Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DH_Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

Hi All,

It seems that precision landing feature has been removed from Mavic 2. I was testing my Mavic 2 Pro today and I was not able to use presicion landing it was landing about 1 - 2 meters of starting point. There is also no precision landing option in settings.

DJI could you confirm why this was removed?

Thanks

David

2018-8-30
Use props
Chipke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2668323 ft
  • >>>
Czechia

Today, I found that Precision Landing is not in new version. I dont know, why???
2018-8-30
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. Upon checking to our engineers, Precision landing was removed.
2018-8-30
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

That would seem to be a fairly odd feature to remove.  Especially given the sensors it requires are still there and all the previous models had it!

2018-8-30
Use props
StarFishUK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54970 ft
United Kingdom

What a strange decision. I've always been really impressed by how good the precision landing is. I wonder what the reason for this is.
2018-8-30
Use props
Thriller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 374337 ft
Italy

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-8-30 07:13
Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. Upon checking to our engineers, Precision landing was removed.

Can you tell us why?
2018-8-30
Use props
DH_Pilot
Second Officer
  • >>>
Slovakia

This is really shame, this machine is for sure capable of precision landing so removing it is nonsense for me.

DJI could you confirm real reason why it was removed?
2018-8-30
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Also, what's the point of the silly little landing light if it has no effect on helping with landing?
2018-8-30
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

That's we are not sure of, sir. As of now, this is just the information that we can provide. I'm sorry.
2018-8-30
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

No precision landing? Wow.
2018-8-30
Use props
Alex Batalov
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

DJI can  please add precision landing to mavic 2 series. It has all the necessary sensors.
It’s clear  you have unhappy customers, and by additing it I think you would really please them.
I myself don’t rely on RTH, I always fly myself. But as people have said it would be really useful in case of remote or app failure and when RTH is triggered and can’t be cancelled.

Fly
Ale
2018-8-30
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Having tested the RTH behaviour in various scenarios I can confirm that it behaves as described in the manual.

For loss of controller signal it waits a few seconds then retraces it’s route after ascending to the preset height.

Once it arrives above it’s starting point it descends to about 1.5 meters and waits.

I didn’t wait for the battery to go critical but powered up the controller, once connected it had an option to land (slide to land)

If the battery had gone critical it would have just landed on the spot it took off from or the recorded home point.

Pressing RTH causes the ircraft to ascend to the preset and fly directly to above the take off point. It then descends to 1.5m. If it determines that the surface is unsuitable it gives the option to ‘force landing’.

Not that different to the MP1.
2018-8-31
Use props
fans34c91fb6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

Buzzyone Posted at 2018-8-31 08:24
Having tested the RTH behaviour in various scenarios I can confirm that it behaves as described in the manual.

For loss of controller signal it waits a few seconds then retraces it’s route after ascending to the preset height.

The question is how close is it to the original launch point?
2018-8-31
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

I have been hearing 5 to 8 ft from where it took off.
2018-8-31
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Kingram Posted at 2018-8-31 11:16
I have been hearing 5 to 8 ft from where it took off.

Which is slightly above average but well within the normal GPS error radius.  You wont get better than that with GPS.
2018-8-31
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans34c91fb6 Posted at 2018-8-31 10:17
The question is how close is it to the original launch point?

It was bang n to its original launch point.
2018-8-31
Use props
Mark Moonstruck
New

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-8-30 07:53
That's we are not sure of, sir. As of now, this is just the information that we can provide. I'm sorry.

That's a deal breaker for me.  I'll keep my Mavic Pro.  I will NOT be upgrading.
2018-9-2
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Mark Moonstruck Posted at 2018-9-2 07:54
That's a deal breaker for me.  I'll keep my Mavic Pro.  I will NOT be upgrading.

I fully understand you, sir. Thank you for your understanding.
2018-9-2
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-8-30 07:13

Smart engineers!
2018-9-2
Use props
solen 1
lvl.2
United States

They are probably fixing it
2018-9-2
Use props
DH_Pilot
Second Officer
  • >>>
Slovakia

I really hope it was because of time pressure for releasing Mavic 2 to market and it will be added in future.
2018-9-2
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

DH_Pilot Posted at 2018-9-2 08:51
I really hope it was because of time pressure for releasing Mavic 2 to market and it will be added in future.

Maybe.  Or maybe it used the ultrasonic sensors which now dont exist.

So a new mode would require a complete recode from scratch to use the new sensors.
2018-9-2
Use props
DH_Pilot
Second Officer
  • >>>
Slovakia

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-2 09:14
Maybe.  Or maybe it used the ultrasonic sensors which now dont exist.

So a new mode would require a complete recode from scratch to use the new sensors.

It is very unlikely that precision landing was using ultrasonic sensors, I'm pretty confident it was based on bottom cameras which are in place also in MP2.
2018-9-2
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

I cant see them using it either but struggling to see why this feature isnt fitted from day 1.  There has to be a reason surely..
2018-9-2
Use props
cicciopilota
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36624 ft
  • >>>
Italy

One user on YouTube say now it land like an anafi, dji move on and update firmware like in Mavic Pro 1
2018-9-2
Use props
fansc587ef65
lvl.1

Canada

I was planning on buying the 2Pro today and I saw this issue.  That's just stupid.  Remove a valuable feature that the previous model had despite the new model having way more sensors.  I would rely on RTH being precise.  I want to be able to launch from my dock and other places where RTH being off by a few metres makes a costly difference.  On Youtube I saw a comparison of the Mavic Pro 1 precision landing and it was dead on the exact point where it took off.  So I don't buy the crap about GPS being off.  Perhaps it used optics as well but it worked.  The Mavic 2 Pro in the comparison was off by several feet, missing the landing pad all together.  Shame on you DJI.
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Spark, Mavic Pro, Platinum and Air all used optical sensors for precision landing.
GPS alone is 3-5m roughly only.
2018-9-3
Use props
fans34c91fb6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-2 13:38
DJI: "Let's install LED lights on the bottom of the new Mavic 2 Pro. You know, for better precision landing in low light situations etc. Oh, and at the same time, let's remove precision landing from the features! Because - who needs precision landing anyway?

No, after taking away Precision Landing they added the lights so you could see how far off it is.
2018-9-3
Use props
fans4b1c3b6a
lvl.1

United States

This is so dumb,  just got my mavic 2 zoom a week ago and there’s no precision landing. I actually noticed several times. No setting either. Even my little spark had precision landing and it worked awesome.

Come on DJI update your app and add precision landing
2018-9-4
Use props
Avi8tor0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88301 ft
  • >>>
United States

Starting to wonder if the reasons for this and many other missing features is due to a limitation of the M2's hardware? Some of the missing features are pretty standard across all DJI drones. To release a dumbed down model doesn't make any sense at all.
2018-9-4
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>

Not a big deal to me, the only time I've used it was demonstrating to folks how it worked. Personally, I always land it myself.
2018-9-4
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-9-4 08:26
Not a big deal to me, the only time I've used it was demonstrating to folks how it worked. Personally, I always land it myself.

Agreed, I don’t know who uses this feature seriously.  It’s good for showing off, that’s about it.
2018-9-4
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

fans34c91fb6 Posted at 2018-9-3 07:01
No, after taking away Precision Landing they added the lights so you could see how far off it is.

Don't think the lights are there to detect how far off you are, but rather so no obstacle is in the way, when landing and light is low.
2018-9-4
Use props
Cyrille1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 75807 ft
  • >>>
France

any news ? a future update ?
2018-9-5
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-9-4 08:36
Agreed, I don’t know who uses this feature seriously.  It’s good for showing off, that’s about it.

Great as long as you actually have control of the drone.
Not so great if the RC has died, broken, crashed or a software lockup has prevented it talking to the drone.

Its also good for landing itself if the operator cant be bothered to execute the complex motor task of holding a joystick forward for 2 mins.
2018-9-5
Use props
Andrejs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1730177 ft
Latvia

Never used precision landing with Mavic 1. What is a point to use it?
Is it not better to manual land? And it's will be precise 100% of time Also didn't understand why need to use RTH when you can fly manually For me RTH was like only for times when you lost signal etc.Asking because maybe I am missing something and I need to wanting this function too
2018-9-5
Use props
fansf0f2240a
lvl.1
Germany

Yesterday I tested my Mavic 2 Pro starting off a landing pad because of grass and dirt! At RTH it landed in the high grass about 1m off the landing pad! Overload of the gimbal was the result!
My Mavic Pro had no problems like this!
@DJI: if you integrate precision landing in Mavic 2 than it should always be activated so no tick necessary for precision landing! Or does this function use to much power off the cpu?
2018-9-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting decision to remove it!
2018-9-5
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

I just did some testing of this. Did 5 precision takeoff techniques and tested RTH and landing.

At times it was accurate to within inches, the worst i saw was maybe 1m or so off. This is far more accurate than you'd expect from GPS alone.
The drones behaviour is different - it doesn't reorientate itself to the same as it used to take off when it starts to descend.

Maybe i just got very lucky with a way better than average GDOP so i'll try again but if it was GPS only i wouldn't expect that accuracy level.
2018-9-5
Use props
DJIJAKOB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740577 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Yes the Mavic 2 does not have precision landing. This is a feature that was removed. The Mavic 2 has the hardware and necessary cameras to perform precision landing and take off. But DJI has limited the software so it won't have that feature. Why? I have no clue. DJI tend to remove some features from different drones. E.g the Spark has dynamic home point, while the Mavic Air does not. If this is part of their strategy I'm not sure.
2018-9-5
Use props
1234567Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules