USS Ling - WW2 Submarine
901 14 2018-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Duke56
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1761844 ft
United States

WW2 Submarine docked on the Hackensack River in Hackensack, NJ.  Was used as a museum until Superstorm Sandy destroyed her dock.  She has been left in disrepair ever since.  About 3 weeks after I shot this video vandals gained entry into the sub and opened her underwater hatches and flooded the sub.  It did not sink as it's docked in shallow water.

My first attempt at editing my Spark footage so forgive the crudeness of the edit.  I'll get better with practice.  Video settings are all on default settings and no filter used.  

Let me know what you think.

2018-8-29
Use props
Sidd Finch
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256 ft
United States

Wow what a cool video. Nice to see before the damage. The vandals made the local news and they showed it half sunk.

Sidd
2018-8-29
Use props
Northwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Hi Eddie!  Amazing old piece of history (my grand kids call me that! ha ha) and what a shame that people would mess with it.  From a video perspective, my suggestion would be to think about your shots in advance, and avoid any sudden movements, yawing, try to keep it slow.. Tripod mode would be great for this type of subject matter.  I like your sideways shots, but best to go as slow as you possibly can, then if you need to speed up in editing, you can.  Noticed too that you did not capture much from the shore side view....  

Thanks for sharing.
2018-8-29
Use props
dj_dread
Second Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

good subject for the video! it turned out nice!
2018-8-29
Use props
Duke56
lvl.4
United States

Northwood Posted at 2018-8-29 11:30
Hi Eddie!  Amazing old piece of history (my grand kids call me that! ha ha) and what a shame that people would mess with it.  From a video perspective, my suggestion would be to think about your shots in advance, and avoid any sudden movements, yawing, try to keep it slow.. Tripod mode would be great for this type of subject matter.  I like your sideways shots, but best to go as slow as you possibly can, then if you need to speed up in editing, you can.  Noticed too that you did not capture much from the shore side view....  

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the comments.  Shore side would have been dangerous as there were wires and lines from shore to the sub.  You might be able to see them in the overhead portion of the video.  I was flying blind as I could not get close enough to the sub to guide my Spark,  Was relying on the camera feed so was overly cautious.  One mistake and I could have dropped my Spark into the river.  
2018-8-29
Use props
Northwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Duke56 Posted at 2018-8-29 11:38
Thanks for the comments.  Shore side would have been dangerous as there were wires and lines from shore to the sub.  You might be able to see them in the overhead portion of the video.  I was flying blind as I could not get close enough to the sub to guide my Spark,  Was relying on the camera feed so was overly cautious.  One mistake and I could have dropped my Spark into the river.

Wise to be cautious...  I am not ready to fly over water... Just dont want to have that sinking feeling, unlike submarines!
2018-8-29
Use props
djiuser_Doq1kqcWRsvT
lvl.3
Flight distance : 32769 ft
United States

Wow, that sub was just in our news cast. The bunch from the USS Batfish said they want to bring her down here , and restore her back to a museum.
2018-8-29
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 944308 ft
Australia

Nice Video Thanks for sharing    Pretty sure that Sub needs a new Paint job..
2018-8-29
Use props
mhw#209
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96319 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing!!
2018-8-29
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very cool vid   
2018-10-1
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Nice video , thanks for sharing, do I see there a landing platform on the deck
2018-10-2
Use props
Flighty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Austria

Lovely video and a great subject..
2018-10-2
Use props
Duke56
lvl.4
United States

Jos A Posted at 10-2 04:49
Nice video , thanks for sharing, do I see there a landing platform on the deck

Yeah, it does look like a landing platform.  That was actually attached to the wooden ramp that allowed people to board the sub and take a tour of the inside.  It was destroyed during Super Storm Sandy and never repaired.  Hasn't been used as a museum since.
2018-11-13
Use props
MavSpa_user
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

So give it a try
2018-11-13
Use props
FulanitoFlyer
lvl.3
Chile

Duke56 Posted at 8-29 11:38
Thanks for the comments.  Shore side would have been dangerous as there were wires and lines from shore to the sub.  You might be able to see them in the overhead portion of the video.  I was flying blind as I could not get close enough to the sub to guide my Spark,  Was relying on the camera feed so was overly cautious.  One mistake and I could have dropped my Spark into the river.

Nice video, a little jerky in places (same thing happens to me) I think if you turn the gimble sensitivity down to about 3 it will get smoother.

avoid yaw shots unless in tripod mode its only a 2 axis gimbal.

put some music on in the background.

thanks for sharing!
2018-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules