BEWARE MAVIC 2 PRO OWNERS!! >>PROCESSOR CHIP OVERHEAT ISSUES<<
12Next >
11290 41 2018-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JeffCollier
lvl.1

United States

Hi everyone, its sad that this is my very first post on this forum and I dont really post anywhere online, but I just wanted to put it out there and tell everyone who has just purchased a mavic 2 pro to beware.  

If you have a new mavic pro 2 fly really low to start and make sure it does not overheat!  

I just received my mavic 2 pro and flew about 2 ft for a minute or two then 6 ft for a minute or two and then I took it to 15ft and the processor overheated and the drone turned off in the air and my nice new mavic 2 pro fell to the ground.  

Now I'm stuck waiting for an email with instructions to send my brand new mavic pro 2 back, to then wait some more for them to evaluate what happened and possibly send me a replacement.  

Needless to say I AM NOT a HAPPY DJI CUSTOMER RIGHT NOW!!!

2018-8-28
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Did you get any kind of Message, Warning, or Error via GO-4 App running on your SmartDevice prior to Mavic Pro 2 turning itself off?

How hot was ambient Air Temperature when MP2 turned itself off?

Got video from crash?  Pictures of remains of MP2?

2018-8-28
Use props
JeffCollier
lvl.1

United States

This is all i got, I do not have any video from the crash unfortunately.  
2018-8-28
Use props
JeffCollier
lvl.1

United States

it didn’t give any warning what so ever on the app, it just turned off and fell form the sky, I ran to try and catch it, but I didn’t make it.  
2018-8-28
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

I can see the batteries overheating in this summer heat especially here in Arizona  but I wouldn't think  the processor chip would over heat that fast. Are any of the vents clogged with packing material.
2018-8-28
Use props
JeffCollier
lvl.1

United States

here are some pics of the damage, it crashed partially on the sidewalk.  

2018-8-28
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Gee, I wonder if this is a reason there is and update to the M2 already???
2018-8-28
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

Post the log.
2018-8-28
Use props
JeffCollier
lvl.1

United States

I cant even get the drone to connect to any computer
2018-8-28
Use props
Alex Batalov
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

I think that Unfortunatelly you might have gotten a faulty unit.
In which the chip overheats much more than normal.
I’m sure that DJI in this case should replace it.

Fly safe everyone.
Alex.
2018-8-28
Use props
JeffCollier
lvl.1

United States

Also there were no obstructions to any vents, just to clarify.
2018-8-28
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm pretty sure that you unfortunately received a faulty mavic. I've been running the Mavic 2 on my dining room table for at least 30 minutes running camera tests. It gets no wind, no cold air.. and I haven't had an issue. Hope they sort it out for you, sorry to hear about your crash.
2018-8-28
Use props
WickedWingman
lvl.3
United States

it was about 92degF here today.  I flew 2 batteries back to banck until it was beeping incessantly for me to land.  no issues thankfully.
2018-8-28
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

94degF here today, M2P was fine...Ipad Mini 4 overheated and crashed.
2018-8-28
Use props
JeffCollier
lvl.1

United States

yeah it was 82 here in the burbs of chicago when i was flying it at noon
2018-8-28
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 81401 ft
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-8-28 12:01
94degF here today, M2P was fine...Ipad Mini 4 overheated and crashed.

I will be needing to use my iPad Mini when I fly mine until DJI pushes the update for the CS's.

I turn off all of the recordings in the app.  That has helped with the iPad overheating.
2018-8-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Should be a clear warranty case.
2018-8-28
Use props
JeffCollier
lvl.1

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-8-28 12:16
Should be a clear warranty case.

it better be, i’m so frustrated with DJI right now.  
2018-8-28
Use props
Anthony566
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

As already said I'm sure this is a faulty unit and DJI will just replace it.
My experience with DJI warrenty and repair  has been five star so just try and relax and it will all be sorted.
2018-8-28
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

JeffCollier Posted at 2018-8-28 11:49
I cant even get the drone to connect to any computer

You can post the TXT flight log from your mobile device. Follow the instructions here.
2018-8-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

JeffCollier Posted at 2018-8-28 12:20
it better be, i’m so frustrated with DJI right now.

Don't be frustrated.
Nobody benefits from that.
Some patience will get you a long way.
I recently had a GPS malfunction on my Mavic Pro.
It was repaired for me under warranty.
Took some time, but those things happen.
2018-8-28
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10321657 ft
Canada

you should have no problems getting  your drone replaced by DJI.
2018-8-28
Use props
Novadesigns
lvl.2

I ran my Mavic 2 Pro last night for several hours, setting things up, patching firmware, etc... fans ran normally, no overheating. I flew it for 40 minutes this morning without incident.
I definitely agree that this is an isolated case.

It sucks to be the one it happens to... but the sky is not falling so please be careful with your overly sensational thread titles.
2018-8-28
Use props
Vendex
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16722920 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

This is a single unit issue, nothing to worry about.
2018-8-28
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

JeffCollier Posted at 2018-8-28 11:14
[view_image]  This is all i got, I do not have any video from the crash unfortunately.

Got a chuckle out of last message.  ''It will recover after cooling down.''  

Who ever came up with that message, has little experience beyond lab bench.
2018-8-28
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-8-28 15:57
Got a chuckle out of last message.  ''It will recover after cooling down.''  

Who ever came up with that message, has little experience beyond lab bench.

It will cool down at least the one which turned off and fell into the lake.
2018-8-28
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Jeff, I'm so sorry to read your post. Could you export the flight data in the aircraft, sync the flight records and tell us your DJI Account? We'd like to check the exact status and try our best to help you.

Also, please kindly start a case and send it in from here: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index Please tell us your case number once you got it, we'll take your case as the priority and keep following up.
2018-8-28
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44957 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am glad I come here before buying, will wait DJI sort all the bugs, as always.....rush to put a half tested product just to meet the deadlines of profit.

Was nice that you did a test flight at low height first....just imagine if you had trusted the new product and took off and the Mavic turned off and fell from the sky causing some damage to others property.  
2018-8-28
Use props
Alex Batalov
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

So far only 2 reports of faulty Mavic 2, not bad DJI!

Fly safe people.
Alex.
2018-8-29
Use props
fans52fd43c8
New

United States

So what happened, did you get a new drone? Same thing just happened to me 07/12/2119.  Second paying job with this drone.  Dropped from the sky.   So disappointed.  
2019-7-12
Use props
fans52fd43c8
New

United States

just happened to me.  what should I do
2019-7-12
Use props
fans52fd43c8
New

United States

Anyone please help.  Less then 30 days from purchase.  Everything was going great.  Best drone yet I have every flown.  Drone dropped out of the sky in front of paying client.  Drone is Ok my reputation is not.  Unit says I have overheated.  WOW where do I go from here. Nothing will reset. Everything is locked out.  Drone got so hot you could not touch it.  Seems to me I got sold a faulty unit.  But if anyone knows a fix please let me know.  Questions? perfect flying weather, no obstructions ( mapping a golf course).  Look forward to any help.  Thanks everyone.
2019-7-12
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

Believe me OR don't believe!

In Kuwait where the highest temperature (46) at the afternoon there are drones flying.

No processor chip overheated yet!
2019-7-13
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

fans52fd43c8 Posted at 7-12 23:13
Anyone please help.  Less then 30 days from purchase.  Everything was going great.  Best drone yet I have every flown.  Drone dropped out of the sky in front of paying client.  Drone is Ok my reputation is not.  Unit says I have overheated.  WOW where do I go from here. Nothing will reset. Everything is locked out.  Drone got so hot you could not touch it.  Seems to me I got sold a faulty unit.  But if anyone knows a fix please let me know.  Questions? perfect flying weather, no obstructions ( mapping a golf course).  Look forward to any help.  Thanks everyone.

Start a claim with DJI for warranty/exchange
2019-7-15
Use props
tom11111
New
United States

7th of August 2019,
Yesterday my Mavic Pro 2 got the error "Processor chip critically overheated..." in mid air flying above a lake
(Normal mode, Recording video, 82 degrees & barely any wind, aircraft calibrated before flight)
which then automatically initiated Return-To-Home.
I noticed the drone was gaining altitude because of RTH, decided to cancel and try manually flying back in attempt to land safely & faster. (i also had around %14 battery)
i had to tap the cancel button multiple times because RTH was initiating again and again alongside the very stressing error.. eventually and luckily i managed to fly it close enough to me and safely land it with one hand holding down the left stick (to lower the Mavics height) while "fighting" RTH with the other hand taping the red "X" to cancel RTH which kept trying to bring it back to the exact home point.(like 15 feet away)
anyway after safely landing i immediately turned it off and took it inside to the ac.
did not notice any crazy heat..no burnt smell, temperature was reading 39 Cº after powering on again + fans were working as normal. looked around everything seemed ok,
and in short - NOW IT WONT FLY.
EVERYTHING ON MY MAVIC LOOKS AS GOOD AS NEW , IT TURNS ON NORMALLY, CAMERA, GIMBAL, LEDS AND FANS ALL WORKING AS I REMEMBER FROM DAY 1 BUT I SIMPLY HAVE THAT ERROR PREVENTING MAVIC FROM TAKING OFF *NO MATTER WHAT.
Yes i have contacted DJI SUPPORT Online, told the guy what happened he instructed me to install dji assistant, refresh the firmware and finally to recalibrate IMU but unfortunately i am left waiting for DJI's Engineering team to respond to my flight records for further instructions.
I have truly enjoyed using this drone so far and have always been extremely careful with it, now i am really frustrated hoping this could be some kind of software issue maybe (?) Doubt it..
I really don't feel like sending this in, especially after reading a ton of complaints stories online - regarding faulty drones, returns, failed replacements and DJI'S "not so very satisfying" support.
as i can see there are a few more reports about the same error/problem
I will update asap .. wish me luck \:
2019-8-7
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to read that - whenever this happens it is best to simply return the drone for replacement/repair - it is often caused by the internal fan not functioning properly on the rare occasions this may happen.
2019-8-8
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

I wonder what happened with the OP.  I am curious to hear if he got any positive traction on this issue.  So far, I haven't had an issue with my Mavic 2, though I usually fly pretty wary.
2019-8-8
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

tom11111 Posted at 8-7 19:45
Yesterday my Mavic Pro 2 got the error "Processor chip critically overheated..." in mid air flying above a lake
(Normal mode, Recording video, 82 degrees & barely any wind, aircraft calibrated before flight)

Did you have a swollen battery?
Because this is what happened to me. The swollen battery pushed down in the battery compartment and
apparently made the processor fan stop intermittently . After landing I kept the drone on and with a slight downward push on the battery I could hear how the fan stopped. Interesting was that there was no way to stop the RTH procedure. I tried everything - no chance.

I have six batteries, each was used around 30 full flights. Three of them started swelling recently.
Those are garbage now.

2019-8-17
Use props
djiuser_2m7FxqmB6cij
lvl.1

Canada

Im having the same problem with my NEW never flown drone

I can’t even update the damn thing because if over heats just sitting in my kitchen counter.

Oven even tried having the drone sit on a bag full of ice to keep it cool

This will def be my first and last drone from DJI.

Not very happy with the support either
2019-12-29
Use props
djiuser_2m7FxqmB6cij
lvl.1

Canada

It’s the only way I can keep my drone on for more then 2 minutes. Can’t even download log errors because this piece of ... keeps turn off
image.jpg
2019-12-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules