Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic 2 Pro – 10bit RAW Photography?
11205 22 2018-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Felix1707
lvl.1
Germany

Hey Guys,
I 'm looking forward to replace my Mavic Pro with the new Mavic 2 Pro. The all new Hasselblad Camera sounds really nice and shooting in 10Bit would be amazing since I'm really into Post-Production with Lightroom and PS. In matter of that I wonder if its possible to use the new 10bit D-Log M in Photography-Mode, too. Or is shooting in 10bit limited to videographers only? Did somebody have more Information about that?

Futhermore it would be really nice if some lucky owner of Mavic 2 Pro could provide any RAW-Images. I already fount the ones from Tom's Techtime. A few more samples would be really great.

Greets
Felix

2018-8-28
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

I wondered the same.  It appears on video at least you only get 10 bit in the HQ (cropped sensor) 4k not the full 4k mode.  Im far more interested in photography (and actually getting the drone shipped) but theres no way to easily extract the image bit depth from a DNG that i know of.
2018-8-28
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
lvl.4
Flight distance : 221476 ft
United Kingdom

According to photoshop it looks like they're 8-bit which is the same as the original Mavic.
2018-8-28
Use props
Felix1707
lvl.1
Germany

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-28 02:09
I wondered the same.  It appears on video at least you only get 10 bit in the HQ (cropped sensor) 4k not the full 4k mode.  Im far more interested in photography (and actually getting the drone shipped) but theres no way to easily extract the image bit depth from a DNG that i know of.

That would be really disappointing. The 10Bit Color-Depth could do amazing work when editing the Raw-Files. Please keep me updated, when you get your drone and can try it yourself. That would be great!
2018-8-28
Use props
Felix1707
lvl.1
Germany

Chasing Light & Shadows Posted at 2018-8-28 02:17
According to photoshop it looks like they're 8-bit which is the same as the original Mavic.

That's what I recognised when inspecting the images from Tom's Techtime. Maybe there's the possibility to enbale 10-Bit Shots when choosing the D-Log M Color-Profile in Raw Photo-Mode.
2018-8-28
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft

DLOG is a video thing, RAW is a photography thing.
2018-8-28
Use props
Felix1707
lvl.1
Germany

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-8-28 02:32
DLOG is a video thing, RAW is a photography thing.

Thats true, but 10BIt is a great improvement in both. So it would be amazing to use the color-depth in photogrphy, too. DJI calls the 10bit Color-Mode "10 Bit D-Log M" and since you can shoot RAWs with a color-profile turned on (DJI Mavic 1) iIthought maybe it's a way to activate the 10Bit Color-Depth in Photo-Mode if you choose the D-Log-M Profile when shooting RAWs.
2018-8-28
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
lvl.4
Flight distance : 221476 ft
United Kingdom

To get the best dynamic range and editing latitude you need to create a HDR out of separate DNGs and create 32-bit HDR in photoshop.
2018-8-28
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

We don't know what the dynamic range is yet.  Hopefully more images will come out soon.  The mavic 1 was garbage. Required manual bracketing and merging for even moderate differences in light.  This should be much better even if it is only providing 8 bit of tonal data.
Im not sure how to actually tell if a DNG contains 8,10,14 and so on bits of data.  The software SDKs dont seem to hint and ACR just accepts whatever default you last sent to it (which is 8 bit unless changed) and sends that into PS.  Google doesn't seem to say any method (and lots of methods as to how you cant).

2018-8-28
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Felix1707 Posted at 2018-8-28 02:37
Thats true, but 10BIt is a great improvement in both. So it would be amazing to use the color-depth in photogrphy, too. DJI calls the 10bit Color-Mode "10 Bit D-Log M" and since you can shoot RAWs with a color-profile turned on (DJI Mavic 1) iIthought maybe it's a way to activate the 10Bit Color-Depth in Photo-Mode if you choose the D-Log-M Profile when shooting RAWs.

You *can* shoot photos with profiles, but only JPGS are affected -- RAW is left alone. Or mostly left alone, there is (was?) a bug where exposure is impacted when DLOG is the chosen profile.

Agree that 10-bit is an awesome camera improvement and should provide better dynamic range for RAW files, but was trying to point out that RAW is, well, raw sensor data, unaffected by color profiles.
2018-8-28
Use props
Felix1707
lvl.1
Germany

Thank you guys for bringing me to the right track. So there‘s no specific 10Bit-Photomode because the RAW will contain all of the data which the sensor collects. Therefore the Raw will automaticly provide the maximum Color-Deprh of the sensor, which is up to 10 Bit.
2018-8-28
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

You would hope that.  However, i'll believe it when i see it!

Im hoping the D-Log affecting DNG bug isnt present too.  I didnt bother with D-Log on the MP as it always resulted in underexposed images (so it did affect the raw)

Providing, processing and compression 10 bit data from video is going to be very computationally intensive.  A still shouldnt be anything like that.
2018-8-28
Use props
karlo_m
Second Officer
Flight distance : 349885 ft
Croatia

guys... DLog-M is only for video because video is compressed 10-bit file. There's no need for DLog-M for photos because RAW DNG already has much more information in the file than any 10-but Log file.

Log is a gamma curve which "lifts" the shadows in order to "compress" more information in a 10-bit file. Your RAW DNGs have as much bits as sensor can provide.
2018-8-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi. Thanks for reaching out. The Mavic 2 Pro supports a 10-bit Dlog-M color profile that yields higher dynamic range for more flexibility in the grading room. However, Dlog-M can only be used for video and you may use raw for photos. Thank you.
2018-8-29
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

karlo_m Posted at 2018-8-29 00:18
guys... DLog-M is only for video because video is compressed 10-bit file. There's no need for DLog-M for photos because RAW DNG already has much more information in the file than any 10-but Log file.

Log is a gamma curve which "lifts" the shadows in order to "compress" more information in a 10-bit file. Your RAW DNGs have as much bits as sensor can provide.

Correct about D-log but even the RAW file has differing bits of data coming from the sensor. D-Log should be irrelevant to stills (although the Mavic 1 had a bug where it did)
The old mavic was 8.  My DSLR for example is 14.
We simply dont know if the RAW file provides 8 or 10 bits per channel in the file.
We'd HOPE its 10 but we dont know yet.
2018-8-29
Use props
karlo_m
Second Officer
Flight distance : 349885 ft
Croatia

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-29 10:24
Correct about D-log but even the RAW file has differing bits of data coming from the sensor. D-Log should be irrelevant to stills (although the Mavic 1 had a bug where it did)
The old mavic was 8.  My DSLR for example is 14.
We simply dont know if the RAW file provides 8 or 10 bits per channel in the file.

it provides much more than 10. it's not logical that the camera can shoot 10-bit video but RAW file is only 8 or 10 bit
2018-8-29
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

It doesnt provide more than 10 for sure and the old mavic was 8.   You'd expect/hope it provided 10 bit but nobody knows - remember it'll only give 10 bit for video in the HQ crop mode.
2018-8-29
Use props
ErikSwan
lvl.1
United States

According to Ming Thein, who worked on the camera at Hasselblad, the RAW DNG stills are 12 or 14 bits:
https://blog.mingthein.com/2018/ ... iew/#comment-576392

It is possible to figure out the raw bit depth by inspecting the DNG files, but I don't have the time or software to do so at the moment. This software should be able to do it, I would think:
https://www.rawdigger.com/
2018-8-29
Use props
pooch
lvl.1
United States

what megapixles are jpeg vs raw photos on mp2?
2018-10-11
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106093 ft
France

The size of images produced by M2P is 5,464 x 3,640 = 19,888,960 pixels, this number being exactly the same for a JPEG or a RAW.

It is not possible to deduct the bit depth of the sensor from the DNG file, as DNG files will be either 8 bits or 16 bits, i.e. if the bit depth is 10 bits, it will be packaged in a 16 bit DNG file. Unfortunately, in the case of the M2P, DNG files are 8 bit, as can be seen when opening the DNG file with Adobe Camera Raw:

That's a pity, as the sensor is able to provide more bit depth, at least 10. Is this something that can be enhanced by software? This would be interesting, for sure.
2018-10-11
Use props
harryschautsichum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 546788 ft

pjollain Posted at 2018-10-11 21:49
The size of images produced by M2P is 5,464 x 3,640 = 19,888,960 pixels, this number being exactly the same for a JPEG or a RAW.

It is not possible to deduct the bit depth of the sensor from the DNG file, as DNG files will be either 8 bits or 16 bits, i.e. if the bit depth is 10 bits, it will be packaged in a 16 bit DNG file. Unfortunately, in the case of the M2P, DNG files are 8 bit, as can be seen when opening the DNG file with Adobe Camera Raw:

Sorry, that is not correct. Mavic1pro DNG has 14bit, Mavic2Pro 16bit. Your screenshot only shows, what result adobe camera raw will process.
2018-10-17
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106093 ft
Luxembourg

harryschautsichum Posted at 2018-10-17 03:21
Sorry, that is not correct. Mavic1pro DNG has 14bit, Mavic2Pro 16bit. Your screenshot only shows, what result adobe camera raw will process.

You are perfectly right! Sorry for the confusion I have created by writing this.
Indeed, I opened a RAW file from my Canon 1DX Mark II, and it was also mentioned 8 bits...

2018-10-17
Use props
djiuser_er0y9uu85L2g
New
Flight distance : 36266 ft

According to exiftool, Mavic 2 pro DNGs are saved as 16 bit RAW. Maybe the sensor is 10 or 14 as it was said, but it must be encoded as either 8 or 16.
Maybe Lightroom can't understand the RAW data and uses the JPEG preview... I don't know.

I use Raw Therapee to process the Mavics DNGs, and it seems to handle the HDR range very well.
2019-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules