Best screen for flying Mavic
3361 27 2018-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

Hey everyone, I know this topic has been beaten almost to death, but I still don't know what device to buy. Want to replace my iPhone 7 plus with somthing better. The iphone 7 plus is a little dim to fly with on bright days, so am mosly looking for something brighter and hopfully bigger. Thinking an iPad, but don't know if I'll be happy with that either. I've heard about some devices overheating with screens shutting down mid-flight on hot days. I also have a question about iPads/tablets that are non-cellular. I find it distracting trying to fly when someone calls or texts me, so I tried putting my phone into airplane mode, but then the data stream shuts down and the maps etc don't work. What do most people do who fly with non-cellular iPads/tablets for map data? I'd like to hear any opinions or ideas, and I'd really like somene to just tell me what to buy, and why.  
2018-8-29
Use props
coold
lvl.2

United States

I use an iPad Mini 4. You can download the maps via wi-fi prior to flying.
2018-8-29
Use props
GeeDee
lvl.3
Flight distance : 366257 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI crystalsky is the brightest and clearest device... 5.5 inch perfect fort mavic pro... but not (yet??) compatable with mavic 2
2018-8-29
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

coold Posted at 2018-8-29 22:10

I use an iPad mini too and am very satisfied with it, except for the missing offline map feature. Indeed you can cache the map on wifi, but do not accidently close the go 4 app or the cached map will be gone.
With bluetooth tethering I can use the cellular data from my phone to retrieve the maps, but it would we great if DJI brings back the offline map feature as in previous versions of the Go4 app.
2018-8-29
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Canada

GeeDee Posted at 2018-8-29 23:46
DJI crystalsky is the brightest and clearest device... 5.5 inch perfect fort mavic pro... but not (yet??) compatable with mavic 2

Thanks. I feel pretty stupid because I didn't know DJI made a device. I will check it out.
2018-8-29
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

IPad mini 4 fitted onto a mavmount and hoodman sunshade attached, exceptional in the harshest of sun light.
2018-8-30
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

coold Posted at 2018-8-29 22:10

2nded. Flown with the iPad mini for years and it's spot on. Screen ideally needs a screen as the reflection is bad but generally a good option if you have the cash.
2018-8-30
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TrevorSK Posted at 2018-8-29 23:57
Thanks. I feel pretty stupid because I didn't know DJI made a device. I will check it out.

Tis an expensive beast but cracking for the job.
2018-8-30
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Canada

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-8-30 01:15
Tis an expensive beast but cracking for the job.

Yeah, I'm going to spring for one of these Crystalsky screens. Not only will it make my drone flying more enjoyable, but will probably translate into better footage when I can really see what I'm doing. Now need to decide which one. I see there are 3 choices, a small one, and 2 choices of the large size.
2018-8-30
Use props
GABarber
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94190 ft
United States

I found a mint Ipad mini 4 with cellular for $200 on ebay - huge improvement over the 7 plus
2018-8-30
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Canada

GABarber Posted at 2018-8-30 16:32
I found a mint Ipad mini 4 with cellular for $200 on ebay - huge improvement over the 7 plus

I found a comparison review online that showed the iPhone 7 plus to have 550 nits of brightness, while the iPad mini 4 only had 450 nits. This could be bogus as the internet is full of inaccurate info. Let me know if you can find something contrary to 450 nits. I was on apples actual site and couldn't find any of their actual claims.
2018-8-30
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 81401 ft
United States

I have to comment that I love using my iPad mini.  Size is perfect. I have an anti-glare screen which helps.
2018-8-30
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

I use iPhone 8 and it’s bright enough to see on sunny day.
2018-8-30
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Dji is also coming out with a new controller for the Mavic 2 which will have a built in 5.5 inch high bright screen but they are keeping mum on it until it is officially announced .

# 9

2018-8-30
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Canada

Kingram Posted at 2018-8-30 20:20
Dji is also coming out with a new controller for the Mavic 2 which will have a built in 5.5 inch high bright screen but they are keeping mum on it until it is officially announced .

# 9

Very exciting. Thanx. Yes at 4:03 in the video he does spill the beans. They probably have a Mavic 2 Platinum in the the works and this could be the controller with it. DJI is good at marketing. What would be really cool for the people who already have the regular controller - Buy the upgrade, then have it capable for 2 controllers connecting to the aircraft at the same time. A co-pilot could control the camera while the other guy just flies the drone. Pretty sure that's available on the inspire. The possibilities are endless.
2018-8-30
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Canada

Fraggboy Posted at 2018-8-30 17:00
I have to comment that I love using my iPad mini.  Size is perfect. I have an anti-glare screen which helps.

Thanks for the great idea. I should probably get one of those as a temporary solution for my iPhone. You just mean a screen protector overlay with anti glare right? That's a whole new discussion - What's a good brand of anti-glare screen protector?
2018-8-30
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TrevorSK Posted at 2018-8-30 16:50
I found a comparison review online that showed the iPhone 7 plus to have 550 nits of brightness, while the iPad mini 4 only had 450 nits. This could be bogus as the internet is full of inaccurate info. Let me know if you can find something contrary to 450 nits. I was on apples actual site and couldn't find any of their actual claims.

It's the screen size really. You can see a whole lot more on the iPad than with the phone. It's much easier to line up shots and access menu's and settings etc, not to mention edit's on the fly. Never experienced the Crystalsky but have heard very positive reports from it.
2018-8-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

iPad Mini 4 is the perfect size for me
2018-8-31
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

chiplifter Posted at 2018-8-29 23:54
I use an iPad mini too and am very satisfied with it, except for the missing offline map feature. Indeed you can cache the map on wifi, but do not accidently close the go 4 app or the cached map will be gone.
With bluetooth tethering I can use the cellular data from my phone to retrieve the maps, but it would we great if DJI brings back the offline map feature as in previous versions of the Go4 app.

Howdy,

Forgive my newbie ignorance but what are the maps you are talking about and how or why do you use them ?
2018-8-31
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

Fraggboy Posted at 2018-8-30 17:00

Hi,

Is this a film or similar stuck over the screen ?
2018-8-31
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Netherlands

Atlas_Aus Posted at 2018-8-31 00:47
Howdy,

Forgive my newbie ignorance but what are the maps you are talking about and how or why do you use them ?

Previously it was possible to select a region/country in DJI go4 when wifi is available. The selected area will be availableand shown  when flying. Very convenient when on holiday and you don’t have cheap cellular data. For all the wrong reasons this feature has been removed about a year ago.
2018-8-31
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

chiplifter Posted at 2018-8-31 02:32
Previously it was possible to select a region/country in DJI go4 when wifi is available. The selected area will be availableand shown  when flying. Very convenient when on holiday and you don’t have cheap cellular data. For all the wrong reasons this feature has been removed about a year ago.

Howdy,

Thanks for the reply... I still don't understand how the maps come into it ?
2018-8-31
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

Howdy,

I just read this on the Ipad 4 mini

"Outdoor usability remains limited, however, especially in direct sunlight – and after even a few minutes of use the display is an absolute fingerprint magnet."
Read more at https://www.trustedreviews.com/r ... kB4xV46RxOOF2oU2.99
2018-8-31
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
United States

Atlas_Aus Posted at 2018-8-31 00:49
Hi,

Is this a film or similar stuck over the screen ?

It's a film that sticks to the screen.  It's not perfect, but does help quite a bit!  I chose the matte version (Fingerprint-free, which works) from here: https://smile.amazon.com/Tech-Ar ... ini+antiglare&psc=1
2018-8-31
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
United States

TrevorSK Posted at 2018-8-30 23:08
Thanks for the great idea. I should probably get one of those as a temporary solution for my iPhone. You just mean a screen protector overlay with anti glare right? That's a whole new discussion - What's a good brand of anti-glare screen protector?

Trevor, check the post above this one.  There are quite a few anti-glare (Matte finish) available.  I shared the link to the one I use.
2018-8-31
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Netherlands

Atlas_Aus Posted at 2018-8-31 03:03
Howdy,

Thanks for the reply... I still don't understand how the maps come into it ?

The map is visible on the bottom of the screen, but must be loaded realtime or cashed. Shut down wifi and cellular, start Go4 app see there is no map.
2018-8-31
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Canada

Fraggboy Posted at 2018-8-31 05:36
It's a film that sticks to the screen.  It's not perfect, but does help quite a bit!  I chose the matte version (Fingerprint-free, which works) from here: https://smile.amazon.com/Tech-Ar ... ini+antiglare&psc=1

Nice. Less than 10 bucks for a three pack. Think I'll get and then wait to see what they're coming up with for this built in screen.
2018-8-31
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

Hi All,
I end up buying A Samsung Note 8.. A lot more than I wanted to spend, but I have not had a note since 3 and miss it... Besides that it is quoted as 1200 Nits, the DJI one is 2000 nits.

Tried it today and once I get the settings sorted with screen Dim I reckon its a winner and 1/2 of what the DJI one was.

Was out in full sun today and soooo much better
2018-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules