Firmware update, keep it or not?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jon.hopkins.1
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I've asked this before but i'm still uncertain as both the firmware .pdf's nor the manual mention either the imporantce of keeping the file or for you to remove it afterwards.

Once you have installed the most up to date firmware, can you get rid of the bin file?

Quite often, when i start up the P3 i regulalry see messages such as 'Software update required' or 'Camera upgrade required' now these messages don't hang around and without fail i am 'ready to fly' after the IMU warms up with the message 'firmware up to date' showing

I'll have the same text file constantly generated:

========== 2015.05.24 23:43:23 =====================
Packet: P3S_FW_V01.01.0009.bin
Result: Abort.
The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the aircraft.

========== 2015.05.26 20:27:25 =====================
The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the aircraft.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:13 unsynchronized ======

========== 2015.05.28 19:44:40 =====================

Does anyone have a definitive answer? Should it not bother me, because it does!

Jon

2015-5-28
Use props
mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

If your all updated no need to keep it as long as your batteries, p3 and controller are updated..  If you buy a new battery it will need to be there so the battery can update..  But it's only 100mb so personally I just keep it on there then if I get a new battery I can just put it in and go without copying the firmware back on the sd bcard. But if that 100 mb out of a 64gb card is important to you and everything is up to date then feel free to remove it, just save the files on your pc so you can copy everything back to the sd cards root directory if you buy a new battery
2015-5-28
Use props
digitaldave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 752917 ft
United States

mark97564@gmail Posted at 2015-5-29 04:46
If your all updated no need to keep it as long as your batteries, p3 and controller are updated..  I ...

By the time batteries start shipping there will be 5 new firmware updates lol. Jk Jk!
2015-5-28
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

Once installed on all the devices, the .bin has no further use unless you want to keep it in the event you need to current version for some reason.  Generally, there is no reason once installed.

However, if you do decide to keep it, move it from the card to a computer or in most cases, once it's seen in the root, it will try to extract/install.
2015-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules