Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Gimbal issue already ??
925 20 2018-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CoreyB10
Captain
Flight distance : 204803 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Saw this this morning and thought it maybe an idea to share it and maybe get a non-generic / scripted answer from any of the mods on here. Go on guys, ask the question as to why glue was used instead of allen screws or other seemingly better fixing method than glue -

2018-8-28
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi CoreyB10, thanks for reaching us. The industrial glue process used for the Mavic 2 is an established technology and is commonly used in the consumer electronics industry, as well as having been previously used in multiple DJI products (such as the Phantom 3 and for the Mavic Pro’s gimbal). The gluing process has passed comprehensive and rigorous testing to make sure it matches the high-quality standards that DJI sets to ensure we deliver a safe product that can be used with the utmost confidence.
For the case you reported, DJI has promptly investigated the reason for the accident and handled the issue appropriately. If you encounter similar problems, please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2018-8-29
Use props
Arnor
First Officer
Flight distance : 989009 ft
Belgium

Glue properly applied has a bond much stronger than screws and is much lighter. Car industry uses glue a lot.
2018-8-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 6342851 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Lots of dji Cameras are glued to gimbal.
2018-8-29
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 2993497 ft
United Kingdom

Can't see any issue using glue.  If its good enough for fighter and commercial jet wings its good enough for a consumer camera gimbal.
2018-8-29
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

The guy either received a lemon or he is not telling the whole story, he set it on the table and heard a thud? Sounds a little fishy to me.....
2018-8-29
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
Captain
Flight distance : 656955 ft
Australia

hmmmmm....     
2018-8-29
Use props
Lamplighter55
Captain
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Glue is better than screw. Easy to fix too.
2018-8-29
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3270079 ft
  • >>>
United States

As others have said, glue is often used in the manufacturing industry, especially in cars.  This is probably an isolated case of failure.  The world is quite a hysteria machine.
2018-8-29
Use props
CoreyB10
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-8-29 03:43
As others have said, glue is often used in the manufacturing industry, especially in cars.  This is probably an isolated case of failure.  The world is quite a hysteria machine.

Indeed it is. Especially in here. Only posted it initially to see what the organ grinder said.......Lots of engineering experts soon popped up. It’s obviously been found to be a possible weak spot but maybe only on a few. It’s happened and I’m sure DJI will sort it if found to be an issue.
2018-8-29
Use props
CoreyB10
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-8-29 00:40
Hi CoreyB10, thanks for reaching us. The industrial glue process used for the Mavic 2 is an established technology and is commonly used in the consumer electronics industry, as well as having been previously used in multiple DJI products (such as the Phantom 3 and for the Mavic Pro’s gimbal). The gluing process has passed comprehensive and rigorous testing to make sure it matches the high-quality standards that DJI sets to ensure we deliver a safe product that can be used with the utmost confidence.
For the case you reported, DJI has promptly investigated the reason for the accident and handled the issue appropriately. If you encounter similar problems, please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thanks Susan. I have a MA so no such issues. Just wondered what a mod or representative would say.
2018-8-29
Use props
Kingram
First Officer
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Or this may cause it , lol
https://au.news.yahoo.com/fedex- ... eway-063022963.html
2018-8-29
Use props
RickC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 478757 ft

Even a Hasselblad H6D-400C uses glue to hold certain pieces together as does a Leica M10. Using glue doesn't make it any less of a product. That piece is actually a rotating part of the gimbal that could not be screwed on. If you look at any top of the line FPV race drone, RC Helicopter, RC plane or top of the line RC Cars even they all have parts held with glue. Glue was made to be an adhesive that holds 2 things together. I think the only problem would be if DJI was using Elmers glue or the wrong kind of glue.  

I'm not sure why it seems so many people are so upset over the use of glue since that is the intended purpose of glue in the first place. In this case it appears there was a defect that occurred. I can assure you I have wiggled and poked at mine and it's on there very solid. Plus it's a rotated piece that rotates at that point so adding screws would cause to much pressure and possible stress points in the plastic at the screw points.

So far it appears to have been an issue one 1 single Mavic 2 Pro so I don't think it's even big enough to call a problem at this point.
2018-8-29
Use props
CoreyB10
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RickC Posted at 2018-8-29 07:57
Even a Hasselblad H6D-400C uses glue to hold certain pieces together as does a Leica M10. Using glue doesn't make it any less of a product. That piece is actually a rotating part of the gimbal that could not be screwed on. If you look at any top of the line FPV race drone, RC Helicopter, RC plane or top of the line RC Cars even they all have parts held with glue. Glue was made to be an adhesive that holds 2 things together. I think the only problem would be if DJI was using Elmers glue or the wrong kind of glue.  

I'm not sure why it seems so many people are so upset over the use of glue since that is the intended purpose of glue in the first place. In this case it appears there was a defect that occurred. I can assure you I have wiggled and poked at mine and it's on there very solid. Plus it's a rotated piece that rotates at that point so adding screws would cause to much pressure and possible stress points in the plastic at the screw points.

OMG. Wish I had never bothered. Let’s just end this as.........It’s a one off defect, I get it.
2018-8-29
Use props
CoreyB10
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Last comment on this post to end it. Happy ending for all and good for DJI for responding - End of story.

2018-8-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-8-29 22:08
Last comment on this post to end it. Happy ending for all and good for DJI for responding - End of story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= ... s_3NN3vkgnMIOg&t=0s

If there is anything else we can help, feel free to contact us. Wish you have a good time!
2018-8-31
Use props
Mark_One
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78077 ft
South Africa

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-8-29 02:45
The guy either received a lemon or he is not telling the whole story, he set it on the table and heard a thud? Sounds a little fishy to me.....

Inconspicuous indeed
2018-8-31
Use props
CoreyB10
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Someone opened a duplicate post about the reply from DJI. Obviously didn't read this post at all. Oh well. resolved now so end of story.
2018-8-31
Use props
CoreyB10
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-8-31 02:50
If there is anything else we can help, feel free to contact us. Wish you have a good time!

All good thanks Susan. Just wanted to see what the outcome would be. Obviously the owner of said MP2 has gone down his own route to resolve this. Seems to be a few hickups with the new release. Soon enough it will probably take over from the old work horse that is the 1st MP. Big boots to fill but good to see the line moving forward. The better camera was a sure thing to improve and the results from vids and stills look good so far. Not pulling the trigger yet as my MA still has to get some good air miles before another drone comes to my hanger.
2018-8-31
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-8-31 02:59
All good thanks Susan. Just wanted to see what the outcome would be. Obviously the owner of said MP2 has gone down his own route to resolve this. Seems to be a few hickups with the new release. Soon enough it will probably take over from the old work horse that is the 1st MP. Big boots to fill but good to see the line moving forward. The better camera was a sure thing to improve and the results from vids and stills look good so far. Not pulling the trigger yet as my MA still has to get some good air miles before another drone comes to my hanger.

Alright, time reveals the truth. Wish you have a good time.
2018-9-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-29 02:23
Can't see any issue using glue.  If its good enough for fighter and commercial jet wings its good enough for a consumer camera gimbal.

^^ That ^^
2018-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules