DRONE FALLS FROM SKY INTO OCEAN
2804 26 2018-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Twins Media
New
United States

Hello Drone pilots,

My phantom 4 pro fell from the sky into the ocean today, about 2 hours ago. Not sure what caused the crash. I was not able to recover the drone due to the current and deep water. I just submitted my report and flight record to Dji. Hopefully they can replace my drone with the Dji care coverage. Has anyone experanced this situation?

Aaron Medina, CC, TEXAS.
2018-8-27
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Why don't you post your flight log here and let folks have a look:      http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
2018-8-27
Use props
Twins Media
New
United States

I sent the last flight log to Dji. I was last logged over the water. The drone is gone, it fell into a deep channel/port where ships pass through to export and import goods Hopefully they'll replace it... Thanks for the log viewer
2018-8-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Twins Media Posted at 2018-8-27 17:03
I sent the last flight log to Dji. I was last logged over the water. The drone is gone, it fell into a deep channel/port where ships pass through to export and import goods  Hopefully they'll replace it... Thanks for the log viewer

Sending the log to DJI is fine but they aren't very good at explaining anything or communicating back about it.
If you want to get information about what happened post #2 is good advice.
2018-8-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Please post the flight LOG as suggested!?

See what gives...

RedHotPoker
2018-8-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Aaron, we are so sorry for your loss, if the drone is still in the warranty period, our support team will apply the data analysis for you, and then the corresponding resolution will be provided according to the analysis result. Unfortunately, DJI Care Refresh will not cover the loss. Hope we can figure out the crash reason.
2018-8-27
Use props
Ray_Drone_Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 531640 ft
Singapore

sad story I hope you will get a good explanation regarding the crash. Keep us updated
2018-8-28
Use props
strongarm181
lvl.2
Flight distance : 229885 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-8-27 22:37
Hi Aaron, we are so sorry for your loss, if the drone is still in the warranty period, our support team will apply the data analysis for you, and then the corresponding resolution will be provided according to the analysis result. Unfortunately, DJI Care Refresh will not cover the loss. Hope we can figure out the crash reason.

Hi Mindy! Can you elaborate? Because there's nothing to be sent back...it's not covered?
Ahhhh 50% of my flying is over water! Anyone had floaties? haha..but seriously.
2018-8-29
Use props
DanbyUrgess
Second Officer
United States

There's a chance your homeowners policy may cover that, if you don't use it commercially. Good luck!
2018-8-29
Use props
Alex Batalov
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Please post your flight log so that the community can help you out.

Fly safe everyone.
Alex.
2018-8-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

strongarm181 Posted at 2018-8-29 08:16
Hi Mindy! Can you elaborate? Because there's nothing to be sent back...it's not covered?
Ahhhh 50% of my flying is over water! Anyone had floaties? haha..but seriously.

Hi there, if the data analysis turns out to be a product defect, we will provide the warranty service during the warranty period, may I know what happened to your drone?
2018-8-31
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-8-31 04:58
Hi there, if the data analysis turns out to be a product defect, we will provide the warranty service during the warranty period, may I know what happened to your drone?

I think the answer to that is  "SPLASH........blub blub"
Happy Birthday King Neptune!
2018-8-31
Use props
Reds2tall55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1159409 ft

With all the deep water swimming that I’m reading about I’ve made me up some water wings for my ac.( V2.0) And she’s going to wear them whether she likes it or not. Lol. I see someone has them for the spark and Mavic but nothing on phantoms. At least if my bird wants a drink I’ll have time to get to her before she goes down for the count. About 48 mins before she starts to list to one side. Hell maybe I can take my parachute out of my rocket and somehow attach it to my ac .. no wait .. that’s no help over water. Well poop I guess I’ll just stay away from water till I perfect my water wings.... Just a thought.... And I’m so so sorry for your loss .. I would be SOOOO upset... hope the best for you...
2018-8-31
Use props
RAONE
lvl.1

same here bro....my drone also crash on water
2018-8-31
Use props
RAONE
lvl.1

2018-8-31
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Reds2tall55 Posted at 2018-8-31 16:52
With all the deep water swimming that I’m reading about I’ve made me up some water wings for my ac.( V2.0) And she’s going to wear them whether she likes it or not. Lol. I see someone has them for the spark and Mavic but nothing on phantoms. At least if my bird wants a drink I’ll have time to get to her before she goes down for the count. About 48 mins before she starts to list to one side. Hell maybe I can take my parachute out of my rocket and somehow attach it to my ac .. no wait .. that’s no help over water. Well poop I guess I’ll just stay away from water till I perfect my water wings.... Just a thought.... And I’m so so sorry for your loss .. I would be SOOOO upset... hope the best for you...

Anything that will keep a Phantom afloat will impact on the flight characteristics of the Phantom. Those floats act like a sail in high winds. Most people regard them as a waste of time.
2018-8-31
Use props
steve1776
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22530 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-8-27 22:37

Is that because it was a crash in the water for no coverage?
I’m guessing.
2018-9-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

steve1776 Posted at 2018-9-1 07:01
Is that because it was a crash in the water for no coverage?
I’m guessing.

Hi Steve, do you mean the DJI Care Refresh coverage? It will cover the water damage, but it will not cover any loss or partial loss, if the drone can be retrieved and sent in, DJI Care Refresh will cover it. GTScreenshot_20180903_171836.png
2018-9-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Anokadrone Posted at 2018-8-31 05:35
I think the answer to that is  "SPLASH........blub blub"
Happy Birthday King Neptune!

Hi Anokadrone, I apologize if I understood anything incorrectly or my answer is not clear, welcome to point it out.
2018-9-3
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 58327 ft

Hi Mindy, I was being facetious but item 1 in your previous post is pretty clear.  Aircraft down at sea and sunk is considered "lost".  Maybe we have a misunderstanding of the terms being used in the exclusions clauses.  Please correct me if I am mistaken.  I am not trying to be difficult here....just looking for the truth.
2018-9-4
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I believe Mindy meant to type:

It will cover the water damage, but it will not cover any loss or partial loss.

If the drone can be retrieved and sent in, DJI Care Refresh will cover it.
2018-9-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thats what she wrote barring youve added a . after loss
2018-9-4
Use props
Twins Media
New
United States

Hello All, DJI has finally responded to my report. Since my brother stop recording right before the drone fell from the sky they do not have any data on the aircraft... Kind of upsetting. They gave us 30% off another phantom 4 pro. We received the drone today but from some reason it doesn't want to connect to the app... We did a firmware update but nothing.. a red light is on near the SD card reader. Anyone have a clue? Thanks - AM
2018-9-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It needs binding to the remote ........
2018-9-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Twins Media Posted at 2018-9-17 18:54
Hello All, DJI has finally responded to my report. Since my brother stop recording right before the drone fell from the sky they do not have any data on the aircraft... Kind of upsetting. They gave us 30% off another phantom 4 pro. We received the drone today but from some reason it doesn't want to connect to the app... We did a firmware update but nothing.. a red light is on near the SD card reader. Anyone have a clue? Thanks - AM

Since my brother stop recording right before the drone fell from the sky they do not have any data on the aircraft...
A video is not flight data and won't have any of the information that's necessary to investigate the incident.
But if it fell because of a power loss, there would be no video anyway.
Did the Phantom have power during the fall or did it fall because it lost power?
You would know if you had posted your data here.

To solve your controller issue, go to the manual and do a word search for LINK

2018-9-17
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

sorry for your lose dudes ..  
2018-9-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14312858 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fingers crossed that you're back in the air soon.
2018-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules