Mavic 2 - side collision avoidance
11796 20 2018-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pagemakers
lvl.3
Flight distance : 406430 ft
United Kingdom

Why is side collision avoidance only active in intelligent flight modes on the Mavic 2?

Do you think a future software update will allow collision avoidance with manual flight?
2018-8-28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for the inquiry. Sensing for left/right directions is only available in ActiveTrack or Tripod Mode, however, we will check this information to our R&D engineers to seek for the clarification. Obstacle avoidance should works while flying in P mode. Thank you for the interest.
2018-8-28
Use props
Pagemakers
lvl.3
United States

Any update on this. I just wonder why the side sensors aren’t available in manual flight.
2018-9-2
Use props
Pagemakers
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Any update?
2018-9-13
Use props
DH_Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

Yes that would be nice if it could be enabled all the time if needed not only in inteligent flight modes.
2018-9-13
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Interesting, just follow on this matter
2018-9-13
Use props
QuantumCommando
lvl.2
Flight distance : 578976 ft
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 8-28 14:30
Hi, Thanks for the inquiry. Sensing for left/right directions is only available in ActiveTrack or Tripod Mode, however, we will check this information to our R&D engineers to seek for the clarification. Obstacle avoidance should works while flying in P mode. Thank you for the interest.

I see no reason for the side sensors to be off. If I begin active track before it starts following. I am flying the same way as P mode and it works fine!!! Why on earth are side sensors off otherwise? I see no real reason aside from holding off for another version... Please add this in an update. Please respond DJI! Thank you.
2018-11-2
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

QuantumCommando Posted at 11-2 12:53
I see no reason for the side sensors to be off. If I begin active track before it starts following. I am flying the same way as P mode and it works fine!!! Why on earth are side sensors off otherwise? I see no real reason aside from holding off for another version... Please add this in an update. Please respond DJI! Thank you.

Hi, thanks for your feedback. As of the moment, the side sensors are currently working while using the Active track or Tripod mode and we understand your concern here. We will help you out to forward your suggestion with our engineers to see if we could to possibly make it in the future. Thank you for the support.
2018-11-4
Use props
Pedro Castelani
Second Officer

Argentina

Maybe its just off to prevent you from getting to accustomed to having 360 obstacle avoidance all the time. Imagine trying to fly a drone which only has front, downward and backward sensors in a tight spot after that. Its probably off for the best.
2018-12-4
Use props
djiuser_MhwRytrjFb0A
lvl.1
Spain

No sense paying 1499€ for 360º obstacle avoidance if you disable it. Please, make an update. I payed a lot of money for my Mavic 2, no sense to get it destroyed by a wall when i could avoid it if you give me a option where i choose "Yes/No" for activate lateral sensors in manual flyghts. So easy. Is just software.
I know here we are only few asking for this, but i am pretty sure many reads this and don't write their opinion, but want the same. Is a optional feature what your programmers can make in a software update. Doesn't affect people who doesn't want this feature.
2018-12-19
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

Side collision sensors are single sensors, not twin sensors that can easily detect distance.

Side collision sensors are like a blind person with a white cane. Move slowly and an obstacle can be detected with sufficient time to stop, but if that person was running then there might not be time to stop

Mavic 2 is similar, in Active track or Tripod mode the ground speed is restricted and so side collision detection is possible. In all other modes the ground speed is possibly too great for the capability of the side sensors so they are disabled. If dji made it possible to activate the side sensors in P mode then people would fly into obstacles and complain/ask for warranty replacement etc.

So the bottom line, until Mavic 3 or Phantom 5 or whatever comes out  with multiple  side sensors then it's a waste of time complaining as what is asked for is not possible with the current Mavic 2 hardware.

Just learn to use what you have safely within it's limitations and have fun
2018-12-19
Use props
iagho
lvl.1
Flight distance : 255230 ft
United Kingdom

+1

Side sensors should definitely be available in P mode!

2019-1-11
Use props
raven swe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 517936 ft
Sweden

I asked for this a while back, will have to wait and see if we get it, I would like the option to turn these on or off
2019-1-11
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

When experience will grow with every flight, you'll find yourself even switching off obstacle sensors to enjoy your flight
2019-1-11
Use props
nikolaous
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1068894 ft
Greece

I would also like to have the option to activate or not the side sensors ! Dji please fix it ! I have bought mavic 2 for  360 degrees protection !
2019-4-5
Use props
fansfa5ed672
lvl.2
Flight distance : 300548 ft
Sweden

Hello. Purchased my drone this Friday and now I see this isn't fixed yet. Wth ! I thought all sensors could be activated and why shouldn't they?
I'm not sure but the half finished product still is half finished after 6 months. I want an answer if DJI will fix this or not, And i need an answer in the next couple of days so i can return it !

There are so much missing still compare to Mavic 1 ,Thought this was an update and not a downgrade?
Please let me know if there is any plans of activating the side sensors in P mode or at least let people decide them self
2019-4-6
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansfa5ed672 Posted at 4-6 12:23
Hello. Purchased my drone this Friday and now I see this isn't fixed yet. Wth ! I thought all sensors could be activated and why shouldn't they?
I'm not sure but the half finished product still is half finished after 6 months. I want an answer if DJI will fix this or not, And i need an answer in the next couple of days so i can return it !

Good luck getting a forward looking statement about future features.  If that is your decision point, you may as well go ahead and return now.  However, good luck in finding a replacement that has even close to what the Mavic 2 has in terms of object avoidance.

DJI has been quite clear about the side sensors from the beginning.  If you look at their marketing material at all, you will see they have labeled it clearly about when the side sensors are active.  Also, with each subsequent firmware release, DJI has added additional modes where the side sensors are active.  I'm guessing this trend will continue with subsequent firmware updates as well.

I think if you check the market, outside of the Skydio (which is a completely different type of camera drone), you'll be hard pressed to find a competitor with anywhere near the object avoidance capabilities of the Mavic 2.  Parrot, xDynamics, Xiaomi, and many others don't have any object avoidance at all.  The Autel Evo, which is really the nearest competitor to the Mavic 2 line, really only has front object avoidance sensors.  The Evo does have sensors in the rear, but from what I understand, they just alert you, but don't actually stop you from crashing into things.

So the Mavic 2 may not be protected all around all of the time, but its still pretty good when compared to the competition.  

As to the Mavic 2 being a downgrade from the original Mavic Pro, that's just crazy.  I think pretty much almost anybody who has spent any amount of time with the Mavic 2 would argue with you on that one.  

And yes, it would be great to see DJI getting the side sensors working in all situations with a menu option to disable on demand.
2019-4-6
Use props
daren.lonsdaleicloud.com
lvl.1
Flight distance : 221939 ft
Australia

Strange all these people complaining about the side sensors not available in P mode and expecting it to be something DJI are expected to fix. It's not a fault so why would they fix it? I think Boffin had a reasonable explanation of why it would not be feasible earlier in this thread. The side sensors are not stereo so can not actually calculate distance to an object, they would use the other sensors and main camera to predict how far away the object is, but would need to retain that info in a buffer long enough to be used, probably why only available during automated flight when the aircraft has precise control of it's movement direction and speed can it do that.
2021-2-18
Use props
itellthetruth
New

United States

Jeez, man, really?Well, do you think DJI will really give you the honest answer? They won't, and the reason why it's not active is obvious: they want you to crash and burn your dollars on another drone. And I'm tired of all these idiot butt kissers and their answers justifying DJI's MO, a bunch of suckers, sorry... EVO II has what you want, and for the same price. Wake up
2021-5-18
Use props
itellthetruth
New

United States

daren.lonsdaleicloud.com Posted at 2-18 20:20
Strange all these people complaining about the side sensors not available in P mode and expecting it to be something DJI are expected to fix. It's not a fault so why would they fix it? I think Boffin had a reasonable explanation of why it would not be feasible earlier in this thread. The side sensors are not stereo so can not actually calculate distance to an object, they would use the other sensors and main camera to predict how far away the object is, but would need to retain that info in a buffer long enough to be used, probably why only available during automated flight when the aircraft has precise control of it's movement direction and speed can it do that.

Dude, you are the dumbest sucker I've ever seen...
2021-5-18
Use props
itellthetruth
New

United States

nixuspix Posted at 2019-1-11 02:56
When experience will grow with every flight, you'll find yourself even switching off obstacle sensors to enjoy your flight

maybe in time you will crash enough drones and become an idiot praising these "friends at DJI". They just want you to be happy...
2021-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules