Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic 2 Precision landing
31979 248 2018-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

DJIJAKOB Posted at 2018-9-5 04:27
Yes the Mavic 2 does not have precision landing. This is a feature that was removed. The Mavic 2 has the hardware and necessary cameras to perform precision landing and take off. But DJI has limited the software so it won't have that feature. Why? I have no clue. DJI tend to remove some features from different drones. E.g the Spark has dynamic home point, while the Mavic Air does not. If this is part of their strategy I'm not sure.

To be fair we dont know that.
The old mavic had ultrasound, the new mavic doesn;t.  OK maybe it didn't use it but we don't know for sure.

Why would they have "limited the software".  Its far more likely they didnt have time to write it along with all the other missing stuff due to a rushed launch date.

Something is going on from my tests.  Landing is more accurate than it should be using GPS alone.
2018-9-5
Use props
DJIJAKOB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740577 ft
  • >>>
Norway

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-5 04:29
To be fair we dont know that.
The old mavic had ultrasound, the new mavic doesn;t.  OK maybe it didn't use it but we don't know for sure.

Interesting point.

From what I thought the ultrasound sensor was only used to measure the height of the Mavic Pro. Mavic Air has precision landing, but no ultrasound sensor...

I too have noticed the landing is quite precise. Could it be a possibility that precision landing is "included" in the software now? Meaning that there is no option for precision landing, it is enabled by default. I don't see an argument as to why you wouldn't want this feature enabled anyway.
And yes, another possibility is that the developers simply didn't have time to integrate that feature, if that is the case then the feature will most likely come in a future update.
2018-9-5
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Its not as precise as a precision landing (typically a few inches every single time provided you did the takeoff correctly) but its not THAT far off.
Unless i got lucky with the GDOP of the satellites on this flight.  So i'll try it again next time.

A lot of people having issues arent saying HOW they're taking off and thats important.  Unless you take off then slowly climb to 30ft without turning or moving even the old ones wont do it.

I need to play more - the last tests were more accurate than i'd expect from GPS but less accurate than i'd expect from precision.

2018-9-5
Use props
Weapon Analyst
lvl.2
Flight distance : 530614 ft
United States

I rather enjoy the landing light.  I have used it several times during night flying.  Of course I am landing manually, but I can see what I am landing on.  It is actually quite bright.  
2018-9-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-5 04:24
I just did some testing of this. Did 5 precision takeoff techniques and tested RTH and landing.

At times it was accurate to within inches, the worst i saw was maybe 1m or so off. This is far more accurate than you'd expect from GPS alone.

You didn’t get a lucky one, your experience is exactly the same as mine, it’s also the same as P4 which uses the same RTH .
2018-9-5
Use props
solen 1
lvl.2
United States

Wow no plans to bring it back?? So, if the controller breaks or dies, and the drone does an auto return to home, is dji going to replace the drone after it lands on cars, lakes, maybe even hurt somebody? That's when you use precision landing, is when you have no choice but to let the drone land on it's own. Smh I really hope they fix this
2018-9-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

solen 1 Posted at 2018-9-5 10:30
Wow no plans to bring it back?? So, if the controller breaks or dies, and the drone does an auto return to home, is dji going to replace the drone after it lands on cars, lakes, maybe even hurt somebody? That's when you use precision landing, is when you have no choice but to let the drone land on it's own. Smh I really hope they fix this

Why would it land on a car or in a lake, where did you think dji drones in RTH landed before precision landing, maybe show us just one case that landed on a car or in a lake.
Look on the bright side at least we won’t have to force land all the time because app tells us it’s not safe to land from where it took off from.
2018-9-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-5 04:57
Its not as precise as a precision landing (typically a few inches every single time provided you did the takeoff correctly) but its not THAT far off.
Unless i got lucky with the GDOP of the satellites on this flight.  So i'll try it again next time.

I need to play more - the last tests were more accurate than i'd expect  from GPS ...

Last night I ran across someone blogging as to this.  From what I could get out of what person was saying (which was by no means clear), his belief was multiple takeoff and landings in same exact spot were resulting in GPS cordinates being averaged, more accurate return landing.

The possibility of averaging could be tested by moving takeoff / landing spot in random directions and at least 15-meters difference on every flight.

Know from using Garmin handheld GPS, you can get a more precise location to start looking for a buried / hidden survey marker from survey's GPS coordiantes -- if you move through area several times, placing a flag marker on each pass through.  Moving through X axis, then Y axis, followed by 45 through X&Y axis.  Versus simply going directly to GPS coordinates as indicated by handheld GPS.

2018-9-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-5 10:37
I need to play more - the last tests were more accurate than i'd expect  from GPS ...

Last night I ran across someone blogging as to this.  From what I could get out of what person was saying (which was by no means clear), his belief was multiple takeoff and landings in same exact spot were resulting in GPS cordinates being averaged, more accurate return landing.

Why would it need testing, it’s tested every day with P3 and P4 , no reports of any rogue landings in almost two and a half years with those aircraft, whoever was blogging knows nothing about how gps works in these drones, once you get gps lock at launch site , this is your homepoint it’s not an average gps . And RTH will go to homepoint when requested by controller.
2018-9-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-5 11:04
Why would it need testing, it’s tested every day with P3 and P4 , no reports of any rogue landings in almost two and a half years with those aircraft, whoever was blogging knows nothing about how gps works in these drones, once you get gps lock at launch site , this is your homepoint it’s not an average gps . And RTH will go to homepoint when requested by controller.

Hallmark007 -- whoever was blogging knows nothing about how gps works in these drones

Like you do!

Hallmark007 --  Gps in cars and phones receive signal in much different ways than your gps in your aircraft , gps in drones takes signal directly from satellites,so yes if you are above obstacles in the clear sky you have much better chance of receiving higher gps sat count.  Cars and phones receive signal from antenna masts signals being bounced around from strategically placed very large GPS receivers and that’s why they don’t have problems driving through cities etc.

ROFL!

If what you say were true.  When driving through a city, your Car & Phone would show to be in same sport as those supposedly ''strategically placed very large GPS receivers'' that feed cell tower your Phone was currently connected too.  

Further, Car's GPS is not reliant on Cell Towers.  

Further, most SmartPhones (those with GPS) are not reliant on Cell Towers.

2018-9-5
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-5 10:37

None were an identical position though.  Same rough general area but nothing more.

I did more flights and it was off by quite a bit more.
The last flight 5m or so, the second one 2m or so (both needed manual intervention to avoid a crash).
These had more buildings around so probably worse GDOP / geometry.

Im satisfied now its only using GPS and has no form of precision adjustments.

If you look directly down from 400ft and all of its descend there are no course corrections at all after its "arrived" and started its descent.
2018-9-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-5 11:19
Hallmark007 -- whoever was blogging knows nothing about how gps works in these drones

Like you do!

What has that got to do with how P4 and P3 and how they preform wher in RTH , your pushing the self destruct button again.
2018-9-5
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-5 10:16
You didn’t get a lucky one, your experience is exactly the same as mine, it’s also the same as P4 which uses the same RTH .

I did get lucky.  I was in an open area, completely clear view in all directions.

Other tests in areas with trees and/or buildings it was off by exactly what id expect from GPS.

(and no, GPS has nothing to do with cell towers.  You can get away with a LOT less accuracy driving a car and snap-to-road software).
2018-9-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-5 11:22
None were an identical position though.  Same rough general area but nothing more.

I did more flights and it was off by quite a bit more.

Then it looks like you have a problem , I have been flying P4 for two and a half years and it has never failed to land outside 1 metre from take off, 5 metres is way to much I would like to see your flight log because that is not good, I have tested RTH and every one is within inches. And we have seen others here report it landing within inches, but 5 metres is huge so might help to put up the flight log.
2018-9-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-5 11:25
I did get lucky.  I was in an open area, completely clear view in all directions.

Other tests in areas with trees and/or buildings it was off by exactly what id expect from GPS.

Who said gps in drones has anything to do with cell towers ?
2018-9-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-5 11:27
Some people would rather say the iPhone 4 antenna wasn't poorly designed - it was people "not knowing how to hold the phone right".   
Wait a sec - was someone claiming that car GPS was reliant on cell towers? There is no emoji that can describe the laughing right now.

Hi Dave , your around a long time this time, not banned yet, you are the most banned person around this forum, you have been trolling me and others for over 3 years now , it will only be a matter of time before your on your way again.
2018-9-5
Use props
ShadyDealer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

After holding off purchaseing a MP2 I’m sort of glad. Seems to be a lot of removed features and other issues with Pro 2 that have been sold already. Think I’ll hold off even longer... get your act together DJI
2018-9-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Like you do!

HedgeTrimmer.
Quote: Drone photography is not proper photography LMAO.......
2018-9-5
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Where is all this garbage about GPS coming from.

Its ALL satellite based.  Doesn't matter if its a drone, a phone, a car, a digital watch or a Airbus A380.  They all get their GPS from exactly the same satellites.
There is no city wide "large masts".  Its satellites.

You can get differential GPS using a ground based helper system but that isnt what we're talking about here.

All of these just get signals from really accurate clocks flying around the earth.
2018-9-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Like you do!

No gps in phones and cars rely on data from google maps government surveys etc, drones don’t  so that is the difference.
It just goes to show how much of a troll you are that you would go back over a year searching for this sh#t , you really need to get a life.
2018-9-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-5 11:04

Hallmark007 - Why would it need testing  

Why would it not need testing?

Testing as described would show whether Mavic 2's accuracy of return is tied in someway to previous takeoff / landings in exact same spot.

It might also bring some Truth to this topic.  Being I know if you hold a GPS unit over same spot (like say a drone hovered - lifted straight up, then lower straight down), the readings either don't change or are negligible.   Whereas if you take a GPS reading over a spot then walk hundred feet away, then come right back, GPS readings will be slightly different.

Original GPS minus Return GPS Reading:
iPhone-5s = 0.000003 / 0.000017

Garmin 64st = -0.00006 / -0.00003
Hadn't started raining heavily, I would have gone to what GPS thought was original position, and measured distance back to original.

Difference between to iPhone & Garmin's original recorded GPS cordinates.  Different devices slightly different GPS location.

0.00008 / 0.000053

iPhone-5s reported GPS accuracy at time +/- 17-feet  (via GPS Diagnostic App's Home menu)

Garmin 64st reported GPS accuracy at time +/- 09-feet (via Satellite Page)

2018-9-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-5 11:42
Be careful what you say! Hallmark may yell at you for not agreeing that the Mavic 2 Pro is perfect! Maybe it should connect to the "large GPS towers" that are all over the place.

Zing!

2018-9-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-5 11:41

Its ALL satellite based.  Doesn't matter if its a drone, a phone, a car, a digital watch or a Airbus A380.  They all get their GPS from exactly the same satellites.

It comes from trolls digging up something I posted over a year and a half ago. But nothing to do with what the topic is here.

The wise guy TommyGA has been banned from this forum more times than anyone here, he trolls people you will see some of the muck he has already put up about other members.
He’s a real piece of work usually shows up here with new avatar after new releases, it would be wise to ignore him, he’s been doing it for 3 years now.
2018-9-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-5 11:41

That is an easy one.  Hallmark007 got caught once again B.lowing S.moke!
Now Hallmark007 is desperately trying to Weasel Word his way out of it.  More Spin, More Distractions, More Derailing.

2018-9-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-5 11:49
Hallmark007 - Why would it need testing  

I read the first line of this post and I’m not reading anymore, you don’t own a M2P you have said publicly here that you will never own a M2 why are you so worried whether it lands on a roof or a stamp, all your here to do is try to rubbish this product , maybe you will tell us what difference it’s going to make to you ?
Just read where others have tested already and you should be able to figure and plenty have.
2018-9-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-5 11:54
It comes from trolls digging up something I posted over a year and a half ago.

The wise guy TommyGA has been banned from this forum more times than anyone here, he trolls people you will see some of the muck he has already put up about other members.

Hallmark007 - The wise guy TommyGA has been banned from this forum...

People who live in Fragile glass houses, should not throw boulders.
What happened to Hallmark007?  see Posted response by DJI Joe (Administrator)

DJI Joe - ''He has been temporarily banned for being unnecessarily inflammatory too  many times. Temporary bans get put in place to allow people to rethink  their responses in the future. We appreciate his large amount of helpful  posts, but that doesn't make his aggressive behavior OK. Hope he as  well as everyone else understands.''

In case of Smoke Blowing
Glass-House.jpg

2018-9-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Here you go this is what we are all missing by not having precision landing , your looking for tests here’s one you can’t rubbish.

2018-9-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-5 12:06
Hallmark007 - The wise guy TommyGA has been banned from this forum...

People who live in Fragile glass houses, should not throw boulders.

Trolling again . Your well matched with Tommy G A
2018-9-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-5 11:48
No gps in phones and cars rely on data from google maps government surveys etc, drones don’t  so that is the difference.
It just goes to show how much of a troll you are that you would go back over a year searching for this sh#t , you really need to get a life.

Hallmark007 - No gps in phones and cars rely on data from google maps government surveys

Is above from a botched bar joke...

Why do iPhones and Cars go to Geography section of Public Libaries?
To look up their previous locations Latitude and Longitude for GPS...   (ba-da-dum, tshhh)

And to think of all those Billions of dollars that could have been saved by not launching GPS Satellites into orbit!

2018-9-5
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-5 11:48
No gps in phones and cars rely on data from google maps government surveys etc, drones don’t  so that is the difference.

No they don't.

They get their location from satellites.  The maps are just an overlay.  Without the satellites they wouldn't know where they are.
In case you hadnt noticed, Go4 has a google map overlay too.
2018-9-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-5 12:03
I read the first line of this post and I’m not reading anymore, you don’t own a M2P you have said publicly here that you will never own a M2 why are you so worried whether it lands on a roof or a stamp, all your here to do is try to rubbish this product , maybe you will tell us what difference it’s going to make to you ?
Just read where others have tested already and you should be able to figure and plenty have.

Hallmark007 - ... maybe you will tell us what difference it’s going to make to you ?

At the moment it is countering your disinformation.  You clearly do not know what your are talking about involving GPS and Cars / Phones.   Your statements are very misleading and people who don't know, could take such statements as fact.  

Additionally bothersome is you continue to try to spread the disinformation with your usual derailing and dragging on of more non-sense.  Instead of simply saying you (Hallmark007) were wrong or mistaken or letting it go.

Fact you attempt to cover-up such mistakes with further non-sense, makes you a risk to Newbie drone pilots.  

Hope that answers your question.  

2018-9-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-5 12:22
No they don't.

They get their location from satellites.  The maps are just an overlay.  Without the satellites they wouldn't know where they are.

Can gps work out when a new road is constructed, when a building has been knocked when a road has been closed, so it needs outside source or your car will end up driving off a cliff.

Here’s what wiki says.

A GPS navigation device, GPS receiver, or simply GPS is a device that is capable of receiving information from GPS satellites and then to calculate the device's geographical position. Using suitable software, the device may display the position on a map, and it may offer directions. The Global Positioning System (GPS) is a global navigation satellite system (GNSS) made up of a network of a minimum of 24, but currently 30, satellites placed into orbit by the U.S. Department of Defense.[1]
The GPS was originally developed for use by the United States military, but in the 1980s, the United States government allowed the system to be used for civilian purposes. Though the GPS satellite data is free and works anywhere in the world, the GPS device and the associated software must be bought or rented.
A GPS device can retrieve from the GPS system location and time information in all weather conditions, anywhere on or near the Earth. A GPS reception requires an unobstructed line of sight to four or more GPS satellites,[2] and is subject to poor satellite signal conditions. In exceptionally poor signal conditions, for example in urban areas, satellite signals may exhibit multipath propagation where signals bounce off structures, or are weakened by meteorological conditions. Obstructed lines of sight may arise from a tree canopy or inside a structure, such as in a building, garage or tunnel. Today, most standalone GPS receivers are used in automobiles. The GPS capability of smartphones may use assisted GPS (A-GPS) technology, which can use the base station or cell towers to provide a faster Time to First Fix (TTFF), especially when GPS signals are poor or unavailable. However, the mobile network part of the A-GPS technology would not be available when the smartphone is outside the range of the mobile reception network, while the GPS aspect would otherwise continue to be available.
The Russian Global Navigation Satellite System (GLONASS) was developed contemporaneously with GPS, but suffered from incomplete coverage of the globe until the mid-2000s.[3] GLONASS can be added to GPS devices to make more satellites available and enabling positions to be fixed more quickly and accurately, to within 2 meters.[4]
2018-9-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-5 12:33
Hallmark007 - ... maybe you will tell us what difference it’s going to make to you ?

At the moment it is countering your disinformation.  You clearly do not know what your are talking about involving GPS and Cars / Phones.   Your statements are very misleading and people who don't know, could take such statements as fact.  

Again I was completely right about you , you are a TROLL, you got your test said nothing about it, but would rather dig up something from a year and a half ago.
Be honest your not interested in this thread your just interested in your new Mate and TROLLING.
KEEP ON TOPIC.
2018-9-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

As regards newbies, they just need to do what you were looking for proof of how good landing is without precision landing and I have provided that, what have you provided, post from a year and a half ago.

You are just here to cause HYSTERIA you done the same on the Mavic Air forum for the last 7 months it’s what you do and your well matched with your friend TommyGA.
2018-9-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Here’s your new Bestie , banned for LIFE , and there are quite a few more of these banned posts around here.
For anyone else here, they should Know who TommyGA really is and why he’s here to troll.

2018-9-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-5 12:52
Again I was completely right about you , you are a TROLL, you got your test said nothing about it, but would rather dig up something from a year and a half ago.
Be honest your not interested in this thread your just interested in your new Mate and TROLLING.
KEEP ON TOPIC.

Hallmark007 - KEEP ON TOPIC

Be a whole lot easier to ''KEEP ON TOPIC'' if you would heed your own lecturing advice.
Hallmark007 - you are a TROLL
Hallmark007 - your new Mate and TROLLING

2018-9-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-5 13:24
Hallmark007 - KEEP ON TOPIC

Be a whole lot easier to ''KEEP ON TOPIC'' if you would heed your own lecturing advice.

Again ignore the proof , you got it but now it looks like you would rather Troll with Tommy.
2018-9-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-5 13:24
While Captain Propwash may hysterically post nonsense accusing people of being other people, his Wikipedia post really proved his own fallaciousness. In great detail. I think we know who the winner is here, and it ain’t the Irish Leprechaun!

Back to regular programming: it is clear in so many places that people don’t like the fact that DJI removed the precision RTH feature. Clearly it was a mistake.

Goodbye Dave, montymelon Head , glimmerman, and I forgot about Ron Harper, think it’s best that everyone on the forum is introduced to this forums most Famous Troll .
2018-9-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-5 13:26
Again ignore the proof , you got it but now it looks like you would rather Troll with Tommy.

What are you blathering on about now, "ignore the proof".  

That Wiki post is simply another one of your ways of trying distract people from posts that show you were severely mistaken about Cars / Phones and GPS.

Admit it, you were wrong!
2018-9-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-5 13:17
Here’s your new Bestie , banned for LIFE , and there are quite a few more of these banned posts around here.
For anyone else here, they should Know who TommyGA really is and why he’s here to troll.
[view_image][view_image]

If there is any Truth to it even relating someone posting here.  Not that you can be trusted with truth.
All I can say is, the banned for Life should have Hallmark007 as Avatars.

2018-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules