Amateur M2P Review
2151 19 2018-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RickC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

I've owned 4 different Mavic Pro's, a Phantom 4 Advanced, and now I’m on day 2 of using my Mavic 2 pro.

I have seen a few bad posts and we have all seen the drama people spread over the other singular glue issue.

Since i haven’t had a huge chance to play with photos and videos since I’ve been focused on the drone itself. This will mostly be about the drone itself.

I just wanted to say that so far DJI has hit it out of the ballpark with the Mavic 2 Pro. I am far from a quad expert or photographer but so far i am very impressed. There seems to be a lot of M2P haters on some groups and I don’t get it at all.

The build quality has a much different feel to my Mavic Pro. They both feel solid but the M2P just feels more solid if that makes sense. I can’t compare it to the Mavic Air since I have never had one.

The gimbal feels like you can man handle it without it breaking which is nice when it comes to putting on the annoying gimbal cover/lock.

The legs don’t seem much different from the Mavic Pro 1 but the bottom feels more rounded.

All around I feel like while flying the M2P, it could take a beating if needed and still survive. You don’t get that feeling with many other non-race FPV quads.

It loads up much quicker and manages to find satellites way faster compared to my Mavic Pro and it just feels much more responsive.

I will not lie, I hated my P4A. I couldn’t get any range without signal interference warnings and it was just bulky and plastic feeling. I was afraid if i held it wrong it would crack the plastic on it. I ended up selling it. I always said that I would give anything to have the camera in a Mavic Pro body (1" sensor with 20mp). Well DJI did just that and then some. I feel like for right now, it’s the perfect drone. It’s hard to really say which camera produces better images. The P4A and the M2P both have about an equal amount of pros to them.

Don’t get me wrong. I have zero plans of getting rid of my Mavic Pro. It’s still an amazing drone that blows me away every time I use it. I love the Mavic Pro. And i do plan to get a Mavic Air eventually as well.

Now to some of the "bad" with the M2P.

The rear legs, when folding them up, rub against the body which I can tell after a while will start to leave its mark on the plastic. But where it’s at, it would be purely a cosmetic issue. So far i have no rub marks present though.

The gimbal clamp/holder is insanely annoying and I hate everything about it. I just really do not like it

I have not been able to calibrate the IMU at all. It stops on step 3 and just doesn’t proceed any further. One time i got it to step 5 on its side but it wouldn’t complete.

The controller battery seems to drain very fast. Last night I charged it to 100% and took it off the charger. Around 11am this morning it was down to 87%. My Mavic Pro controller has been off the charger for about 4 days and it was at 98%.

So far that has been it for the bad. Aside from the controller battery, the rest is pretty small in my opinion. I checked my gimbal and no signs of it being loose or that it would even come loose, no signs of overheating etc. I still plan to take it easy and not test the distance just yet. I want to give myself a few weeks with it just to make sure nothing does pop up.

The last 2 photos are from the same image. They are the photo cached to my phone and not the original off of the card. One is the full image and the other is me zooming in as far as my phone would let me and taking a screenshot.
2018-8-28
Use props
RickC
lvl.4

Sorry, the photos didnt load in my original post.
000_0332-01.jpeg
000_0327-01.jpeg
000_0317-01.jpeg
000_0314-01.jpeg
2018-8-28
Use props
RickC
lvl.4

And the last 3
Screenshot_20180827-175347_Gallery.jpg
FB_IMG_1535504763158.jpg
FB_IMG_1535504772867.jpg
2018-8-28
Use props
Ryan Olivas
lvl.4

United States

The last photo was blurry but I guess it's the zoomed version of the previous photo. Right?
2018-8-28
Use props
RickC
lvl.4

Sorry everyone! Thought I was being helpful by giving my early thoughts on everything.
2018-8-29
Use props
RickC
lvl.4

Ryan Olivas Posted at 2018-8-28 18:49
The last photo was blurry but I guess it's the zoomed version of the previous photo. Right?

Yeah, the last photo is the photo above it that I super zoomed in on just to see how much detail still showed in the building from that far away.
2018-8-29
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 81401 ft
United States

Thank you for your review!  I have to agree with your findings.  It's a hassle getting the gimbal cover back on.  Plus, when I first took it off, it left small marks on the camera body.  I'm also disliking how the rear legs rub up against the body when folding it up..

You can edit your first post and move it to the M2P sub-forum now.  I did this to all of my initial posts.
2018-8-29
Use props
JordanM
lvl.4
United States

2018-8-29
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

The good news is, it seems that most of the issues we are hearing about will probably be tweaked and fixed in the upcoming months. Naturally, those who wanted to be first in line, will probably miss out on the hardware improvements, but that kind of goes with the territory when not waiting a bit.  However, it does seem the MP2 is a solid upgrade and that's good news.
2018-8-29
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

RickC Posted at 2018-8-29 06:08
Sorry everyone! Thought I was being helpful by giving my early thoughts on everything.

Thank you very much for sharing your first impressions with us! To me it has high value to hear feedback from a normal user as I am myself. Thank you again!
2018-8-29
Use props
RickC
lvl.4

Fraggboy Posted at 2018-8-29 06:17
Thank you for your review!  I have to agree with your findings.  It's a hassle getting the gimbal cover back on.  Plus, when I first took it off, it left small marks on the camera body.  I'm also disliking how the rear legs rub up against the body when folding it up..

You can edit your first post and move it to the M2P sub-forum now.  I did this to all of my initial posts.

Thanks for the heads up, just changed over the sub category
2018-8-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thank you for having a feedback to our Mavic 2. Due to the compact structure of the Mavic 2, the gap between the aircraft's rear arms and aircraft's body is designed to relatively narrow, however, it's within the tolerance range and meets the quality requirement. Please feel free to use. I would advise checking the performance of the RC if the battery will drain too fast, please contact our support in any case that the RC is not working normally. Kindly let me know if you have further assistance. Thank you for the support.
2018-8-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

MrArcher Posted at 2018-8-29 06:28
The good news is, it seems that most of the issues we are hearing about will probably be tweaked and fixed in the upcoming months. Naturally, those who wanted to be first in line, will probably miss out on the hardware improvements, but that kind of goes with the territory when not waiting a bit.  However, it does seem the MP2 is a solid upgrade and that's good news.

Hi, Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Please let me know if you do have concerns as well for further help. Thank you for the support.
2018-8-29
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Rick C said -The controller battery seems to drain very fast. Last night I charged it to 100% and took it off the charger. Around 11am this morning it was down to 87%. My Mavic Pro controller has been off the charger for about 4 days and it was at 98%
Was the controller left on overnight ?   I think it is supposed to shut off after 5 minutes and I don't know if that needs to be enacted in settings ?
2018-8-29
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There is incorrect instruction photos in the Go 4 V4.3.0 for IMU calibration. See my post. Follow those instructions and the IMU will complete successfully. https://forum.dji.com/thread-164094-1-1.html
2018-8-29
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

https://forum.dji.com/thread-164094-1-1.html
2018-8-29
Use props
Thriller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 374337 ft
Italy

RickC Posted at 2018-8-29 06:08
Sorry everyone! Thought I was being helpful by giving my early thoughts on everything.

Thank you very much for your review. My MP2 is on its way and It will arrive on next Friday. I read so many negative comments and review that I was starting to think I made a mistake to buy it but your words give me a new hope
Thanks again
2018-8-29
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nice dude!

But I disagree with you on the gimball cover/lock.

Guys the gimbal cover is the easiest to take and put back as long as u know what r u doing. Also remember that it is a lock and a cover in one.

First u need to put the top portion swivel around the circle rotator of the camera and then make sure the camera is straight then lock the bottom portion and boom locked and covered.

2018-8-29
Use props
Hedsic
lvl.4

Just an update with the controller. I found and turned off the option to charge my phone. I went through 3 batteries yesterday and it only took my controller down to 95%
2018-9-2
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for your honest review.
2018-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now