Set home point - multiple problems...
4858 9 2015-5-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alterastro
lvl.2

United Kingdom

ok so the latest version of the iOS app has the ability to set the home point for either the bird or your iPad. But I'm having problems....

Firstly when trying to set the home point to my iPad I get the message that Gps signal is weak and can't be set. I know the iPad is fine as my position is pinpointed on the map. I then discovered that the P3 has to be powered on. Not sure why as its my position I want to record and not the birds. So it now allows me to set my position, but I get the warning that RTH will come back to this spot at an altitude of 0m as set in my fail safe settings (I have set it to 50m). So I click ok and then I get a message saying home point cannot be recorded!

So I try to set the birds home point and get the same warnings and also a message saying home point failed.

Am I being dim or is something not right? Has anybody else tried these features with success?

Cheers

Nick

2015-5-28
Use props
Deerstalker
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I think I'm write in saying you have to set your fail safe height every flight
2015-5-28
Use props
danno1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1043150 ft
United States

The drone has to be powered on (I assume) because the home point has to be sent to the drone and recorded there.  I think you are assuming that the remote is controlling the course of the drone when RTH is initiated, however this is obviously not the case since the drone will return home if the signal is lost.
2015-5-28
Use props
Alterastro
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I think I understand now that the P3 records the RTH position of the iPad or the P3 hence needing to be on, but would be nice if there were some detailed instructions and/or better info on the app?
Come on DJI, help out your buyers!!!!
2015-5-28
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Alterastro Posted at 2015-5-29 05:19
I think I understand now that the P3 records the RTH position of the iPad or the P3 hence needing to ...

The P3 acquires the HP. Has no bearing on your tablet as mine still records HP with tablet GPS and wifi turned off. The P2V+ used to recognise the phone/tablets GPS for dynamic HP but we don't have that currently on the P3. Double edged sword I guess cause what if your device failed to update GPS and you lost signal? I am assuming it would revert to takeoff HP?  I have heard rumors that the P3 controller has GPS also? A triple redundancy would be nice. I don't really move around alot while filmng but I could see the benefit while driving or boating....
2015-6-2
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

If you are connected and up and flying, with the v1.1.2 IOS app you can RESET the home point to either where the P3 is NOW or where your IOS device is NOW.  This value is immediately stored in the P3.  The RTH altitude is absolutely REMEMBERED between flying sessions, as a matter of fact MOST of the data in the setup is remembered, but you must be powered and connected for these values to be saved.  One that I've found that is not remembered is the gimbal elevation setting that allows the gimbal to tilt upwards 15 degrees.  This is turned off between sessions but I wish it would remember it.  Alterastro - learn everything you can about the nature of RTH so that you are not surprised by it if it kicks in.  Always remember the 20 meter rule.
2015-6-2
Use props
Alterastro
lvl.2

United Kingdom

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-6-3 07:49
The P3 acquires the HP. Has no bearing on your tablet as mine still records HP with tablet GPS and ...

The P3 does have dynamic Home point with the latest iOS app.

The way I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), is that YOUR home point (i.e. iPad) is determined by the GPS in your iPad and sent to the P3. If you lose connection the P3 will return to the iPad home point stored. I don't believe the P3 controller has GPS inbuilt, so if you have a wifi only iPad, this function won't work.

mswall - I will do some more testing, but when I tried this before I had a message saying RTH would utilise the 0m altitude as stored in my failsafe settings. This is wrong as I have set the RTH altitude to 50m and confirmed that is stored. Hopefully this is just a message bug - will try and see! Have you tried it yet?

Cheers
2015-6-2
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Alterastro Posted at 2015-6-3 14:29
The P3 does have dynamic Home point with the latest iOS app.

The way I understand it (correct me ...

Got ya. IS that only in the ios Pilot app I guess? There hasn't been an Android update so I am assuming it's the same old same old there.
2015-6-2
Use props
edde_m
lvl.1

Czechia

(Beginner level, P3/IPAD Air,) Hi, I have updated to the last version of the firmware of my P3. I tried to set my home point and I kept receiving a message telling me that no point was recorded. I tried to turn on and off both systems and it did not work out.  It was showing me a return altitude of 0 m. Curiously on the map it was showing the symbol that a home point was recorded. So I flew carefully and asked my P3 to return home and it did successfully. Does it mean that the software has a bug or that I did something wrong ? How can I trust this info ? Thanks
2015-7-12
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

If I'm not mistaken the bird nice to be powered on and about 3 feet from the ground before you can set home plate if I'm incorrect somebody correctly
2015-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules