Spark killed itself and tried to take my leg with it!
687 8 2018-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Doobry
lvl.2
Flight distance : 394800 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flying my spark in Malta over the weekend at St Peter's Pool, tried to hand launch it in ATTI mode (mistake #1)  but no sooner had it lifted off out of my hand, it flew backward on it's own and dropped 5 feet to the ground, it was fine.. Moved a little and got 12+ Sats and it was green.. Hand launch again, absolutely fine, got a gorgeous 6 minute video of my son and his friends jumping into the pool and some shots of around the area.. Battery shows less than 5 mins of flight time so i brought it back and landed it on my hand. All good.

Changed the battery, walked to the same place and waited for 12+ sats, hand launched but again, it had a mind of it's own and dropped to a foot off the ground but this time shot forward, I tried to get in front of it (Mistake #2;)) to get the Obstacle avoidance to stop it but it flew into my leg, then did a backflip into a puddle.. It all happened so fast it was only when my son come over to laugh at me that he saw the blood pouring out of my leg from 4 small cuts.. 3 days later, I still can't feel them though!

So, the moral of the story is. Don't say how excited you are about a Mavic 2 Zoom when starting up your Spark..

The battery is fine, but the spark is toast, it powers up but the gimbal starts to violently shake from side to side and you can't connect to the drone via the RC for more than a few seconds.. And typically, Care Refresh has expired! Ah well, I was going to buy the Zoom anyway and this is the first time in over a year that it's ever had a problem like this..  Just a shame there was so much rock and water around;(

2018-8-27
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 944308 ft
Australia

Sad to hear your Spark is toast..   Hope your leg is ok.     I think these Spark drones must lose their settings..  Today I flew mine in the back yard and it was hovering and going forward and side to side like it was windy (Was still day).   I did an IMU calibration and it then flew steady..     My next drone won't be a Wifi one.. Just too many issues.   Have to go with Ocusync, in the hope that is better..     Have you tried to reload software in your drone???  
2018-8-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Doobry, we're sorry to read your post. Please take care of your leg first. As for the drone, you may consider sending it in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support The designated team will take care once the package arrived. Also, please kindly provide us your case number once you got it, we'll keep an eye on the status as well.
2018-8-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Greg - TheHuski Posted at 2018-8-27 02:39
Sad to hear your Spark is toast..   Hope your leg is ok.     I think these Spark drones must lose their settings..  Today I flew mine in the back yard and it was hovering and going forward and side to side like it was windy (Was still day).   I did an IMU calibration and it then flew steady..     My next drone won't be a Wifi one.. Just too many issues.   Have to go with Ocusync, in the hope that is better..     Have you tried to reload software in your drone???

Hello Greg, is there any chance change to another open place with good GPS signal to verify?
2018-8-27
Use props
EJ How To
New

I think the main problem is that these drones have a slightly weaker GPS signals than others. Try to fly it in a wide open space.
2018-8-27
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
Second Officer
Australia

EJ How To Posted at 2018-8-27 07:08
I think the main problem is that these drones have a slightly weaker GPS signals than others. Try to fly it in a wide open space.

Hello Susan...   My drone is fine i re calibrated IMU and Compass and been ok since
2018-8-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Greg - TheHuski Posted at 2018-8-27 16:52
Hello Susan...   My drone is fine i re calibrated IMU and Compass and been ok since

Hi Greg, glad to know that, hope you have a great time on flying.
2018-8-27
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
Second Officer
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-8-27 20:31
Hi Greg, glad to know that, hope you have a great time on flying.

Thanks Mindy
2018-8-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

You are welcome, please let us know if you have further issue.
2018-8-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules