2988 25 2018-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fraggboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 81401 ft
United States

DJI,

When I was calibrating my compass on mt M2P, I noticed there was only 1 compass showing. Is this true, or a bug??  Did you guys have to lose redundancy for the added cameras?!
2018-8-27
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Wow only one, can anyone else confirm.
2018-8-27
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
United States

Here is a screenshot of the compass and IMU.  There are 2 Accelerometers as well as Gyroscopes.  Just 1 compass.
BC6AD6C9-50DE-495D-B417-62EAE787E30D.jpeg
7515EBD3-AA54-449D-BA69-FF7FC0414E45.jpeg
2018-8-27
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Fraggboy Posted at 2018-8-27 19:47
Here is a screenshot of the compass and IMU.  There are 2 Accelerometers as well as Guroscopes.  Just 1 compass.

Okay so it has only one compass, for me that would be a downside as I rely on the redundancy compass switch because I fly a lot in areas that have magnetic interference, looks like I would need to reconsider getting this for now.

WHY DJI WHY
2018-8-27
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

It’s probably like the MA, meaning it probably has a standard compass and a vision compass.
2018-8-27
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-8-27 20:41
Okay so it has only one compass, for me that would be a downside as I rely on the redundancy compass switch because I fly a lot in areas that have magnetic interference, looks like I would need to reconsider getting this for now.

WHY DJI WHY

Not sure that a second compass would do any good when it comes to flying in areas with magnetic interference.  If magnetic interference is strong enough to effect one compass, then it is most likely to effect other compass.  

Case where a second compass would help is when source of magnetic interference is strong enough to effect Compass #1 (flip - #2); but not strong enough to effect Compass #2 (flip - #1).  With Compass #1 and #2 being at near opposites positions in drone.

Might help in case of one of compasses going bad, one of compasses drifting out of calibration, or rarity of one of compasses not being calibrated properly.
2018-8-27
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-8-27 21:28
Not sure that a second compass would do any good when it comes to flying in areas with magnetic interference.  If magnetic interference is strong enough to effect one compass, then it is most likely to effect other compass.  

Case where a second compass would help is when source of magnetic interference is strong enough to effect Compass #1 (flip - #2); but not strong enough to effect Compass #2 (flip - #1).  With Compass #1 and #2 being at near opposites positions in drone.

Mostly fly at or around my house and from past experience when flying drones that had one compass I used to get issues where the drone was flying in different directions as opposed to stick inputs, since getting the Pro and flying at the same spot I have found due to the duel compass I have not yet experienced that similar issue so far.
2018-8-28
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Should two compass install in different surface (x, y, z) to measure the aircraft position better?
2018-8-28
Use props
UPTGrad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1447884 ft
  • >>>

Funny that it says "Compass 1"

Should say just "Compass", but I guess it's a programmer issue, since the MPP has 2
2018-8-28
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
United States

Could be a firmware bug by not showing "Compass2", or they have removed the second compass.  I am hoping that it's a bug.

DJI??
2018-8-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there, thank you for reaching out. Regarding to your question Mavic 2 is designed to have dual IMU and single compass. So nothing for you to be worried with it.
2018-8-28
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
United States

Thank you for clarifying that for us.
2018-8-28
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Fraggboy Posted at 2018-8-28 09:54
Could be a firmware bug by not showing "Compass2", or they have removed the second compass.  I am hoping that it's a bug.

DJI??
DJI Admin ''Regarding to your question Mavic 2 is designed to have dual IMU and single compass.''

There goes your hoping.
Mavic Pro 1 === 2 Compasses
Mavic Pro 2 === 1 Compass
Mavic Pro 3 === 0 Compass?
2018-8-28
Use props
dari_017
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6016004 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah I noticed too, this was a let down for me on such an expensive machine , especially when the original Mavic Pro had 2
2018-8-28
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Are we sure there's not a vision compass like on the MA?  I believe the MA was the first application of such, and it doesn't show up in the app either.
2018-8-28
Use props
Alex Batalov
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Yes, but is the vision compas the same thing as the normal compass???
Does one substitute the other or not?
2018-8-28
Use props
nywrecker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 832421 ft
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-8-27 20:43
It’s probably like the MA, meaning it probably has a standard compass and a vision compass.

I wonder if it will require compass calibration on EVERY flight like my Air and many other in this forum require.
2018-8-28
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can't find anything in the Mavic 2 marketing information that talks about a Vision Compass, but I'm going to guess that it very likely is using the same (or newer version) as the Mavic Air.  Here is the marketing blurb from the Mavic Air portion of their website about this topic:

"The Vision Compass will assist the navigation system to estimate flight direction when the compass experiences interference. When only one direction of the front, bottom, or rear vision systems is functioning normally, the aircraft will still position itself successfully. There are two sets of sensor fusion algorithms based on two independent hardware platforms. When an error occurs to one set of algorithms, the aircraft will switch to the other pair seamlessly to resume normal functionality."
2018-8-28
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

nywrecker Posted at 2018-8-28 19:59
I wonder if it will require compass calibration on EVERY flight like my Air and many other in this forum require.

It is only a small sample size, but in my first 2 days of flying the Mavic 2 Pro, I haven't had to calibrate the compass a single time.  When I first got my Mavic Air, I definitely had to calibrate it right out of the box and have had to recalibrate it more times than I think should be realistically necessary.  So far, so good with the Mavic 2.  However, like I mentioned, only 2 days of flying so far....
2018-8-28
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

KlooGee Posted at 2018-8-28 20:12
I can't find anything in the Mavic 2 marketing information that talks about a Vision Compass, but I'm going to guess that it very likely is using the same (or newer version) as the Mavic Air.  Here is the marketing blurb from the Mavic Air portion of their website about this topic:

"The Vision Compass will assist the navigation system to estimate flight direction when the compass experiences interference. When only one direction of the front, bottom, or rear vision systems is functioning normally, the aircraft will still position itself successfully. There are two sets of sensor fusion algorithms based on two independent hardware platforms. When an error occurs to one set of algorithms, the aircraft will switch to the other pair seamlessly to resume normal functionality."

There was some pretty detailed discussion about the vision compass on the MA on the Mavicpilots forum in the past.  My guess, is that it’s also incorporated some how in the M2P.  
Side note, nice stream last night David.  Enjoyed the content.  Got my new M2P today, one day early.  Also just noticed your new M2P icon.  First I’ve seen.
2018-8-28
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, I'd really be surprised if the vision compass isn't integrated into the M2 platform.  It is a nice complement to a magnetic compass.

Glad you were able to join in on the live stream last night.  Next time I do one of those, I need to remember to mention it here on the forums so others here may join in.  It's always good to see names on the live stream chats that I recognize from here.
2018-8-28
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

KlooGee Posted at 2018-8-28 20:12

"The Vision Compass will assist the navigation system to estimate flight direction when the compass experiences interference. When only one direction of the front, bottom, or rear vision systems is functioning normally, the aircraft will still position itself successfully. There are two sets of sensor fusion algorithms based on two independent hardware platforms. When an error occurs to one set of algorithms, the aircraft will switch to the other pair seamlessly to resume normal functionality."

Safe to assume the ''Vision Compass'' only works when sun is up?  
Or does Vision Compass system have very low lux cameras that allow for lower light levels (aka dusk)?
2018-8-28
Use props
Alex Batalov
Second Officer

Spain

It would be really bad if Mavic 2 did not have the compass redundancy as you know how many compass errors we encounter
2018-8-29
Use props
Alex Batalov
Second Officer

Spain

I meant we encounter here on the forum, thank god I have not encountered a compass error yet myself.
2018-8-29
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-8-28 21:15
Safe to assume the ''Vision Compass'' only works when sun is up?  
Or does Vision Compass system have very low lux cameras that allow for lower light levels (aka dusk)?

I assume it would be dependent upon proper lighting just like the rest of the DJI vision sensor systems.  But that is only an assumption, not basing that on anything I've read.
2018-8-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

KlooGee Posted at 2018-8-28 20:28
Yeah, I'd really be surprised if the vision compass isn't integrated into the M2 platform.  It is a nice complement to a magnetic compass.

Glad you were able to join in on the live stream last night.  Next time I do one of those, I need to remember to mention it here on the forums so others here may join in.  It's always good to see names on the live stream chats that I recognize from here.

Yeah good idea give us the heads up, watched the re run, good job, you sounded very excited. Good luck with your new M2P.
2018-8-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules