Go App video lag
1471 20 2018-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lensoflewis
lvl.1

Hi,

Everything has been working fine up until about 2 weeks ago. When viewing the live view on the app my video is very laggy, choppy, I can't really see what I'm recording.

I had 12 on my signal, everything seemed fine. I haven't done anything different. Just all of a sudden it started to get choppy. This is the second time it's happened in the last few weeks.

When playing the footage back on my computer, it's fine, no lag. But I would love to see what I'm recording on the live preview.

It makes me not want to fly at all, as I feel unsafe as I can't exactly see what I'm doing

Anybody got any fixes?
2018-8-29
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

You probably need a device with more processing power.
2018-8-29
Use props
lensoflewis
lvl.1

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-8-29 17:15
You probably need a device with more processing power.

I'm using an iphone 6s with the latest iOS
2018-8-29
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try these tips.
2018-8-29
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

It is definitely your viewing device.  I had the same problem and it nearly caused me to fly into the side of a hill before I realized what was going on.  Sometimes my device will do it and at other times it won't.  It depends on what all I have running on it.  From now on I always do a little camera wiggle every now and then to see if the drone responds immediately.  If it doesn't, I immediately go for altitude to sort things out.  Sometimes I have to reboot the device to clear it up.
2018-8-29
Use props
lensoflewis
lvl.1

Thank you! This could sound a little dumb. So please forgive me. If I turn on aeroplane mode whilst flying, will that stuff up the GPS signal?
2018-8-29
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

lensoflewis Posted at 2018-8-29 20:57
Thank you! This could sound a little dumb. So please forgive me. If I turn on aeroplane mode whilst flying, will that stuff up the GPS signal?

No. It's safe to turn it on/off at anytime.
2018-8-29
Use props
lensoflewis
lvl.1

msinger Posted at 2018-8-29 20:58
No. It's safe to turn it on/off at anytime.

Thank you very much for your help
2018-8-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The lag you are seeing is due to the transmission technique used to get the video signal back from the aircraft to the RC unit. It uses MPEG encoding, more or less the same as used for transmitting digital television broadcasts. You may notice if you have two TV receivers receiving digital broadcasts, one can be showing the same program several sseconds in front of the other set. So lag is quite normal, and the only way to reduce it (you cannot eliminate it completely) is to use a powerful display device.

When you say there is no lag when playing the footage back on your computer, compared to what?
2018-8-29
Use props
lensoflewis
lvl.1

Geebax Posted at 2018-8-29 22:04
The lag you are seeing is due to the transmission technique used to get the video signal back from the aircraft to the RC unit. It uses MPEG encoding, more or less the same as used for transmitting digital television broadcasts. You may notice if you have two TV receivers receiving digital broadcasts, one can be showing the same program several sseconds in front of the other set. So lag is quite normal, and the only way to reduce it (you cannot eliminate it completely) is to use a powerful display device.

When you say there is no lag when playing the footage back on your computer, compared to what?

So when I am recording and viewing on my phone (whilst flying the drone), the video playback is laggy, choppy, and sometimes I can barely make out what I am looking at, this making it very difficult to fly safely.

When I play the footage back on my computer, the footage looks fine, no choppy laggy and pixelated footage. But when looking at the live view, that's when the issues happen.

Trying to frame a shot, or record a particular scene proves difficult as I can't exactly see what I'm doing
2018-8-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

lensoflewis Posted at 2018-8-29 22:07
So when I am recording and viewing on my phone (whilst flying the drone), the video playback is laggy, choppy, and sometimes I can barely make out what I am looking at, this making it very difficult to fly safely.

When I play the footage back on my computer, the footage looks fine, no choppy laggy and pixelated footage. But when looking at the live view, that's when the issues happen.

There are two separate systems, one sends a high quality video stream straight to the micro SD card in the aircraft, it will not normally have any issues at all. A separate video stream is sent back fromn the aircraft at a reduced quality, and is subject to all manner of signal interruptions. As I said earlier, you need a top quality phone or tablet in order to reduce those transmission problems.
2018-8-29
Use props
lensoflewis
lvl.1

Geebax Posted at 2018-8-29 22:11
There are two separate systems, one sends a high quality video stream straight to the micro SD card in the aircraft, it will not normally have any issues at all. A separate video stream is sent back fromn the aircraft at a reduced quality, and is subject to all manner of signal interruptions. As I said earlier, you need a top quality phone or tablet in order to reduce those transmission problems.

Ahh okay. But why is this happening all of a sudden? A few months ago this was never an issue, and now all of a sudden, I can't view my live view footage due to the choppiness and pixelation. Is there anything I can do to improve this?
2018-8-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

lensoflewis Posted at 2018-8-29 22:13
Ahh okay. But why is this happening all of a sudden? A few months ago this was never an issue, and now all of a sudden, I can't view my live view footage due to the choppiness and pixelation. Is there anything I can do to improve this?

With each new release of the Go App by DJI, the app seems to require more and more resources to work properly. Phaones and tablets that used to work fine are no longer powerful enough. There are a few things you can do to help, shot of caching of the video signal on your phone, put it in airplane mode and shut down any apps that are left running and therefore consuming processor time.
2018-8-29
Use props
lensoflewis
lvl.1

Geebax Posted at 2018-8-29 22:17
With each new release of the Go App by DJI, the app seems to require more and more resources to work properly. Phaones and tablets that used to work fine are no longer powerful enough. There are a few things you can do to help, shot of caching of the video signal on your phone, put it in airplane mode and shut down any apps that are left running and therefore consuming processor time.

Okay, Ill give that a go! Thanks.

I've read multiple articles about putting the phone in aeroplane mode. Some are saying it does and some are saying it doesn't interfere with the GPS. Have you had any issues with it interrupting your signal mid flight?
2018-8-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

lensoflewis Posted at 2018-8-29 22:19
Okay, Ill give that a go! Thanks.

I've read multiple articles about putting the phone in aeroplane mode. Some are saying it does and some are saying it doesn't interfere with the GPS. Have you had any issues with it interrupting your signal mid flight?

GPS reception is not affected by putting the aircraft in airplane mode, no matter what people tell you, because it is a reception only system. The main reason to use airplane mode is to stop the WiFi system in the phone transmitting on the same band as the aircraft.
2018-8-29
Use props
lensoflewis
lvl.1

Geebax Posted at 2018-8-29 22:29
GPS reception is not affected by putting the aircraft in airplane mode, no matter what people tell you, because it is a reception only system. The main reason to use airplane mode is to stop the WiFi system in the phone transmitting on the same band as the aircraft.

Okay awesome. Thank you so much for your help
2018-8-29
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

msinger Posted at 2018-8-29 20:58
No. It's safe to turn it on/off at anytime.

Wait a minute, he is flying a Standard I thought. He needs the Wifi to connect. Airplane Mode will turn off the Wifi.  He would have to go back into the Settings and turn Wifi back on.  This is not necessary on other models with the cable connection. Right?
2018-8-30
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

djordan2 Posted at 2018-8-30 05:59
Wait a minute, he is flying a Standard I thought. He needs the Wifi to connect. Airplane Mode will turn off the Wifi.  He would have to go back into the Settings and turn Wifi back on.  This is not necessary on other models with the cable connection. Right?

Right, you can turn Wi-Fi on after enabling airplane mode.
2018-8-30
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft

djordan2 Posted at 2018-8-30 05:59
Wait a minute, he is flying a Standard I thought. He needs the Wifi to connect. Airplane Mode will turn off the Wifi.  He would have to go back into the Settings and turn Wifi back on.  This is not necessary on other models with the cable connection. Right?

On android yes,start that by hand but iOs no that WIFI starts automatically again and search for Phantoms WIFI directly.
2018-8-30
Use props
Rene Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

Remember the more apps is running on your phone the more power i takes and go app use  lot of resources to run thats why i use the litchi app and only use the go app when i need to calibrte the imu.and i have a huawei y5 i use only for flying because i dont want to use my private phone to fly.
2018-8-30
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft

If you done all airplane mode and it´s not better then you can disable the local video cache on the phone too so the system will not process the data from the copter twice. It saves processing power too.
2018-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules