iphone or Tablet or Both?! for Mavic 2 Pro
6055 17 2018-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
orbitrob
lvl.2
Canada

Continuing with my research to find the best phone or tablet with my new Mavic 2 Pro. (after finding my Google Pixel won't work *sniff*)

Some questions:
1. I'm looking to buy an Apple device and i'm deciding between a phone and and iPad mini4. This is based on reading how many people seem to prefer Apple over Android for use with DJI AND based on the high numbers who have voted for the mini4 here:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/best-tabletsphones-for-dji-go.18
A PRO of an iphone is that it fits nicely between the controller handles.
The PRO of an iPad mini4 is that it has more sreen real estate, but it also looks like it puts one's hands in kind of an awkward position (hard to reach the 'sticks') the way it spreads the controller handles.

Can anyone tell me their personal preference - phone or ipad?

2.  Then of course there are mounts which have the iPad sitting on top of the controller. Like this one:
https://freewellgear.com/dji-mavic-air-filters-and-accessories/263-dji-mavic-air-tablet-mount-lite.html?ref=1837

I like they way this mount allows one to keep their hands closer together....but it also appears that these kind of mounts cover the controller screen?! Isn't it kind of important to be able to read the info on the controller itself? Or does this info also appear on the tablet screen?

Any help or thoughts are appreciated!!
Rob

2018-8-29
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

https://forum.dji.com/thread-163811-1-1.html
2018-8-29
Use props
orbitrob
lvl.2
Canada

Thanks Kingram, but i have a simple Pixel....not a Pixel 2 XL.

2018-8-29
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 81401 ft
United States

I use my iPad mini for my M2P and my CS for my OSMO.   I have a mount like the one you listed and it works great.  It does cover up the controller screen, but the same information is shown in the app also.   Your mount doesn’t make the controller arms too wide to handle.

I personally use my iPad to keep my phone free to take calls and no nagging emails/etc.  My iPad mini is my dedicated M2P device.   When I am not using my iPad mini I do surf the web and such.  I also turn on airplane mode when flying. Less interference. It gets turned on before during my flight checklist.  Check for updates, etc. then airplane mode goes on, open up the app and so on.
2018-8-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. I would suggest using Apple devices or iPhone to your Mavic 2 Pro since this will fit perfectly with your remote controller and it's more reliable to use. Thanks.
2018-8-29
Use props
fans34c91fb6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-8-29 15:45
Hi there, I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. I would suggest using Apple devices or iPhone to your Mavic 2 Pro since this will fit perfectly with your remote controller and it's more reliable to use. Thanks.

What about all the reported lag issues with the I Pad Mini 4?
2018-8-29
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
United States

I haven’t experienced any lag on my iPad mini.

I have everything turned off. In airplane mode, not saving images to the iPad and a few other items. I think a setting to turn off animation (I can’t recall this second)..
2018-8-29
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

I can only tell you about my limited experience. I use an iPhone 7 plus. The phone's processor does a great job. However the screen is quite dim for sunny days, and I find navigating the many screen prompts difficult. I will be looking for something better, but don't know what.
2018-8-29
Use props
flydav
lvl.3
Flight distance : 184226 ft
Italy

It seems like the iPhone is brighter than the iPad mini 4...why is this one the one to go for? Can somebody explain to me?
2018-8-30
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use iPad Pro 10.5 best device for any DJI quad imo...
2018-8-30
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans34c91fb6 Posted at 2018-8-29 16:35
What about all the reported lag issues with the I Pad Mini 4?

iPad 4 mini is becoming a little obsolete, it sucks but it doesn’t take long these days...
2018-8-30
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
United States

flydav Posted at 2018-8-30 00:10
It seems like the iPhone is brighter than the iPad mini 4...why is this one the one to go for? Can somebody explain to me?

Larger screen (for me anyways).  
2018-8-30
Use props
theothernt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 436171 ft
Ireland

I use an iPhone to control my Mavic but that is mainly for convenience. An iPad Mini would be cheaper plus you'd have more screen space.

Also, it's worth noting that the iPad Mini is due for an update and there will be an Apple event in September, so I would hold off many any decision of you can!
2018-8-30
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
United States

theothernt Posted at 2018-8-30 06:23
I use an iPhone to control my Mavic but that is mainly for convenience. An iPad Mini would be cheaper plus you'd have more screen space.

Also, it's worth noting that the iPad Mini is due for an update and there will be an Apple event in September, so I would hold off many any decision of you can!

I know!  I am hoping they come out with a mini 5!  I love the size.   Not too big, and not too small.  Just right..
2018-8-30
Use props
Exib
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Most of the time I use my iPhone X but occasionally I have used my ipad air 2 worked like a dream with my M1 lets hope it works as well with my M2
2018-8-30
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
United States

I've run into an issue using my iPhone X flying.  You will get interrupted by a phone call, text, email, etc (I have many times)..  That's why I prefer on having a dedicated controller screen, my iPad mini.  No distractions.
2018-8-30
Use props
orbitrob
lvl.2
Canada

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and tips. Much appreciated!! Rob and...

2018-8-30
Use props
flydav
lvl.3
Flight distance : 184226 ft
Italy

Fraggboy Posted at 2018-8-30 06:13
Larger screen (for me anyways).

Can the mini 4 screen larger screen compensate for excess brightness?
2018-9-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules