Gimbal Sticks in flight and calibration (SOLVED)
1345 14 2018-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NickRno77
lvl.2
Flight distance : 95502 ft
United Kingdom

Ok I’ve put this on the back burner, I feel I now have to try and resolve this problem after 2 years thinking about it.

P4 Gimbal Problem Locks Right.
I was just wondering if anyone knows what's wrong if anything with the Gimbal on my P4, This is what happened.
In DJI Go 4 App set a Point Of Interest over a tree.
Set a radius to Orbit tree.
Set Drone in motion at default speed.
Increased speed.
Got to about 180 Deg around tree.
The tree started to move off centre.
Right Landing leg then appeared in the shot.
Then started shaking and quivering.
Brought it home and landed.
The Gimbal was locked right.
Turned P4 off and on Gimbal recentred.
This actually happened early in the day doing another Orbit same scenario but Gimbal recentered.
I recalibrated the IMU
Recalibrated Gimbal. when I do this it locks right and quivers every time I calibrate
Here is the Video.

This is what happens when I do a Gimbal Calibration

2018-8-27
Use props
NickRno77
lvl.2
United Kingdom

2nd YouTube video didn’t work for some reason, here is working link of what happens when I calibrate.
2018-8-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're very sorry for the inconvenience that you have faced. Regarding with your concern I would suggest to give a try to refresh the firmware of your Aircraft using DJI Assistant 2 on your PC, then once you are done, please give a try to re-calibrate the Gimbal camera again.
2018-8-27
Use props
NickRno77
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-8-27 07:40
Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're very sorry for the inconvenience that you have faced. Regarding with your concern I would suggest to give a try to refresh the firmware of your Aircraft using DJI Assistant 2 on your PC, then once you are done, please give a try to re-calibrate the Gimbal camera again.

Thanks for your reply, I’m pretty sure I tried that 2 years ago but I will try again. I updated the FW a couple of days ago does that count?
2018-8-27
Use props
NickRno77
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-8-27 07:40
Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're very sorry for the inconvenience that you have faced. Regarding with your concern I would suggest to give a try to refresh the firmware of your Aircraft using DJI Assistant 2 on your PC, then once you are done, please give a try to re-calibrate the Gimbal camera again.

Ok ive done that has made no difference,
2018-8-27
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17736 ft

NickRno77 Posted at 2018-8-27 11:14

I have seen this before. It is possibly the Gimbal ESC.
2018-8-27
Use props
NickRno77
lvl.2
United Kingdom

ATJ Posted at 2018-8-27 14:44
I have seen this before. It is possibly the Gimbal ESC.

I've seen a video on youtube of a guys P4 with his Gimbal stuck left permanently, mine centres ok on boot and flies good most of the time, the first vid shows what happens after cal.

I was hoping not to have to change the Gimbal ESC,
2018-8-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

NickRno77 Posted at 2018-8-27 11:14

Sorry to hear that, If still unfortunately your only option would be sending it in to the facility for further checking of the issue.
2018-8-28
Use props
NickRno77
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-8-28 06:25
Sorry to hear that, If still unfortunately your only option would be sending it in to the facility for further checking of the issue.

Well I don’t mind doing that as long as DJI Service don’t charge me an arm and a leg for a new gimbal assembly which would cost more than the P4 is worth.
2018-8-28
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer

NickRno77 Posted at 2018-8-28 07:05
Well I don’t mind doing that as long as DJI Service don’t charge me an arm and a leg for a new gimbal assembly which would cost more than the P4 is worth.

You can buy a new Gimbal ESC for the P4 on eBay for about $50.00 and it's easy to change.
2018-8-28
Use props
NickRno77
lvl.2
United Kingdom

ATJ Posted at 2018-8-28 13:05
You can buy a new Gimbal ESC for the P4 on eBay for about $50.00 and it's easy to change.

I can get an ESC for £22 ($30)on eBay, trouble is apparently they are matched with the Yaw Motor ? I should get another yaw motor of a supposedly uncrashed gimbal tomorrow, touch wood that’ll fix it if not .......... ???.
2018-8-28
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer

NickRno77 Posted at 2018-8-28 13:13
I can get an ESC for £22 ($30)on eBay, trouble is apparently they are matched with the Yaw Motor ? I should get another yaw motor of a supposedly uncrashed gimbal tomorrow, touch wood that’ll fix it if not .......... ???.

I would definitely change the ESC before I changed the yaw motor. The yaw motor is quite an under taking, you have to remove the (Camera/Gimbal) assembly to replace the motor.
2018-8-28
Use props
NickRno77
lvl.2
United Kingdom

ATJ Posted at 2018-8-28 14:36
I would definitely change the ESC before I changed the yaw motor. The yaw motor is quite an under taking, you have to remove the (Camera/Gimbal) assembly to replace the motor.

I know I have done it twice now! I’ll have the second motor tomorrow so I’ll see how it go’s.
2018-8-28
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer

NickRno77 Posted at 2018-8-28 15:01
I know I have done it twice now! I’ll have the second motor tomorrow so I’ll see how it go’s.

Best of Luck
2018-8-28
Use props
NickRno77
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks for all the help,

FYI I have fixed Gimbal Problem by changing the Yaw Motor with a good working Motor, I had to use my outer housing as it seems DJI calibrate the Yaw to this. I bought a Yaw motor from an eBay trader 1st which was faulty, I then found a private seller selling a quarter complete gimbal and used the Yaw Motor from that.
I couldn't have fixed it without Ted's help and advise:-

Gimbal Calibration after fix....(sorry about the crumbs :-))
2018-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules