Widespread New Issue on Android Preventing RC Connection with Phones
4965 19 2018-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_useAQR0LqmBy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi

Posted on here a couple of days ago asking for some help as after 3 months of lying my Mavic Air without issue, I now can’t connect my phone to the RC to fly the drone.

The RC isn’t recognised by the phone, so in DJI Go 4 the app thinks the RC isn’t plugged in and turned on, when it is.

I have tried USB Debug mode (and all the options within it), new cables (x2), using the other USB port on the RC, reinstalling the app, using an older version of the app, updating drone firmware etc and nothing has worked.

In trying to find the solution, I’ve come across LOTS of people who have developed the exact same issue, many in the last couple of weeks.

Something has happened, DJI just say ‘get a new phone’, but there must be a wider issue and easier fix available?

Below are a few of the posts in various forums and FB groups of people having the same issues.

This must be affecting thousands of users, please sort it out DJI!

Screenshot_20180823-071814.png
2018-8-29
Use props
Mark_One
lvl.3
Flight distance : 112123 ft
South Africa

Also had a connection issue not to long ago where the RC would disconnect immediately after takeoff only to reconnect instantly after landing. It had been working perfectly before the v4.3.0 app update, I got the usual generic response of how to manually link the RC(which I was aware of and tried) or maybe it's your device, Eventually I went back to a previous app version and viola problem solved.  
2018-8-29
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

You havent mentioned what model phone you were trying to use
2018-8-29
Use props
djiuser_useAQR0LqmBy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-8-29 02:30
You havent mentioned what model phone you were trying to use

I'm HTC U11. Identical problems on various Samsungs, LGs, Google Pixels and others.

The unifying theme is that they all worked fine and then all stopped overnight with no obvious reason like a firmware update or operating system update.

I didn't mention that in the original post as as soon as you do DJI say 'Buy a new phone'.
2018-8-29
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Australia

Thats dji answer to most incompatibility issues
2018-8-29
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Australia

Have you tried this sequence...
1 turn on drone wait for it to start up
2 before pluging in phone to the remote turn on remote wait for it to connect to the drone.
3 before pluging phone in goto developer options and set usb configuration to rndis.
4 now plug in phone to rc and see what happens if still wont work recheck usb config again and reset to rndis.
2018-8-29
Use props
djiuser_useAQR0LqmBy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-8-29 02:52
Have you tried this sequence...
1 turn on drone wait for it to start up
2 before pluging in phone to the remote turn on remote wait for it to connect to the drone.

Yes, and have tried this process with all the different USB modes too.
2018-8-29
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Australia

djiuser_useAQR0LqmBy Posted at 2018-8-29 02:53
Yes, and have tried this process with all the different USB modes too.

So you did it in that exact sequence? If so then im at a loss
2018-8-29
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Australia

Have you tried downgrading to an earlier version of the app?
2018-8-29
Use props
djiuser_useAQR0LqmBy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-8-29 02:56
Have you tried downgrading to an earlier version of the app?

Yep, went back to a version from June 18. I don't think the issue is with the app. Whether the app is even installed or not, I get the "Slow Charging" notification when plugging into the RC. This manifests differently on different handsets, but basically means the RC > Phone connection isn't right.
2018-8-29
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Australia

If you have tried different devices then you may have a faulty port in the rc were you plug in the usb cable
2018-8-29
Use props
djiuser_useAQR0LqmBy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-8-29 03:14
If you have tried different devices then you may have a faulty port in the rc were you plug in the usb cable

Would seem weird that so many people develop a faulty port overnight in the RC though, wouldn't it?

Also works fine on my iPad, it's just a specific Android issue.
2018-8-29
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Australia

Android and dji dont seem to mix very well anymore
2018-8-29
Use props
nwandler
New
Flight distance : 7835 ft
United States

I had this same issue with my Pixel 2 XL. Here's how I got it to work.

Open the Settings app.
(Only on Android 8.0 or higher) Select System.
Scroll to the bottom and select About phone.
Scroll to the bottom and tap Build number 7 times.
Return to the previous screen to find Developer options near the bottom.
Go back to developer options
Scroll down and select Default USB Configuration
Change the setting to USB Tethering

Turn on your drone, then controller.
After it connects connect your phone to the controller and hopefully it will connect for you.

Hope this helps.
2018-8-29
Use props
nwandler
New
Flight distance : 7835 ft
United States

^^^^Well that must have been a fluke thing because I just tried to get my phone to connect again it no longer will.
2018-8-29
Use props
djiuser_useAQR0LqmBy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ha. Yep just re-tried that exact process one more time, still nothing.
2018-8-29
Use props
djiuser_useAQR0LqmBy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Just received a brand new replacement Mavic Air...same issue.

Based on the number of people on here and the Mavic Air FB forum, there is a wider issue.

Need to work out if it's worth waiting for DJI to fix it or just buy a new device.
2018-9-3
Use props
Ken Storm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178583 ft
United Kingdom

May be they have had <cough> a big purchase of drones from <cough> Apple?
2018-9-4
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

Mark_One Posted at 2018-8-29 02:03
Also had a connection issue not to long ago where the RC would disconnect immediately after takeoff only to reconnect instantly after landing. It had been working perfectly before the v4.3.0 app update, I got the usual generic response of how to manually link the RC(which I was aware of and tried) or maybe it's your device, Eventually I went back to a previous app version and viola problem solved.

Hi mate,

How do I go back to a previous version of software for my MA controller ? Was working just fine until I update a few days ago...
2018-10-11
Use props
MM34
lvl.1
United States

Has anyone found a solution to this? My wife and I both have Pixel 2XLs... her phone works, but mine doesn't. Both on the same version of android.
2019-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules