Precision Takeoff!
12Next >
3802 42 2018-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
James3342
lvl.3
United States

Precision takeoff is not an option on the Mavic 2 - this was awesome on my Mavic Air - it would land within inches of where it took off from. With all the new sensors on the Mavic 2 Pro I don't see why they would have ommitted it.  If you lose connectivity and it returns to home and lands on its own, it could be the difference between landing on a pier or in the water, or falling off the edge of a cliff.

Can we get this added back in a firmware update?

2018-8-30
Use props
RickC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

I do not think there is a need for that option with the M2P. I think precision takeoff is more of a standard of what it does every time it takes off normally now. It now uses more sensors including the camera as a sensor as it's standard takeoff. I think it's more advanced than the precision takeoff offered in the Mavic Pro so there was just no need to make a separate check box for it.  That's just my guess anyway. I've only used the RTH twice to see how it worked and it landed perfectly from where it took off.
2018-8-30
Use props
James3342
lvl.3
United States

RickC Posted at 2018-8-30 05:54
I do not think there is a need for that option with the M2P. I think precision takeoff is more of a standard of what it does every time it takes off normally now. It now uses more sensors including the camera as a sensor as it's standard takeoff. I think it's more advanced than the precision takeoff offered in the Mavic Pro so there was just no need to make a separate check box for it.  That's just my guess anyway. I've only used the RTH twice to see how it worked and it landed perfectly from where it took off.

Mine misses the take off point by numerous feet - with the precision take off it was inches.  Probably not a huge deal if you are super careful where you take off from and make sure there are no lakes, rivers, cliffs, etc around.  I usually land mine manually anyway, but with the precision takeoff you could just hit the RTH and it would auto land exactly where it took off from.  So if for some reason you lost your connection to the drone and it returns on it's own, it'd be safer to have it land exactly where it took off from instead of the general vicinity.
2018-8-30
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. Precision Landing was removed in Mavic 2 Pro.
2018-8-30
Use props
IgOrdure
lvl.4
Flight distance : 620696 ft
France

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-8-30 07:22
Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. Precision Landing was removed in Mavic 2 Pro.

Hi Wanda, ok, but why ?
2018-8-30
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

IgOrdure Posted at 2018-8-30 07:26
Hi Wanda, ok, but why ?

That's we are not sure of, sir. I'm sorry.
2018-8-30
Use props
txtechnonerd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175075 ft
  • >>>
United States

Add my vote to the group that I think this is a "bad" idea...removing the Precision Landing option. I know I used it quite extensively on the MP as a failsafe in case I had an emergency RTH occur for some reason or another. Is this something that could be "re-introduced"?
2018-8-30
Use props
i_seb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 363501 ft
Italy

I understand that removing the Precision Landing doesn't have any sense, but I think it's always better to land the drone manually, I ALWAYS return the drone by myself i never use RTH, even if I know that in case of lost connection it will come back right to my feet (it's really good at it). I much prefer to trust my own flight ability instead of a computer. Just my two cents.
Still no sense to remove the function
2018-8-30
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Precision is a very useful backup.  As well as allowing automated landings (which can often be more accurate than a human unless they're really close) its a good failsafe for if the RC dies or cant connect for some reason.

Previously if the RC dies the drone will come back and land *exactly* where it left even if you couldnt connect to the drone again.  Under the new system it'll be somewhere in a 3-5m radius which could easily mean its going to crash into something.  The mavic is low to the ground - it doesnt need a huge obstacle to hit the prop or damage it.

I've had one incident on my MP1 where the RC lost connection and wouldnt reconnect at all despite restarting.  The drone came home and landed to within an inch.  IF that happens on the M2 chances are the drone will get to near the location then crash into an obstruction (a raised rock, a table, a tree branch, a power wire, a wall, even a sloping surface) as it lands.
2018-8-30
Use props
IgOrdure
lvl.4
Flight distance : 620696 ft
France

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-8-30 07:32
That's we are not sure of, sir. I'm sorry.

Okay, I guess that's an improvement, hopefully....
2018-8-30
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Can someone lucky enough to actually have a drone yet test this?

Im not convinced it might not just be "always on" now instead of a specific function.

If someone can do a test, all sensors and APAS on, take off, climb slowly without turning or moving to 30ft, then fly off and use RTH and see where it lands.
If it lands within a few inches, its using precision.  If its off by 5-10ft clearly its not.
2018-8-30
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

James3342 Posted at 2018-8-30 06:40
Mine misses the take off point by numerous feet - with the precision take off it was inches.  Probably not a huge deal if you are super careful where you take off from and make sure there are no lakes, rivers, cliffs, etc around.  I usually land mine manually anyway, but with the precision takeoff you could just hit the RTH and it would auto land exactly where it took off from.  So if for some reason you lost your connection to the drone and it returns on it's own, it'd be safer to have it land exactly where it took off from instead of the general vicinity.

Do you ascend vertically until about 8 metres height before moving horizontally? That is the normal requirement for the sensors to register the precise landing spot. Might be worth to try again.
Apart of that I am convinced that nothing has been removed in terms of precision but that it is simply the standard now. DJI has certainly not made a new and more expensive product worse than the previous one while having the technology at hand and well tested.
2018-8-30
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

That's my thought too - remove a useful feature that even the Spark has even though the drone has the sensors required (and a new LED to help it!).  I suspect it might just be now default behaviour and the *option* to do it was removed.

If not, they've made a fairly crazy decision.
2018-8-30
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>

It was a party trick on the MP which I tested a couple of times. Other than that always flew it, it’s why I got it after all.

When I got the Air I did some real life RTH tests as I think it’s important to see how these things actually work compared to the manual.

Tomorrow I intend to do a similar test of the Pro 2 to see how it performs when things fail. In a big open space!

I suspect that it will return to the take off point and land if the controller is disconnected. Watch this space!
2018-8-30
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Buzzyone Posted at 2018-8-30 09:00
It was a party trick on the MP which I tested a couple of times. Other than that always flew it, it’s why I got it after all.

When I got the Air I did some real life RTH tests as I think it’s important to see how these things actually work compared to the manual.

Yes.  To within the accuracy of GPS which is 3-5 metres.  As opposed to inches.

In lots of areas there are plenty of things to crash into within a 5m radius.

Its a lot more than a party trick, if nothing else its a very handy failsafe in case of RC or connection failure.
2018-8-30
Use props
Mavic57pro2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's weird, haven't tried yet, so RTH now is somewhere nearby. Ouch !
2018-8-30
Use props
Alex Batalov
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-30 08:27
That's my thought too - remove a useful feature that even the Spark has even though the drone has the sensors required (and a new LED to help it!).  I suspect it might just be now default behaviour and the *option* to do it was removed.

If not, they've made a fairly crazy decision.

The spark doesn't have precision landing.
2018-8-30
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Alex Batalov Posted at 2018-8-30 16:02
The spark doesn't have precision landing.

It does according to the user manual (page 16).  And some youtube videos showing it.
Capture.PNG
2018-8-30
Use props
Alex Batalov
lvl.4

Spain

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-30 16:08
It does according to the user manual (page 16).  And some youtube videos showing it.

Well I have a spark and I tell you that there is no option at all for precision landing in sparks options.
So unless it’s build into the drone and it’s automatic without having the switch like on Mavic Pro and Mavic Air,then the DJI spark does not have precisión landing.

Flysafe.
Alex.
2018-8-30
Use props
fans68308231
lvl.2
Flight distance : 200177 ft

So we have lost precision landing.

What about landing protection? Where it checks landing site to make sure there are no obstacles in the way.
2018-8-30
Use props
Alex Batalov
lvl.4

Spain

fans68308231 Posted at 2018-8-30 16:23

What about landing protection? Where it checks landing site to make sure there are no obstacles in the way.

I doubt that.
2018-8-30
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

fans68308231 Posted at 2018-8-30 16:23

That still exists.  I suspect itll remain off like on my mp1
2018-8-30
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Alex Batalov Posted at 2018-8-30 16:20
Well I have a spark and I tell you that there is no option at all for precision landing in sparks options.
So unless it’s build into the drone and it’s automatic without having the switch like on Mavic Pro and Mavic Air,then the DJI spark does not have precisión landing.

It does have precision landing,.  Countless youtube videos demonstrating it.  Selected via the auto takeoff option and a check box or climbing to 7m.  Just like the mavics.
2018-8-30
Use props
Alex Batalov
lvl.4

Spain

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-30 16:50
It does have precision landing,.  Countless youtube videos demonstrating it.  Selected via the auto takeoff option and a check box or climbing to 7m.  Just like the mavics.

Ok, I’ll check the YouTube videos and maybe I’ll find it then
2018-8-30
Use props
Alex Batalov
lvl.4

Spain

Ok,so the spark has presión landing but it’s automatic, there’s no switch for it like on Mavic Pro and Mavic Air.
So it’s not really the same precision landing or it is just without the switch option.
Maybe it’s like that on Mavic 2 too???

Fly safe.
Alex.
2018-8-30
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

No precision landing? Is that an enhancement or an engineering mistake?
2018-8-30
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Well its not automatic in that if you dont go up to 7m *without moving* it wont work.

Maybe the M2 is the same, nobody yet seems to have tested it.  All the flights people have posted so far wouldnt have met the criteria for an old style precision takeoff.
2018-8-30
Use props
Alex Batalov
lvl.4

Spain

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-30 17:41
Well its not automatic in that if you dont go up to 7m *without moving* it wont work.

Maybe the M2 is the same, nobody yet seems to have tested it.  All the flights people have posted so far wouldnt have met the criteria for an old style precision takeoff.

I meant automatic in the sense that there is no switch for it like on Mavic Pro and Mavic Air.
2018-8-30
Use props
Alex Batalov
lvl.4

Spain

DJI can  please add precision landing to mavic 2 series. It has all the necessary sensors.
It’s clear  you have unhappy customers, and by additing it I think you would really please them.
I myself don’t rely on RTH, I always fly myself. But as people have said it would be really useful in case of remote or app failure and when RTH is triggered and can’t be cancelled.

Fly
Alex.
2018-8-30
Use props
Mavic57pro2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

30#

DJI can  please add precision landing to mavic 2 series. It has all the necessary sensors.
It’s clear  you have unhappy customers, and by additing it I think you would really please them.
I myself don’t rely on RTH, I always fly myself. But as people have said it would be really useful in case of remote or app failure and when RTH is triggered and can’t be cancelled.

Same as Alex.
2018-8-31
Use props
mavicfly
lvl.1
Flight distance : 302339 ft
United States

Adding my vote to bring back precision landing. I was surprised it was missing and can confirm the Mavic 2 Pro does not RTH nearly as accurately (multiple feet away instead of inches) as my Mavic Air does.
2018-8-31
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Mavic57pro2 Posted at 2018-8-31 13:55
30#

Hi, We will forward your request to our R&D engineers for consideration. Thank you for the support.
2018-8-31
Use props
fans34c91fb6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-8-31 14:48
Hi, We will forward your request to our R&D engineers for consideration. Thank you for the support.

This is a no-brainer.  Should be easy since all the hardware is there.  Please get someone's attention on this.
2018-8-31
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

My guess is that it's now an automatic function. The reason the Mavic Pro 1 had the switch prompt at takeoff was because there were no top collision sensors. Was very necessary to warn users to turn it off if they had something overhead. The Mavic 2 knows not to fly into the ceiling so they removed the prompt. My old Mavic Pro was only accurate at precision landing about 50% of the time, so I'm thinking it still has it, and it's still bad at it.
2018-8-31
Use props
Jason WAI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3136201 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Precision takeoff or Precision Landing ?
2018-8-31
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Jason WAI Posted at 2018-8-31 18:38

That is just what I was going to ask.
2018-8-31
Use props
paul2660
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>

I believe the term is "precision takeoff" there is a screen shot showing it somewhere, which assisted in a precision landing.  Process was to have drone fly up 20 feet and take a picture.  

I was one of the first to point this out in a previous thread.  Sad that DJI has dropped it, I realize manually landing is best skill to have, but when the conditions were right it was a neat feature to have.  

I am not sure if it's still available for the MPP or P4 Pro with latest version of DJIgo4, need to check that.

Paul C
2018-9-1
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Jason WAI Posted at 2018-8-31 18:38

Same thing, a precision takeoff got the data required for the drone to perform a precision landing.

Two methods, the auto takeoff mode and tick the "Use Precision Takeoff" tick box that appeared.
OR manually take off and without moving the drone, climb slowly to 6m before flying off.

Both these enabled it to record images and sensor data it needed to land more accurately.

WITHOUT that data its GPS accuracy for landing alone which is 3-5m radius.  And thats what the M2s currently do.
2018-9-1
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

paul2660 Posted at 2018-9-1 05:51
I believe the term is "precision takeoff" there is a screen shot showing it somewhere, which assisted in a precision landing.  Process was to have drone fly up 20 feet and take a picture.  

I was one of the first to point this out in a previous thread.  Sad that DJI has dropped it, I realize manually landing is best skill to have, but when the conditions were right it was a neat feature to have.  

Its still on Go4 for all drones that support it (so everything except the Mavic 2!).
2018-9-1
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hand catch all my drones except for the Inspire 1for obvious reason.
2018-9-1
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules