto-tune and the system calibration needs to be done each re-balance? or is it just the auto-tune usually? I'm totally fine with that, just trying to figure this thing out.  - Thanks for the fast responses also Mindy!
2018-8-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Librebowski Posted at 2018-8-27 02:45
Mindy, after numerous additional attempts to replicate the problem I am no longer experiencing the issue! I am guessing it was the calibration that did the trick. I ran the system calibration last night but I guess I gave up too soon. In the morning I checked again and no such problem existed as far as I could tell.

So auto-tune and the system calibration needs to be done each re-balance? or is it just the auto-tune usually? I'm totally fine with that, just trying to figure this thing out.  - Thanks for the fast responses also Mindy!

Hi Librebowski, glad to know the issue didn't happen again, you don't have to do the Auto Tune and the system calibration every time, please make the Auto Tune when you change the lens or the camera, make the system calibration when there is a drifting issue, you can always contact us if there is any other issue.
2018-8-27
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.3
United States

[Solved] RE: Ronin S problem with motors freezing after recording ends.

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-8-27 03:02
Hi Librebowski, glad to know the issue didn't happen again, you don't have to do the Auto Tune and the system calibration every time, please make the Auto Tune when you change the lens or the camera, make  the system calibration when there is a drifting issue, you can always contact us if there is any other issue.

Awesome, thanks again Mindy!
2018-8-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Librebowski Posted at 2018-8-27 03:17
Awesome, thanks again Mindy!

You are welcome, have a great time with Ronin-S.
2018-8-28
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-8-28 03:37
You are welcome, have a great time with Ronin-S.

Problem is back again
If you have a GH5 and a Ronin S set your camera to film in 4k 60p or 4k 50p and you will see what I am talking about as soon as video recording ends the gimbal freaks out.

Can't find a solution, after trying all these tips again I am at a loss.
2018-9-6
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Happened to me today on a shoot with clients. Gimbal out of control, slammed my camera HARD and bent the USB-C connector.  Multiple issues (as I have commented in other threads).  Super frustrated.
2018-9-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Librebowski Posted at 2018-9-6 13:20
Problem is back again  
If you have a GH5 and a Ronin S set your camera to film in 4k 60p or 4k 50p and you will see what I am talking about as soon as video recording ends the gimbal freaks out.

Let's update in your new thread: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid1557811 we will keep following up, thank you.
2018-9-8
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lib, Can you add GH5 to the title of your post?  It might make it a little easier for someone to search for all posts related to GH5.  Did you notice that we have a fourth person start a thread with the same issue?
2018-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules