Ronin-S Drifting
23222 30 2018-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4369fe3b
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I've recently noticed my ronin-s drifting after double-tapping the trigger.  For example, if it's standing on a table and I double-tap the trigger to realign, it aligns put then slowly pans about 2-3 degrees to the left.  I've updated the firmware and attempted a joystick calibration.  Thoughts?
2018-8-26
Use props
fans4369fe3b
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

To further add to this...I just figured that if I hold down the trigger, it begins to pan very slowly to the left.
2018-8-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, sorry to read on this, just to verify, when you press twice the Trigger to re-center the gimbal, it will keep drifting or it recognizes the center point 2-3 degrees to the left, did you try the system calibration? Any chance to show us a short video? Thank you in advance.
2018-8-27
Use props
fans4369fe3b
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-8-27 02:49
Hi there, sorry to read on this, just to verify, when you press twice the Trigger to re-center the gimbal, it will keep drifting or it recognizes the center point 2-3 degrees to the left, did you try the system calibration? Any chance to show us a short video? Thank you in advance.

Thanks for following up.  Yes, when the trigger is double-tapped, it re-centers then drifts a couple degrees.  Further, if I hold down the trigger it drifts (pans).  Here's a link to a video describing it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3pn146xupwy9qs/IMG_4239.MOV?dl=0
2018-8-27
Use props
Brian Hawkins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2745971 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have this same problem.  Holding down the trigger I experience panning to the left.  Also, setting a user mode with smooth track turned off the gimbal drifts to the left (although not as fast or as far).  I've tried meticulously balancing the gimbal (test shows "excellent" balance).  I do auto tune every time and have even tried calibrating the system and calibrating joystick.  This is making it impossible to do hyperlapses.  
2018-8-27
Use props
fans4369fe3b
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-8-27 02:49
Hi there, sorry to read on this, just to verify, when you press twice the Trigger to re-center the gimbal, it will keep drifting or it recognizes the center point 2-3 degrees to the left, did you try the system calibration? Any chance to show us a short video? Thank you in advance.

Mindy, any thoughts on this one?
2018-8-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans4369fe3b Posted at 2018-8-28 03:44
Mindy, any thoughts on this one?

The issue has been forwarded to our engineers for further analysis, I will come back to you once I hear from them, please wait patiently, thank you.
2018-8-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Brian Hawkins Posted at 2018-8-27 20:02
I have this same problem.  Holding down the trigger I experience panning to the left.  Also, setting a user mode with smooth track turned off the gimbal drifts to the left (although not as fast or as far).  I've tried meticulously balancing the gimbal (test shows "excellent" balance).  I do auto tune every time and have even tried calibrating the system and calibrating joystick.  This is making it impossible to do hyperlapses.

Hi Brian, sorry to know you have the same issue, the issue has been forwarded to our engineers for further analysis, I will come back to you once I hear from them, please wait patiently, thank you.
2018-8-28
Use props
fans4369fe3b
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-8-28 05:25
Hi Brian, sorry to know you have the same issue, the issue has been forwarded to our engineers for further analysis, I will come back to you once I hear from them, please wait patiently, thank you.

Curious to see if there's been any updates from your engineers?
2018-9-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hi all, sorry to have kept you waiting, the Ronin app V1.1.4 adds a joint angle calibration feature. Please see the operation process below to see if it helps.
1. First press the button twice to re-center the gimbal. Then check the joint angle parameters under app’s “Motor Parameter”. If any joint angle value is above 1, or the axis arm drifts after the gimbal is re-centered, then joint angle calibration is needed. Please see the picture below: the pan axis’s joint angle value is bigger than 1, therefore adjusting the pan axis’s joint angle parameter is needed. ID18896-1.png
2. Push and pull the joystick several times to change the axis’s position if its joint angle value is above one or it has drifted. Observe the joint angle data changing in the app and stop operating the joystick after the value is less than one or the drifted axis’s arm is in the centered position.
ID18896-2.png
3. Press and hold the joint angle in the app for about 6 seconds to start the joint angle calibration. Then click “OK”.
ID18896-3.png ID18896-4.png
2018-9-8
Use props
fans4369fe3b
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Thank you! Looks like we’re good now.
2018-9-8
Use props
djiuser_84eG1fL5FKfW
New

Hey, I'm having exactly the same problem, however, my "Joint Angle" isnt about 1, it's 0 to -5. I did try going through these steps but nothing changed at all. Could you please help asap, I have a shoot very soon
2018-9-21
Use props
Esesilva
New
Mexico

i have the same problem, do you fix it ?
2018-10-9
Use props
djiuser_A0d3YyDONPix
lvl.1

United States

I’m having the same issue out of the box. Balanced, auto tuned and balance tested = excellent. The joint angle bandaid works but if you turn off the ronin s you have to go thru all the same process as above. Also, if you recenter the gimbal with a double tap after calibration it does it again. I own a osmo pro and never had an issue. You turn it on and start shooting. This is a hack fix and it’s not a solution
2018-12-21
Use props
Tomas Koolhaas
New

United States

I’m having the exact same issue. With the same results. The fix mindy suggested works temporarily but as soon as I turn off the gimbal or hit the recenter button it starts happening again.
2019-1-16
Use props
Domski
New
United Kingdom

Hi
I am having the same issue.
I have done the joint calibration twice now and as soon as I hit the recenter button it happens again drifting to the left on the pan to 6.6
HELP!
2019-2-4
Use props
fans8c09002d
New
Lithuania

Guys who can help me |:/
I was send my ronin s to repair service, they say the problem was fixed but its not...
After testing and diagnosing your product, DJI will provide you with the free repair service. The repair is expected to be finished in 2 to 3 working days, then the product will be sent back to you.
Item List
Grip Main Controller Board
Quantity: 1
Net Price : 25.62
Total Net: 25.62

But the problem is still there he comes up by self, i cant do nothing, even prevents centering as soon as I start jumping up... I
2019-2-6
Use props
Guillermo M
New
Canada

I am having the exact problem, no news? I have tried everything and spent a day trying to fix this issue but looks like no one can help us out...This is the last time I am buying from DJI.
2019-2-9
Use props
fans527d8b78
lvl.1
United States

Hi everyone. I was having the same issue with the Ronin S. I might have found a solution. Test it out on your own device and let me know if it works for you as well.
Steps
1. turn on and connect to the ronin from the app on your phone
2. Click on "Configuration"
3. Click "Settings"
4. At the top click on "More"
****Make sure you do NOT have any cables connected to the camera because they might be affected during this.
5. Click on "Balance Test"
6. Recenter the gimbal by clicking the trigger twice.
7. If it still drifts then click on "System Calibration"

This seems to work for me every time. Kind of a pain but better than a drifting gimbal.

Peace
2019-3-13
Use props
dji-hash
New
Canada

Hi

I'm having the same issue regarding panning. The top part of the Ronin-S moves independently from the grip portion when panning and thus I cannot pan correctly.

I manually balanced the Ronin-S and updated the firmware and my tests come back "Excellent" yet it still sways.

2019-4-29
Use props
CromoFX
lvl.1
Germany

@fans527d8b78 - Wow, many thanks for your workaround! Have my Ronin-S since a few days now and had the same problem. Tested your advice but skipped point 5 (Balance Test). After System Calibration everything worked like a charm, no sway. Best thing, even after shutting down and switching on the Ronin-S a few times the problem is gone!!!
2019-7-18
Use props
VFX_Tezz
lvl.1

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-8 00:59
Hi all, sorry to have kept you waiting, the Ronin app V1.1.4 adds a joint angle calibration feature. Please see the operation process below to see if it helps.
1. First press the button twice to re-center the gimbal. Then check the joint angle parameters under app’s “Motor Parameter”. If any joint angle value is above 1, or the axis arm drifts after the gimbal is re-centered, then joint angle calibration is needed. Please see the picture below: the pan axis’s joint angle value is bigger than 1, therefore adjusting the pan axis’s joint angle parameter is needed.[view_image]
2. Push and pull the joystick several times to change the axis’s position if its joint angle value is above one or it has drifted. Observe the joint angle data changing in the app and stop operating the joystick after the value is less than one or the drifted axis’s arm is in the centered position.

I  tried to do  the offset  calibration. After  it finished,  my Ronin   S  started violently  shaking.   I  turned it on   and off.  Now every  time I  turn it on it just  violently shakes.   I   tried  updating  and  downgrading it,   re-calibrating,  doing  balance  test,  nothing has fixed  it so  far.
2019-7-25
Use props
fansa4abd67c
New
Flight distance : 31056 ft
United States

Thanks guys for the awesome thread just bought my Ronin S August 2019 love it. Nikon p1000
image.jpg
2019-8-15
Use props
djiuser_DWOk92g3Fvx2
New

Argentina

1. First press the button twice to re-center the gimbal. Then check the joint angle parameters under app’s “Motor Parameter”. If any joint angle value is above 1, or the axis arm drifts after the gimbal is re-centered, then joint angle calibration is needed. Please see the picture below: the pan axis’s joint angle value is bigger than 1, therefore adjusting the pan axis’s joint angle parameter is needed.[view_image]
2. Push and pull the joystick several times to change the axis’s position if its joint angle value is above one or it has drifted. Observe the joint angle data changing in the app and stop operating the joystick after the value is less than one or the drifted axis’s arm is in the centered position.

Perhaps it'd be a good idea for DJI service people to discriminate between users facing the "gimbal not centering properly" from us users facing "gimbal randomly starts drifting", as these might or might not be caused by the same errors
My Ronin S with the latest firmware to date (March 2020):
0. Has a payload of little over 2.7kg (a BMCC plus some unfortunately heavy lens, plus the focus motor).
1. Drifts intermittently, I can't reproduce how or when it starts, but once it does, it will drift on the tilt axis upwards when the joystick is configured on the normal position, and downwards when I have the tilt on reverse (which I usually do) It just does so randomly.
2. I believe I caught a message before in the App (which never saw again) urging me to do a joystick calibration which I recently did, but the problem remains.
Caveat: I think the gimbal starts drifting a little when I use the joystick and then, after a while, it gets worse and worse.

Dear DJI guys: this is gear we rely upon to do our jobs. Please create a better structured response to this problem.  Is there a way we can upload console logs to DJI?
2020-3-9
Use props
mk124red
New

United Kingdom

I am having the same issue on a brand new Ronin S. The gimbal centers perfectly but then immediately drifts to the left about 12 on the joint angle parameter and stops. Holding the trigger makes is drift again another 12 to 24. It is a very specific issue and I can re-center using the stick and use the gimbal normally. The issue is only when double tapping the trigger to re-center, it centeres perfectly but then drifts 12 to the left and stops.
2020-3-25
Use props
Guiseppe
New
Flight distance : 2667 ft
Netherlands

same issue here. I returned it to the store for repair and DJI simply sends back a message saying there is no issue to be found. After hours of testing, I came to the conclusion it is channel 3 (horizontal axis) which is pushing random values constantly which is making it drift when you put a control on channel #3.

I hope some RONIN S guru knows what is going on here because this is unacceptable. First, my gimbal is gone for 5 weeks only to get sent back with the message 'test ok'. If they did a thorough search for the problem they would've found this.
2020-4-14
Use props
Guiseppe
New
Flight distance : 2667 ft
Netherlands

Guiseppe Posted at 4-14 00:32
same issue here. I returned it to the store for repair and DJI simply sends back a message saying there is no issue to be found. After hours of testing, I came to the conclusion it is channel 3 (horizontal axis) which is pushing random values constantly which is making it drift when you put a control on channel #3.

I hope some RONIN S guru knows what is going on here because this is unacceptable. First, my gimbal is gone for 5 weeks only to get sent back with the message 'test ok'. If they did a thorough search for the problem they would've found this.

I cannot seem to edit my post anymore but here is a video of how it looks like.

vimeo.com/407505952/163c1f3a12

You can clearly see channel 3 is pushing values when its not even connected to a joystick axis.
2020-4-14
Use props
juanpatinoaol.com
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_DWOk92g3Fvx2 Posted at 3-9 18:10
Perhaps it'd be a good idea for DJI service people to discriminate between users facing the "gimbal not centering properly" from us users facing "gimbal randomly starts drifting", as these might or might not be caused by the same errors
0. Has a payload of little over 2.7kg (a BMCC plus some unfortunately heavy lens, plus the focus motor).

Hoping you've found a solution over the last 7 weeks since your post?  My Ronin-S will often and intermittently drift immediately following a double-tap of the trigger.   I've tried absolutely everything suggested here for weeks.  I even upgraded to DJI's latest greatest firmware.   I cannot seem to resolve this.  I'm also starting to ponder if it was ever this unreliable when I'd fallen way behind (but more stable) on an early summer 2019 firmware rev.   

So discouraged.  

Any of you kind souls  -  please advise.    Feel free to contact me directly via JuanPatinoPhoto@gmail.com   

Sadly even started eyeballing the competition's latest greatest gimbals.
2020-5-12
Use props
juanpatinoaol.com
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_DWOk92g3Fvx2 Posted at 3-9 18:10

Hoping you've found a solution over the last 7 weeks since your post?  My Ronin-S will often and intermittently drift immediately following a double-tap of the trigger.   I've tried absolutely everything suggested here for weeks.  I even upgraded to DJI's latest greatest firmware.   I cannot seem to resolve this.  I'm also starting to ponder if it was ever this unreliable when I'd fallen way behind (but more stable) on an early summer 2019 firmware rev.   

So discouraged.  

Any of you kind souls  -  please advise.    Feel free to contact me directly via JuanPatinoPhoto@gmail.com   

Sadly even started eyeballing the competition's latest greatest gimbals.
2020-5-12
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3397539 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi, Mindy.  

I've tried the Joint Angle Calibration.  It doesn't seem to work.  I'm using the latest app and iOS.
2020-5-14
Use props
Daniel Zaragoza
New

United States

Im having the same issue and this forum thread is not searchable in their site. Got in from google. The way things are going I will not be buying DJI again.
2022-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules