12Next >
7653 50 2018-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
idillicah
lvl.1
Paraguay

Hello guys!

Well, I'm yet another P3S user with a very short range (less than 100m distance, less than 40m height). I also lose controller signal and the drone RTH until it acquires it again.

Here's some data:

1. I'm on the latest firmware for app, controller, aircraft and battery (updated through the app, log says: Packet: P3C_FW_V99.99.9999.bin, updated 21-08-2018)
2. I've tried re-setting the frequency of the controller/aircraft connection from within the app.
3. I'm flying in wide open spaces with little to no interference (I'm in the countryside).
4. I lose RC signal AND video signal AND telemetry.
5. As mentioned before, drone RTC upon signal loss until it aquires it again.
6. Beginner mode disabled, I've checked every setting and SHOULD be getting full flight range.
7. I'm in Paraguay, South America.

Drone was purchased new from an authorized dealer and used to have better range. It has not been in any serious accidents or crashes. I baby my stuff. There's been no hardware mods. I've only tried the Icarus app mod and the Magic Power mod after having range issues. They have not solved the problem.

Any help is appreciated!

Also, if you'll suggest downgrading the firmware, please specify:
1. Version of FW needed.
2. Whether DJI actually allows FW downgrading. I don't want to brick my drone!

Thanks in advance for your help!
2018-8-28
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft

What FW version are actually installed on the P3S system? ..and what Go app version is on the mobile? May be you need to refresh the FW .
2018-8-29
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>

Following, one of the guys on the rescue squad has the same issue. We've even tried a different controller on his.
2018-8-29
Use props
idillicah
lvl.1
Paraguay

Peterx Posted at 2018-8-29 07:42
What FW version are actually installed on the P3S system? ..and what Go app version is on the mobile? May be you need to refresh the FW .

Hello @Peterx and thank you for your reply!

App version: 3.1.43 (running on an Android device, OS v. 6.0)
FW version: 1.9.20

RE: "refreshing FW", how does one go about doing that?
2018-8-29
Use props
fans6548b447
New
United States

idillicah Posted at 2018-8-29 13:26
Hello @Peterx and thank you for your reply!

App version: 3.1.43 (running on an Android device, OS v. 6.0)

Guys,

I am having the same exact issue. I havent changed anything on both ends, but the distance it goes before losing signal completely is like 50-70 feet away and maybe 70-80 feet in the air. Its been acting up alot. Even while flying it seems like its compensating for something.
2018-8-29
Use props
Peterx
First Officer

Did you have a look into the log file from the firm ware upgrade yet ? Was all successful? 2. For the P3S the downgrade option is not available but with a debug header file is it able to do.
The "refresh of the firmware" you can dload the FW file directly from this link from DJI.
2018-8-30
Use props
idillicah
lvl.1
Paraguay

Peterx Posted at 2018-8-30 06:48
Did you have a look into the log file from the firm ware upgrade yet ? Was all successful? 2. For the P3S the downgrade option is not available but with a debug header file is it able to do.
The "refresh of the firmware" you can dload the FW file directly from this link from DJI.

It did say that the firmware updated correctly, but I think I'll give it a shot via MicroSD using that link.

If it doesn't work, I'll inquire further about the debug option.

Will report back as soon as I can.
2018-8-30
Use props
djiuser_krPVXymrsWtq
New

I'm having similar issues with a barometer error also after firmware spare. An email with solution please. Michaelmunsterman@yahoo.com
2018-8-30
Use props
idillicah
lvl.1
Paraguay

I tried putting that FW file into the MicroSD card for manual upgrade but it returned an error in the log file, saying that the version is the same as the one already installed:

Packet: P3C_FW_V01.09.0200.bin
Result: Abort.
The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the aircraft.

I'm looking into downgrading the FW now but I want to know which version is the best to downgrade to in terms of range.

I'm hoping to have to do this only once.
2018-8-31
Use props
idillicah
lvl.1
Paraguay

I was able to force a re-flash of this FW linked here kindly by @Peterx by using the debug method used for downgrading firmware.

After following best practice procedures after the FW flash (re-installing the app, re-syncing the remote, making sure it wasn't in beginner mode, re-calibrating the compass, etc), I can confirm that I was able to get a range gain of around 25% to 30% under the same flying conditions.

It is difficult to know for sure as I did not write down the exact distance, but I was able to get around 220 meters (around 720 feet) this time around.

This is using the latest official FW and DJI Go App, without adding the Icarus or Magic Power mods after flashing.

I intend to re-try Magic Power tomorrow to see if there is any range increase. I ran out of light today.

A curious fact: I ran out of signal on the controller, but the video feed had plenty of bars still and the telemetry worked.

I also tried the modified Russian DJI Go App that supposedly gives you FCC range in CE territories, but it had no effect. I'm guessing it's because I'm not reaching the 500m maximum CE range to begin with.
2018-8-31
Use props
Peterx
First Officer

My P3S has the latest FW version and the latest Go app version on mobile. My AC get out to 400+ meters distance in 100 meters height over free field. But in normal action i let it fly far between 100 to 200 meters away.
2018-9-1
Use props
idillicah
lvl.1
Paraguay

Peterx Posted at 2018-9-1 07:17
My P3S has the latest FW version and the latest Go app version on mobile. My AC get out to 400+ meters distance in 100 meters height over free field. But in normal action i let it fly far between 100 to 200 meters away.

Good to know you've got good results with latest FW and App versions.

Did you do incremental upgrades or did you buy the drone recently and upgraded directly to 1.9.20?

I honestly don't mind 200m as long as it's a reliable 200m. I do a lot of event and real estate so that's plenty of range for me, I don't need more than that. But I do need it to be reliable.

It's raining here again so I'm going to wait a couple of days to use Magic Power and see if I can spot any difference in the range.
2018-9-1
Use props
Peterx
First Officer

I´d buy the P3S 2017 and did upgrade the FW on the time that the new version was released via Go app and had no issues after upgrading. My upgrading was from the factory FW over 1.08,0100 to 1.09.0200.
If you want to use Magic Power then you may use a laptop for the tweak. First power on the RC and then AC. Start the laptop with fired up WIFI and search for the Phantoms SSID and connect it to the Phantoms net.
Start the Magic Power as administrator and let it go step 1,make the setting and then step 2. Set the DBa of your wish.
2018-9-1
Use props
idillicah
lvl.1
Paraguay

Peterx Posted at 2018-9-1 13:24
I´d buy the P3S 2017 and did upgrade the FW on the time that the new version was released via Go app and had no issues after upgrading. My upgrading was from the factory FW over 1.08,0100 to 1.09.0200.
If you want to use Magic Power then you may use a laptop for the tweak. First power on the RC and then AC. Start the laptop with fired up WIFI and search for the Phantoms SSID and connect it to the Phantoms net.
Start the Magic Power as administrator and let it go step 1,make the setting and then step 2. Set the DBa of your wish.

Ah, good to know. I think the problem comes from doing incremental upgrades. This was the third time I'd got a FW upgrade from DJI. I think it's best to do a fresh flash when big updates come out. Lowers the risk of something messing up.

And thank you for the Magic Power tips! I'd already done it before, but it's always good to have tips at hand.

I'm hoping that with this new flash FW installed and Magic Power, I'll finally be able to reach around 500m. I don't really want the extra 250 meters, but I do want the 200 meters I need to work really, really well.

I'll report back when I've got better weather here at home.
2018-9-1
Use props
Peterx
First Officer

Did you get any positive effect yet?
2018-9-3
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Are you sure you're aiming correctly?
2018-9-3
Use props
idillicah
lvl.1
Paraguay

Peterx Posted at 2018-9-3 02:02

Rain has not let up, so I haven't done the Magic Power mod yet. I don't want to risk going into the air during a rain break, and then have my bird get wet.

But doing a fresh FW flash on its own, as I said, netted me a 25% range increase (or thereabouts).
2018-9-3
Use props
idillicah
lvl.1
Paraguay

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-9-3 09:14
Are you sure you're aiming correctly?

I'm unsure what you mean. Can you elaborate, please?
2018-9-3
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

idillicah Posted at 2018-9-3 10:12
I'm unsure what you mean. Can you elaborate, please?

For the best connection, you must position your controller's antenna and the controller itself in a certain way relative to the Phantom.  
2018-9-3
Use props
idillicah
lvl.1
Paraguay

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-9-3 12:27
For the best connection, you must position your controller's antenna and the controller itself in a certain way relative to the Phantom.

Due to my experience with networking, I was already following the advice given in this video:

Are there any other things I should be taking into consideration?
2018-9-3
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

idillicah Posted at 2018-9-3 12:37
Due to my experience with networking, I was already following the advice given in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7M9JtfVwQE

Are there any other things I should be taking into consideration?

Yes - there are two patch antennas hidden inside the controller pointing straight ahead and they are for the FPV/telemetry, so for best signals for both control and FPV, you want to be sure both the antenna and the controller are positioned correctly.   The video linked above isn't the best for explaining the aiming for the P3S or the P3 SE.  

Also, if it was me, I would not modify the system without first solving the range problem because all you're doing is masking the root problem.  

Good luck
2018-9-3
Use props
idillicah
lvl.1
Paraguay

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-9-3 13:09
Yes - there are two patch antennas hidden inside the controller pointing straight ahead and they are for the FPV/telemetry, so for best signals for both control and FPV, you want to be sure both the antenna and the controller are positioned correctly.   The video linked above isn't the best for explaining the aiming for the P3S or the P3 SE.  

Also, if it was me, I would not modify the system without first solving the range problem because all you're doing is masking the root problem.  

Do you have specific resources I can look at for aiming, related directly to P3S and SE?

And yes, I agree that solving the root problem would be ideal, but I use my drone for work and I live in a country where official servicing is not an option.

Sadly, I'm running out of ideas as to how to solve the issue.

If I can "mask" the problem in a way that allows me to continue using the bird for my business, it's about as good as I'm gonna get, I think.
2018-9-3
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Aiming for the P3S is discussed by fellow pilots in this forum and on Phantompilots.com specifically.  You'll have to search for the threads.  Good luck.  
2018-9-4
Use props
idillicah
lvl.1
Paraguay

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-9-4 03:02
Aiming for the P3S is discussed by fellow pilots in this forum and on Phantompilots.com specifically.  You'll have to search for the threads.  Good luck.

I'll look into it. Thank you!
2018-9-4
Use props
idillicah
lvl.1
Paraguay

Peterx Posted at 2018-9-3 02:02

I've performed the Magic Power mod.

I've been able to get 300m distance, 100m height on my latest tests. That's a massive improvement over what it was.

I'm not 100% sure it's a dependable result as a later test yielded only 220m distance, but I'll keep looking into it during the week.

I'm also making a DIY Windsurfer to see if I can get a nice, clean, stable signal for around 250m. If I can do that, all my job needs are covered.
2018-9-4
Use props
Peterx
First Officer

Good to hear that your bird can do the job. 300 meters with Magic Power is a step forward.
2018-9-4
Use props
idillicah
lvl.1
Paraguay

Peterx Posted at 2018-9-4 20:56
Good to hear that your bird can do the job. 300 meters with Magic Power is a step forward.

It definitely is! Thank you all. I'll report once I get the Windsurfer going.
2018-9-5
Use props
Peterx
First Officer

If you make a DIY windsurfer can you post any pictures how you make it ?
2018-9-6
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Peterx Posted at 2018-9-6 01:55

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html
2018-9-6
Use props
idillicah
lvl.1
Paraguay

Peterx Posted at 2018-9-6 01:55

This is the tutorial and template I'm personally going to follow:

ANTENNA TEMPLATE.
2018-9-6
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

I never liked TTT's smaller template.  Although it may add some range, it appears he dumbed down the size so that two deflectors could be fitted on a dual antenna controller.  That's great, but as you can see in the vid photo, both the top and the bottom of the antenna are sticking out of the top and bottom of the deflector.  Erskine never intended for that to happen.  If you look at Erskine's photos, you can see the antenna fits within the deflector - it does not stick out of the top and bottom.  And since the P3S only has a single stick antenna anyway, I cannot imagine why one would deliberately choose a smaller deflector which doesn't seem to fit correctly and contradicts the original design.

Good luck
2018-9-6
Use props
idillicah
lvl.1
Paraguay

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-9-6 11:39
I never liked TTT's smaller template.  Although it may add some range, it appears he dumbed down the size so that two deflectors could be fitted on a dual antenna controller.  That's great, but as you can see in the vid photo, both the top and the bottom of the antenna are sticking out of the top and bottom of the deflector.  Erskine never intended for that to happen.  If you look at Erskine's photos, you can see the antenna fits within the deflector - it does not stick out of the top and bottom.  And since the P3S only has a single stick antenna anyway, I cannot imagine why one would deliberately choose a smaller deflector which doesn't seem to fit correctly and contradicts the original design.

Good luck

I think it's because the P3S antenna is a different design from the others'. It's not a P3 4k/Pro antenna, just a single one. The design is different, and it's actually shorter than other antennas in the P3 range.

I chose this design precisely because I knew it was smaller. If it turns out to be too small, I'll try another design. But I know that a design that is for other drones in the P3 range will be too big for a P3S controller.
2018-9-6
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

idillicah Posted at 2018-9-6 11:50
I think it's because the P3S antenna is a different design from the others'. It's not a P3 4k/Pro antenna, just a single one. The design is different, and it's actually shorter than other antennas in the P3 range.

I chose this design precisely because I knew it was smaller. If it turns out to be too small, I'll try another design. But I know that a design that is for other drones in the P3 range will be too big for a P3S controller.

Sorry, but I don't think you understand what you're saying.

TTT's video was posted before the P3S was released by DJI and also before the P3 4K was released by DJI.  So your comment doesn't make any sense.

But that's okay, because the deflector, at least Erskine's deflector, will work for 5.8 as well as 2.4 without having to move the focal point.  I confirmed this a couple years ago when I was in emails with Mike Erskine.  Whether TTT's dumbed down version would work, I think it would.  But that doesn't change the fact that it is definitely a dumbed down version.  You will be sacrificing signal strength using TTT's template.  That might be okay if you had no choice and you were using a dual antenna controller, but you're not.  And since you're not, it doesn't make any sense to use the smaller deflector.  TTT's template is for a dual antenna controller.  It is not for a single stick antenna controller.  

If you see Erskine's comment, he writes:  If printed at the download size you will see about 9 dBi of gain.  If you double the size of the image before you print it you will see about 12 dBi of gain.

But you're not choosing either of his suggested options.  You're going the other way and making it smaller, and you're doing it without reason.

But hey, it's your system.  You can do anything you want.  

Good luck
2018-9-6
Use props
idillicah
lvl.1
Paraguay

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-9-6 12:31

TTT's video was posted before the P3S was released by DJI and also before the P3 4K was released by DJI.  So your comment doesn't make any sense.

Thanks for the heads up about the timeline! I did not know that. I think my comment did make sense, though. It was just wrong ;)

I wasn't wrong about the antenna size on the P3S being smaller, though. I wasn't talking about frequency, but about physical size. The single antenna on the P3S is physically smaller than those on the other P3 drones.

Is that not right?
EDIT: it IS right. The antenna on my P3S is only 3.25 inches (8cm) long. I just checked. So a larger reflector would not fit on it. Hence why I chose the smaller one.
2018-9-6
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

idillicah Posted at 2018-9-6 12:34
Thanks for the heads up about the timeline! I did not know that. I think my comment did make sense, though. It was just wrong ;)

I wasn't wrong about the antenna size on the P3S being smaller, though. I wasn't talking about frequency, but about physical size. The single antenna on the P3S is physically smaller than those on the other P3 drones.

I believe you are right, the 5.8 should be smaller than the 2.4.  
2018-9-6
Use props
idillicah
lvl.1
Paraguay

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-9-6 12:31

EDIT 2: What do you mean "You're doing it without reason"? The reflector on the page you sent is 6 inches, my antenna is 3.25 inches tall.

I physically couldn't fit the one you sent even if I wanted to.

I'm a bit puzzled by your comments, I must admit.
2018-9-6
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

idillicah Posted at 2018-9-6 12:40
EDIT 2: What do you mean "You're doing it without reason"? The reflector on the page you sent is 6 inches, my antenna is 3.25 inches tall.

I physically couldn't fit the one you sent even if I wanted to.

I am pretty sure Erskine's deflector will fit onto your controller as he has it shown because it fits onto the P2 series controllers, and the P3S is just like it.  If you look on the antenna, you should see a little line in the plastic which indicates where the bottom of the antenna is located.  The bottom of the deflector should be at least even with that line.  It doesn't have to go all the way down to the bottom of the plastic.  It just has to reach that line.  

https://images-na.ssl-images-ama ... F%2BUL._SL1500_.jpg

The radio signal's energy moves up and down the antenna between the line at the bottom and the double-line at the top.  That is what creates the omni-directional radio waves that move through the air.  Therefore, the deflector should be behind that area of the antenna.  
2018-9-6
Use props
idillicah
lvl.1
Paraguay

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-9-6 12:55
I am pretty sure Erskine's deflector will fit onto your controller as he has it shown because it fits onto the P2 series controllers, and the P3S is just like it.  If you look on the antenna, you should see a little line in the plastic which indicates where the bottom of the antenna is located.  The bottom of the deflector should be at least even with that line.  It doesn't have to go all the way down to the bottom of the plastic.  It just has to reach that line.

I'll do my best to print both and check for best fit. Sadly I don't own a printer so that's why I'm being delayed a bit.

I'll report back once I've got stuff printed out.
2018-9-6
Use props
idillicah
lvl.1
Paraguay

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-9-6 12:55
I am pretty sure Erskine's deflector will fit onto your controller as he has it shown because it fits onto the P2 series controllers, and the P3S is just like it.  If you look on the antenna, you should see a little line in the plastic which indicates where the bottom of the antenna is located.  The bottom of the deflector should be at least even with that line.  It doesn't have to go all the way down to the bottom of the plastic.  It just has to reach that line.  

https://images-na.ssl-images-ama ... F%2BUL._SL1500_.jpg

I guess the joke is on us both!

I was getting stuff ready to go to the printer's, and this is a 1:1 size comparison between the two designs, as they are, when they are directly imported for printing, without any resizing:

2018-9-6
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

I don't get those results.  With mine, Erskine's template takes up the entire page from edge to edge.  TTT's template takes up less than the entire page.  
2018-9-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules