Flying in the Brecon Beacons -Wales
8805 7 2018-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChrisJG
First Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>

In two weeks time, I shall be in the Brecon Beacons, hoping to take my Spark and get some flights over this wonderful, picturesque countryside...any tips / do's / dont's welcome. I'll of course observe the drone code and not fly more than 400ft above ground level.
Thanks,

Chris
2018-8-29
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

Hi Chris,

Acording to https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/flying-drones-at-our-places drone flying is not permitted there.

Too bad, I would have liked to see some footage of it!

Cheers,
Wolferl
2018-8-30
Use props
djiuser_uo9eH6T46TGB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 103419 ft
United Kingdom

Wolferl Posted at 2018-8-30 01:17
Hi Chris,

Acording to https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/flying-drones-at-our-places drone flying is not permitted there.

Hi, most of it is  MOD land....
2018-8-30
Use props
fans8ee1d7a2
New
United Kingdom

Hey guys, I have a question.

I am looking to get footage of the Brecon Beacons and understand they have certain policies in place about drones.

However I own the new DJI Mavic mini and is is under the CAA regulations of 250 grams so therefore my drone is classed as a toy!

Would these policies still apply for me?
2019-11-21
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans8ee1d7a2 Posted at 11-21 06:36

I am looking to get footage of the Brecon Beacons and understand they have certain policies in place about drones.

Not from any land owned by the National Trust, they state "All aerial activity above our sites is prohibited unless specific permission is granted, according to an existing byelaw." That said, they do not control the airspace, only their land from which you take off and land, so if you were to use a public footpath as close to their land and fly from there, I don't think they have any claim...Be careful as Military Aircraft fly in the Brecons, so use the NATS App to check the locations. I'd still abide by the drone code, so as not to cause hassles for other drone fliers...I never flew as the weather was too poor. Good luck.
2019-11-21
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans8ee1d7a2 Posted at 2019-11-21 06:36

Yes it does - other than not needing to register the drone the flight is regulated by the drone code irrespective of it's weight. Get caught flying the Mini over 400' AGL, beyond VLOS, near an airport, in any area where drones are banned and you will be treated in exactly the same way as if you were flying an Inspire.
2020-7-7
Use props
Kerri Powles
New

United Kingdom

I was tempted to buy a drone myself as I am lucky enough to live in the picturesque Brecon Beacons, however I decided against it as there are many low flying army exercises over and around the Brecon Beacons, and it could be potentially extremely dangerous to fly a drone even at the maximum 400 feet. Strict rules about flying them here anyway.
2023-9-4
Use props
djiuser_yzMfky6qyWi4
New

United Kingdom

Wolferl Posted at 2018-8-30 01:17
Hi Chris,

The NT are being disingenuous if they're telling you they own the Beacons.

The National Park Authority owns about 13.5% of the land within the National Park – this
amounts to approximately 19,000 hectares.
The land owned by other public bodies includes 7.7% by the Forestry Commission, 4.2% by Welsh Water, 3.7% by the National Trust and 0.8% by the Countryside Council for Wales.

Some 70% of the land within the Park is privately owned.

For disclosure, I am part of that last category
2023-10-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules