Howto playback and edit Mavic 2's 4k 10bit HEVC footage?
10451 10 2018-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
c_future
lvl.4
Austria

Hello
because my mavic 2 pro is already in shipping state I tried upfront to play around with its produced video files.

some direct output can be downloaded here for example: https://www.drohnenhandbuch.de/rohmaterial

my problem - I have a quite 'okay' / 'powerfull' Win 10 desktop at home. No problems with the h.264 4K files from the first Mavic pro.

But the h.265 10bit 4K movies from the mavic pro 2 - I can't playback (even with the latest VLC) and of course the so far used editing software Adobe Premiere elements 2018 has no clue what to do with it either ;-)

any tips? :-)
thanks!
2018-8-27
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Have you installed the HEVC codec from the windows store (There are 2, 1 paid, the other free.  They're EXACTLY the same file so get the device manufacturer free one!).

My Premiere CC 2018 prompted me to install a codec which is fetched and installed with no further input from me.

Ive managed to play back the (few) sample files that are online and edit/re-export them as a test.
2018-8-27
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-27 08:05
Have you installed the HEVC codec from the windows store (There are 2, 1 paid, the other free.  They're EXACTLY the same file so get the device manufacturer free one!).

My Premiere CC 2018 prompted me to install a codec which is fetched and installed with no further input from me.

Sorry for going slightly off topic: Do you know if Youtube meanwhile supports H.265? My editing software supports it since long but I could never use it.
2018-8-27
Use props
Mike9129
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4112812 ft
Ireland

h.265 isnt widely supported at the moment.

the quick fix is to record in h.264

if your very badly stuck you can get software to convert existing files from one to the other if there's footage you absolutely need to use.
2018-8-27
Use props
c_future
lvl.4
Austria

That's why I am asking here for confirmed workflows.

Will check later if premiere elements will take it after getting the HEVC extension .. but I fear not ;-)
2018-8-27
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. For the Mavic 2 Pro, Full FOV down samples from the 5.5k sensor to 4K resolution while HW crops in the center for finer image quality but less FOV. Full FOV view is 75° and HQ view is 55°. You can select between them according to your actual shooting demands. You can check the manual as well: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... r%20Manual_v1.0.pdf
2018-8-29
Use props
HyLenz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

I can playback h265 (HEVC) on 2 pc's, both running Windows 10, 8GB RAM, basic video cards. One laptop with i7 8th gen, and one desktop with i7 7th gen. My i5 desktop will not play HEVC smoothly. I use Sony Vegas 15 pro for editing. The software prompted to enable HEVC codec which it did without issue, but it can barley play the file in a preview window of any of these pc's, making editing h.265 pretty much impossible. So a couple questions...

Is the load more on the editor software, the CPU, or the GPU? I suspect the majority of my issue is with the GPU as that is the weakest common denominator among my pc's.

The videos shot in 4k h265 look fantastic. is there a quality sacrifice if I switch to h264?

What editors are you guys using for h265?

I am debating buying a new graphics card, or waiting for bonus time to get a new graphically enhanced workstation. I didn't really want to spend a couple-few $K to be able to edit in maximum quality what the M2P can produce. The wife says... "This is getting expensive..."

2018-9-4
Use props
c_future
lvl.4
Austria

just buy a used graphics card, like I did.. since coin mining went down, there is plenty on the market ;-)

editing software is still an open question - I don't want to spend a couple of 100$  (like vor VEGAS pro or adobe premiere pro.. . Lightworks still can't handle it)

the current version of adobe premiere elements can't handle hevc h.265
but VEGAS Movie Studio Platinum can do it for 69€

is there anything else on the market?
2018-9-4
Use props
c_future
lvl.4
Austria

actually yes -- here is a simple comparison chart:

https://uk.pcmag.com/software/16 ... ng-software-of-2018

2018-9-4
Use props
rarevfx_official
lvl.4
Flight distance : 387562 ft
Germany

Easierst way to work with hevc files is to work with proxies sind nearly every high powered maschine have issues with playback (also mine).
Don't know if its possible to exit with proxy files in Premiere Elements but it should be.

Info: Proxies are downscaled files that are in an uncompressed state and don't need much processing power to play back - these files represent the full res files in your editing suite, enable you have to a fluid workflow and when exporting the full res files will be used.
2018-10-9
Use props
Vincentwood
New

Germany

Another method is to use iDealshare VideoGo to convert HEVC, H.265 to a more compabile video format.
Here is the step by step guide https://www.idealshare.net/video-converter/hevc-encoder.html
2019-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules