597 2 2018-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RichardRamshaw
New
Australia

Hi all

New to DJI forums so be nice

I don't think this particular topic has been covered with a resolution yet, but here are my findings and the solution that I came up with, I have seen a few posts from others that have had the issue so I hope it helps....

So the situation, I had been using OTG with the previous firmware without issue, even though I was using android, it wasn't officially supported, but it worked.

I upgraded to v 01.00.1000 and RC v 01.00.0600 all upgrades without issue and I thought excellent, it should be even better now it's official, how wrong could I be.
The drone suffered from regular disconnects, according to the phone it was still connected to the RC, but the aircraft was disconnected from the remote, the worst possible situation as I now had no control over the drone, first time this happened it was over the ocean and obviously caused a lot of panic!  BUT the drone wasn't disconnected from the remote, the little green light was still on and I could still fly the drone back.  Unfortunately I had lost sight of it in the sunset, but RTH saved the day.
This happened VERY regularly, often 2 times per battery flight and only AFTER the upgrade to v 01.00.1000

I learned that:
Unplugging and plugging in the OTG made no difference.
Rebooting the phone made no difference.
Rebooting the remote (scary concept when the drone is in mid air) restored functionality and I could have full control again (for a bit).

I thought that this may be the OTG, I bought a cheap eBay one rather than the official DJI one.
I cobbled together an OTG to USB-A and then the normal phone charging cable, horrible long cable but - This worked, about 5 full battery flights, no issues, this would have been impossible before.
I then took apart the cheap eBay OTG and noticed that it was not sheilded, this is allowable in the USB specs but only for low data rates, not for the high data rates in USB 2.0, got out the soldering iron and swapped out the unsheilded cable for a propperly sheilded one, now that cable works perfectly too.

So....

Buy a good OTG cable is the first lesson, not worth losing a $500 drone for a $10 saving.

Secondly I think DJI should look at it's USB stack implementation in the RC firmware.  It appears that the entire USB stack in the remote controller just crashes if it sees data errors since v 01.00.1000 / v01.00.0600.  Granted I should have been using a better cable, but the USB controller stack should be able to handle the odd data error without killing itself.  Odd data errors will just happen, even with a good sheilded cable, and that shouldn't cause the drone to disconnect.

Cheers, hope it helps someone

2018-8-27
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do welcome and appreciate your comments and suggestions to us. Rest assured that this will be taken note and we will forward this to our engineers. Have a safe flight always. Thank you.
2018-8-27
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

Will test this out
2018-8-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules