Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
3 Batteries inflated on 4 - what can we do ?
636 21 2018-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Adenisot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11501778 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

HI

I am a professional pilot in Bali - Indonesia. I have actually 4 batteries for my phantom 4 pro and  3 of them are inflated. I don't understand because I really take care of my batteries and I never let the batteries in a car under the sun. But yes, in Bali the weather is very hot and after each flight, the batteries are extremely hot. The batteries are inflated in each side, and we can't see through by the side.

I am disappointed because I never had this problem with the batteries of my phantom 3pro, Mavic or inspire2 batteries. There is something we can do for fix this ?

thanks

Arnaud - from bali drone production https://www.balidroneproduction.com

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-28 at 13.07.513.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-08-28 at 13.07.51.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-08-28 at 13.07.502.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-08-28 at 13.07.50.jpeg
2018-8-27
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft

Are you frequently flying the batteries to less than 20% and then leaving them in this discharged state?
Do you know what temperature the batteries are when you remove them from the drone?
2018-8-27
Use props
Adenisot
lvl.2
  • >>>
Indonesia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-8-27 22:12
Are you frequently flying the batteries to less than 20% and then leaving them in this discharged state?
Do you know what temperature the batteries are when you remove them from the drone?

No, I use regularly the drone so the batteries don't stay more than a week under 20%. About the temperature, I didn't check in the app. Can we check in post flight with the logs ?
2018-8-27
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft

Adenisot Posted at 2018-8-27 22:21
No, I use regularly the drone so the batteries don't stay more than a week under 20%. About the temperature, I didn't check in the app. Can we check in post flight with the logs ?

Leaving batteries even for a week in a discharged state is not good.
You could upload your flights to Airdata and this will show you the battery temperatures.
2018-8-27
Use props
repairman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

let them cool after flight , and charge them to storage charge which is about 60%. then when you fly a week later top off to full.
2018-8-28
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10422228 ft
United States

Heat is one of the batteries worst enemies.  After a flight I immediately remove the battery and blow into the vents to cool down.  Then I also blow into the battery compartment to get rid of the hot air in the AC.  Then I take them inside to cool down under the air conditioning.  Haven't had to buy any replacements as of yet.
2018-8-28
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. We apologize for the inconvenience. We highly suggest to have it replaced. Please send an email to support@djji.com to have it replaced.
2018-8-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Three batteries, all shot? Wow.

Someone is having bad luck...

Yes, have them replaced...

RedHotPoker
2018-8-28
Use props
Adenisot
lvl.2
  • >>>
Indonesia

repairman Posted at 2018-8-28 03:49
let them cool after flight , and charge them to storage charge which is about 60%. then when you fly a week later top off to full.

Yes I bought especially a fan for make them cooler before to charge them.
2018-8-28
Use props
Adenisot
lvl.2
  • >>>
Indonesia

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-8-28 04:16
Heat is one of the batteries worst enemies.  After a flight I immediately remove the battery and blow into the vents to cool down.  Then I also blow into the battery compartment to get rid of the hot air in the AC.  Then I take them inside to cool down under the air conditioning.  Haven't had to buy any replacements as of yet.

yes me too, because in Bali the air is hot, the batteries are easy to 'boiling'
2018-8-28
Use props
Adenisot
lvl.2
  • >>>
Indonesia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-8-28 04:30
Three batteries, all shot? Wow.

Yes hope we can replace it... because I don't really feel good to use and charge these batteries.
2018-8-28
Use props
Adenisot
lvl.2
  • >>>
Indonesia

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-8-28 04:28
Hi. We apologize for the inconvenience. We highly suggest to have it replaced. Please send an email to  to have it replaced.

Ok thanks I will send a message.

there is a cost for replace?
2018-8-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Adenisot Posted at 2018-8-28 05:58
Yes hope we can replace it... because I don't really feel good to use and charge these batteries.

Not omly should they be replaced free of charge, no shipping shall be charged either... ;-)

It’s sad this should ever even transpire.

RedHotPoker

2018-8-28
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Adenisot Posted at 2018-8-28 05:59
Ok thanks I will send a message.

there is a cost for replace?

That will be depends on our engineers. You may send an email to support@dji.com to know more.
2018-8-28
Use props
Adenisot
lvl.2
  • >>>
Indonesia

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-8-28 06:34
That will be depends on our engineers. You may send an email to  to know more.

yes I did, thanks
2018-8-28
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

If you charge them to 100% and then don't use them, in hot conditions it is a good idea to remove some of the charge as soon as possible.  Set the auto discharge to the shortest period, but in very hot conditions it may be worth manually discharging them sooner than that if they are not going to be used for a few days.  100% full in hot conditions is the worst situation for lithium batteries, especially high voltage lithium batteries like the DJI ones.  Maybe keep them in a cool box for the hottest weather, but be careful of condensation when you take them out of the cold.
2018-8-28
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

You're welcome. Please let us know what will happen.
2018-8-28
Use props
Adenisot
lvl.2
  • >>>
Indonesia

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-8-28 06:59
If you charge them to 100% and then don't use them, in hot conditions it is a good idea to remove some of the charge as soon as possible.  Set the auto discharge to the shortest period, but in very hot conditions it may be worth manually discharging them sooner than that if they are not going to be used for a few days.  100% full in hot conditions is the worst situation for lithium batteries, especially high voltage lithium batteries like the DJI ones.  Maybe keep them in a cool box for the hottest weather, but be careful of condensation when you take them out of the cold.

Yes I agree with you. I use the batteries in hot condition but I store them in cool room.
2018-8-28
Use props
strongarm181
lvl.3
Flight distance : 229885 ft
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-8-28 04:16
Heat is one of the batteries worst enemies.  After a flight I immediately remove the battery and blow into the vents to cool down.  Then I also blow into the battery compartment to get rid of the hot air in the AC.  Then I take them inside to cool down under the air conditioning.  Haven't had to buy any replacements as of yet.

I've heard contrary to this...that is let them cool naturally as rapid cooling can actually hurt them?
2018-8-29
Use props
ChavaLozVi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 89738 ft

Mexico

For future reference let them cool down naturally before storing them in the case. I usually let them cool down for about 30 to 40 minutes before storing them back in the case, I do the same thing with the P4P.
2018-8-29
Use props
Gulfstream
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37398 ft

I have the same issue, and was told by support that they would NOT replace. It has been over a year, and less than 50 flights on each battery. They said sorry, out of warranty.
2018-8-29
Use props
Manxmann
Captain
Flight distance : 1033081 ft
Australia

I have seen 60 deg battery temp in flight.  I enquired and was advised that is not a problem.  Not sure I concur....
60 deg sounds pretty hot to me.
Incidentally that was on a day of about 40deg.

What I should say is,  the battery seems to be still performing perfectly months & months later.
Adenisot,  I think you need to be very careful with swollen batteries.
As you are a pilot,  you understand that heat & humidity are enemies of lift & performance  - so you are flying in poor (battery) conditions to begin with.
Good luck.  
Please keep this thread updated with developments
2018-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules