Flight distance : 623366 ft
United States

I few one test mission.

Details:

• images in jpeg
  • used interval mode to take photos every 2 seconds
  • AGL about 110 feet
  • processed in photoscan, with rolling shutter fix enabled
  • manually flew, and did a poor job of coverage (none of the mapping apps support the bird as of yet)

Since the GPS altitude is wrong, I added a step to use the relative altitude.

No GCPs.

Results:

• photoscan calculated the "Total Error" in the "Camera" pane as 1.9 meters. As I understand things, that means the GPS coordinates among the images are relatively consistant. More consistant than my P4P missions, HOWEVER, flying via an app may induce a delay between the photo being tagged and the shutter actually exposing the sensor (more about this in a future post).
  • photoscan's "Calibration coefficients and correlation matrix" seems to suggest that the M2P's lens is slightly better than the P4P's. I'm not an expert, but most of errors are lower for the M2P.

The M2P could be my goto mapping drone. Smaller and quieter are a big deal. The battieries are also $50 cheaper!

Please encourge Map Pilot and GS Pro to implement support for the M2P!!!!

steve
2018-8-30
Use props
Adam9997
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2608901 ft
  • >>>
United States

I completely agree, been using MP with PIX4D and had very impressive results. With better camera and more stable flight, results will improve. Hopefully PIX4d will also deploy support for M2P
2018-8-30
Use props
nivong
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2267251 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It's not up to the developers to support it. It is up to DJI to enable support in their SDK for 3rd parties to use it...
2018-8-30
Use props
djiuser_6Q57jczySsAE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 623366 ft
United States

nivong Posted at 2018-8-30 05:03
It's not up to the developers to support it. It is up to DJI to enable support in their SDK for 3rd parties to use it...

Good point. Has DJI released the SDK for the M2P?
2018-8-30
Use props
RobWest
lvl.3
Flight distance : 589633 ft
France

djiuser_6Q57jczySsAE Posted at 2018-8-30 05:05
Good point. Has DJI released the SDK for the M2P?

Yes, I got an email with a link to the SDK while the product announcement was still live.
2018-8-30
Use props
BIGDZ
First Officer
Flight distance : 10255860 ft
  • >>>

Would the M2 be a good tool to use for mapping when it lacks a mechanical shutter like the P4 Pro or x4s
2018-8-30
Use props
wxfloyd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48809 ft
United States

I'm interested in this type of use as well on the M2P.  I'm about to buy a drone for personal use, but it would likely be used for a test-bed for mapping at my company.  The hope is that if the testing proves successful, then the company will purchase a more industrial platform, like a Matrice 200/210 with a good-quality photo camera and Flir thermal camera (for inspection use).  
I'm hoping Pix4D turns around a supported update quickly, especially if the SDK has already been released.  They've already said on a recent DroneU video that it shouldn't be any problem using the M2P, only that the flight might have to be a bit slower due to the electronic shutter.  
I was almost ready to pull the trigger on the Phantom 4 Pro v2, but I'm very paranoid about the stress cracks that seem to be a common issue on the P4's.  It also looks like DJI still hasn't resolved the left-yaw issue that seems to be a common problem on the P4P v2.  I understand there's still bugs to be worked out on the M2P, but hopefully they'll be resolved sooner than later.  
As I said before, I want a good drone for personal use that might also do a decent job at mapping.  The compactability and portability of the M2P is VERY appealing.  
2018-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules