Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Summitlink Snap on Prop guards potential issue....
4578 12 2015-5-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Adamation
lvl.2

United States

Hey everyone I know this has been mentioned before but I just wanted to give my thoughts.

Recently purchased some Summitlink snap on prop guards for the P3 and even with the supplied screws travelling through the body of the guard theres still a good 3mm of length going up into the motor compared to the standard screws. Having removed the standard screws and taking a look under the motor there really is little room for any extra length, especially if the power wire happens the pass directly over one of the screw holes to the motor.

I would say anyone using these screws supplied is taking a huge risk, i for one will be either sourcing shorter screws or adding a washer, ive read on here someone did have an issue with one of their motors binding when they had the prop guards attached yet others seem to have no issues.

Any thoughts? - Adam
2015-5-28
Use props
kevinobaby.gmai
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3513835 ft
United States

Prop guards cause more problems than they solve. Don't use them unless you have to fly indoors or near people.
2015-5-28
Use props
jacmac64
lvl.3

United States

I have the same prop guards and didn't have any issues with the screws.

But I will say this thank god I had them. I hit a tree and tumbled down 6' or 7' to the ground. It landed right on the rear guards and both of them shattered into pieces. No other damage. I super glued the guards back together and I'm back in the air. I hit the tree while trying to land, the battery low and return to home was activated and flew right into the tree.

I will always use guards because accidents happen and I don't want to lose my copter.
2015-5-28
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

I'm using the Summitlinks on my P2 & P3 and I haven't had any issues with the screws or the function. I don't like that the screws are a different allen size than the originals but other than that no issue. I've always been cautious when installing them, listening and feeling for any issue as I snug them up. Then I turn the motors with my hand to insure there is no contact. I use mine on and off. I'm very grateful I had them on when my P2 dove into the ground. The prop guards, gimbal and camera guard saved my a$$ and my $$'s. I like to use them when it's windy as well. One tip-over can fry an ESC and/or motor and props. I've had 2 or 3 tip-overs on a couple hundred flights and in each case would have, at the very least, damaged the props if I hadn't had them on. There is a trade-off in performance though, much more agile and responsive with them off. To each his own, I guess.

Jerry
2015-5-28
Use props
periomao
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14295 ft
United States

I was concerned too but after taking measurements and opening up the arm there is a little cover over the coils and so there is a stop. I am using the prop guards now with no problems at all.
2015-5-28
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

If the screws are too long you can add some washers or file the screws.
2015-5-28
Use props
hchehab11
lvl.2
Flight distance : 96883 ft
  • >>>
Lebanon

Adam can you tell us what size screw come with the Summitlinks and would be a safe size to use.
2015-5-28
Use props
mirox3m
New

Bulgaria

Because of such issues I used AssemblyGuru's design and redesigned as 3D printed adapter for Phantom 2 prop guards. If you have a 3D printer around, you can test them: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:840846

2015-5-29
Use props
jon.jongodfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

jacmac64 Posted at 2015-5-29 07:23
I have the same prop guards and didn't have any issues with the screws.

But I will say this thank  ...

errrr... stop flying in to trees then.... ??? ;-)
2015-5-29
Use props
Adamation
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Update guys, I can confirm the provided screws with the summitlink propguards do infact effect the motors, luckily i realised after only one flight.

As a solution i tried grinding down the screws by a few mm, BAD IDEA as when i screwed one of the motors back on, small filings from the screws fell through and magnetized to the inside of the motor causing it to grind terribly when turned, I spent a good few hours cleaning that out panicking all the way.

Finally I did the right thing and ordered some 12mm long M3 allen screws, they fit like a dream and would recommend anyone with the same guards to do the same - Adam
2015-6-12
Use props
tommycbaker
lvl.3
United States

I just installed the exact same prop guards.  I'm hoping turns out good.  about to test.  but I have a question.  I see the string that it came with and was wondering what is the point?
2015-8-29
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

tommycbaker@swb Posted at 2015-8-29 10:56
I just installed the exact same prop guards.  I'm hoping turns out good.  about to test.  but I have ...

If you tie the string around all four of the guards, it makes the assembly tougher in the event of one of the guards striking something, plus if keeps anything from getting to the prop in the gap between the guards.
2015-8-29
Use props
cobbler
lvl.1

United States

I just installed these and the length of the screws supplied for the P3 were perfect. Simply put the screw through one of the brackets and use an original P3 screw to measure and the length of the new screws protruding out of the backside is exactly the same as the original P3 screw. Maybe they have made changes since the original post? I did notice the screws provided for the P1 and P2 are longer (2-3mm) so maybe there was a mixup there?

I have no issues.
2015-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules