Mavic Pro 2-Gimbal Overload Error
123Next >
40706 88 2018-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans1ea8f2a5
New

United States

My gimbal is giving the same errors.  Sending it in tomorrow.  I had a hard landing and was able to get it back to 100%, but it's giving me problems now.  We'll see.
2018-11-4
Use props
mayomp
lvl.1
Thailand

Same problem after a small accident with it
But I'm in asia ... Take days for an answer.

2018-11-4
Use props
fans922df89c
lvl.1
United States

Has anyone had a successful resolution to the gimbal overload issue through DJI?

I had issues on the first two (and only two) flights I did. The gimbal would get stuck and not respond to commands. After the second flight it would gimbal overload on startup onward, becoming unusable.

After all the troubleshooting I was told to send it in for service. They have stated since there is physical damage (which happened before I ever used it) I have to pay for it and invoiced me for my DJI care refresh deducible which I specifically did not request. No crashes or hard landings, just a bad gimbal unit from the outset.

Any satisfactory resolutions or advice?
2018-11-14
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Brian Hawkins Posted at 9-3 09:07
Had the same problem starting from the very first flight on my M2P.  Gimbal starts shaking and I get the overload warning.  Calibrated IMU, compass, and gimbal but no improvement.  Contacted DJI and they are going to replace the drone,  thankfully.  Here's footage from first test flight showing the problem.  https://vimeo.com/287735587/e634c2829f

This is similar to what mine was doing only with mine, the shaking was a LOT more violent. It happened on the first flight, gimbal and IMU calibration and it went away. Then when I updated to .100, it happened again, once again gimbal and IMU calibration fixed it. Then the other day, it did it a third time for no apparent reason. This time, I opened a case and sent it back to DJI. I'm waiting to hear back with what they're going to do about it. I'm hoping they'll send me a new one since it seems to be happening to a lot of folks.
2018-11-14
Use props
fans9fcc1508
New

Russia

Hello, I have a brand new M2P and struggle with the overload error
The only way to start the drone without this error, is to turn it to a side, and it works every 3rd time I try.
FW updated to the latest version.
Any solutions?
2018-11-16
Use props
fans01704c6f
lvl.1
United States

Did anyone reach a resolution for this other than a full drone replacement from DJI? I had a similar problem with my original Mavic that was fixed with a new ribbon cable. Has anyone tried having their Mavic 2 drone serviced with a new ribbon cable?
2018-11-17
Use props
djiuser_KJIxYzlSvgHw
New

United States

sammy98 Posted at 9-1 13:10
Got a brand new Mavic Pro 2 for 1 day straight from DJI. Just flying it around in my living room. It hit the dining table about 3 feet high and crashed. Now got an error that the Gimbal is overload alternating with Obstructed error. Make sure the clamp is removed. I tried everything I could find from the forum and google, including calibrating it 5 times and got stuck at 10% each time. Found that every single Mavic pro/pro2 owner had this problem.  This is a major FLAW with DJI. Had I known this issue can occur with just harsh landing or a few feet high crash, I would not have bought this drone. DJI, please do something about this issue. $1500 drone should be able to withstand a  3 feet high crash. it's useless unless I send it to get it repair , which will cost hundreds.

I have the same exact problem everything except mines fell of my hand Literally 2 feet.  Trying to figure out if I can fix it myself if is a ribbon or something?
2018-11-24
Use props
S.D. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anytime I've gotten the message "Gimbal Overload Error" is when I crashed. Sent in the MP (1st gen) for repairs (3rd party repair shop in states) and got it back in 3 days. Ribbon needed replacement. Gimbal was damaged hence the warning error message.
2018-11-24
Use props
fans922df89c
lvl.1
United States

S.D. Pilot Posted at 11-24 16:42
Anytime I've gotten the message "Gimbal Overload Error" is when I crashed. Sent in the MP (1st gen) for repairs (3rd party repair shop in states) and got it back in 3 days. Ribbon needed replacement. Gimbal was damaged hence the warning error message.

I don't know what the issue is with mine, but I am in Tech Support hell. The keep repeating the same statement about paying the invoice or not understand what I just said and deflecting from my questions. They also lied on a one call about putting something into the case file that wasn't there the next time I tried to check in. I also had to explain how their drones worked to the tech support people. It is incredibly frustrating having to pay more money for an expensive drone that was broken before I ever used it.
2018-11-27
Use props
TCC31
lvl.1
Flight distance : 595387 ft
United States

I recently crashed my drone (running a litchi waypoint mission and 1) didn’t know obstacle avoidance doesn’t work in that mode, and 2) I under estimated the height of trees in the area).....fortunately on the outside it doesn't look like there's too much damage
the gimbal is working and moves freely,  however I keep getting the gimbal overload message
when I try to recalibrate it to gets stuck at 10%.
What does happen now that is different, is that on startup the gimbal moves around and then the camera gets locked at the 3 o'clock position as you're facing the camera and the attitude of the camera is about 40° off horizontal
I've taken apart and try to figure out if there's any obvious problems but there doesn't seem to be any. So looks like it's off the repair shop.
2018-12-13
Use props
fans81cb802f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10384 ft
South Africa

I’m having the same Gimbal Overload issue which started recently and the issue is intermittent. I have never crashed the Drone and I have around 2hrs total flight time. I did notice that the right mount of the gimbal has a wide gap which I never noticed before... I suspect this could be the cause of the gimbals negative calibration resulting in an overload. Any suggestions? Can DJi advise on this? Who can I tale it to in South Africa for an inspection (obviously DJI accredited)
2018-12-23
Use props
fans81cb802f
lvl.1
South Africa

Picture of gimbal space. Does anyone notice the same on theirs?
2018-12-23
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kingram Posted at 9-4 15:41
I believe DJI needs to put a piece of foam rubber behind the Gimbal and secure it better so it doesn't bang around during shipping causing these scratches and failures , so how long will it take for them to implement  this 3-6 months ?

Not opened my brand new Mav Pro 2 yet but will be now looking out for gimbal marks! Thanks for the heads up!
2018-12-23
Use props
fans81cb802f
lvl.1
South Africa

2018-12-23
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

fans81cb802f Posted at 12-23 01:57
Picture of gimbal space. Does anyone notice the same on theirs?

Not seeing any picture ?
2018-12-23
Use props
fans81cb802f
lvl.1
South Africa

fans81cb802f Posted at 12-23 01:57

2018-12-23
Use props
fans81cb802f
lvl.1
South Africa

Kingram Posted at 12-23 10:08
Not seeing any picture ?

Pictures not uploading to this forum...
2018-12-23
Use props
norimbo
lvl.1
Poland

Hi I bought mavic 2 pro few days ago. Today I had same flights with 3 batteries. Gimbal overload problem occurs one time
2018-12-23
Use props
Ubiquitous
lvl.1

United States

I’ve had the dreaded gimbal overload problem about 50% of the time (out of 8 total flights). The drone is less than a month old and the support told me they would exchange it for a “like new” drone.

I don’t think so... I’m returning it and DJI better give me a full refund. The drone seems to have a slew of other issues as well, although that’s a separate thread altogether. So far I’m not impressed at all with this drone or the support I’ve experienced.
2018-12-23
Use props
fans81cb802f
lvl.1
South Africa

TCC31 Posted at 12-13 14:10
I recently crashed my drone (running a litchi waypoint mission and 1) didn’t know obstacle avoidance doesn’t work in that mode, and 2) I under estimated the height of trees in the area).....fortunately on the outside it doesn't look like there's too much damage
the gimbal is working and moves freely,  however I keep getting the gimbal overload message
when I try to recalibrate it to gets stuck at 10%.

I’m having the same issue I.e gimbal calibration hanging on 10%... difference is my drone didn’t have any crash and seems lots of M2Pro owners are experiencing the same... DJi needs to respond
2018-12-25
Use props
aDinosaur
New
United States

sammy98 Posted at 9-1 13:10
Got a brand new Mavic Pro 2 for 1 day straight from DJI. Just flying it around in my living room. It hit the dining table about 3 feet high and crashed. Now got an error that the Gimbal is overload alternating with Obstructed error. Make sure the clamp is removed. I tried everything I could find from the forum and google, including calibrating it 5 times and got stuck at 10% each time. Found that every single Mavic pro/pro2 owner had this problem.  This is a major FLAW with DJI. Had I known this issue can occur with just harsh landing or a few feet high crash, I would not have bought this drone. DJI, please do something about this issue. $1500 drone should be able to withstand a  3 feet high crash. it's useless unless I send it to get it repair , which will cost hundreds.

Why were you flying it in your house? This isn't a drone for that. It's not a toy.
2018-12-25
Use props
djiuser_guIzvenSt3HX
New
Australia

I've developed the same problem. Less than 5 hours use. Gimbal always protected and tonight I got this gimbal overload error. It wobbles mid air. Have tried all suggested solutions including imu rest and gimbal calibration. Nothing has helped. I think I will need to contact Australian support. Sad as it I purchased this in September and hardly used!
2018-12-26
Use props
djiuser_guIzvenSt3HX
New
Australia

I've developed the same problem. Less than 5 hours use. Gimbal always protected and tonight I got this gimbal overload error. It wobbles mid air. Have tried all suggested solutions including imu rest and gimbal calibration. Nothing has helped. I think I will need to contact Australian support. Sad as it I purchased this in September and hardly used!
2018-12-26
Use props
KZJ70
lvl.1

Italy

I have the same problem, MAVIC2 drone used very little and never took hits.
Firmaware update. Calibration error 10%
Tomorrow I bring it for warranty checks
2018-12-30
Use props
causalloop
lvl.1
Flight distance : 75558 ft
United States

Guess I'll drop my issue in here as well since this seems to be a common problem with a plethora of potential symptoms...

*Most* of the time, the Gimbal is fine, but I've been able to reproduce an issue with my M2P where if I'm descending from some altitude and keep the Gimbal pointed straight down* - which seems like a reasonable thing to do? - after a short while (10-15 seconds), the gimbal will flip back up to the horizon and start vibrating a bunch.  I haven't done a significant amount of testing, but it seems like if I keep trying to get it to do what I want while in flight, I get an overload, but whether I'm trying or not, after 5-10 seconds, it'll just return to normal for no apparent reason and the overload will go away.

*Doesn't need to be a straight descent, thats just the easiest way to reproduce it.

I don't know a lot about how gimbals work from a mechanism standpoint, but I'm guessing there's some very softly wound spring in there to act as a dampener (in addition to the rubber mounts).  If I'm right, in my case, the spring wants to keep the camera pointed in the direction that allows for the spring to be unwound/unloaded which I think for the most part is lined up with the "forward" pointing direction (and why it returns to that position if you touch it when its off).  This would then mean that the gimbal motor is constantly working against that spring when being 'pointed' at something other than nothing (dead zero).  At a guess, this constant effort is causing some sort of heat build up which it can't dissipate fast enough and is effectively 'loosing control', which is why in my case it flips back up to center and while trying to regain control of it is sitting there vibrating like when your arms shake if you're doing planks or pushups - or are over-taxing some stabilizing muscle that doesn't get used often.

Speculation without complete understanding of how it works, but it would stand to reason - except that it was bloody cold out on at least one of the occasions (for California, thats pretty much anything under 50 *F)  I don't even think I heard the internal fan come on when it was sitting idling without the props moving while I was fiddling with settings.  

Now, to be fair, I have crashed it several times while getting used to it and its got some scuff marks on it, and I've definitely destroyed a set of props (not all at once!).  So, I accept that I could have caused something delicate to malfunction pretty easily.  But, if its not 'broken', thats either a defect or a design flaw...

Short story long - and into a question - has anyone had issues with pointing the camera straight down for long-ish periods of time? (sorry for rambling on :-P)
2019-1-8
Use props
tyronn
lvl.1
Australia

have only recently and very sadly started experiencing this with a 2 month old M2P... have not tried factory reset as suggested earlier, has anybody tried this?
Never had an issue with MP1 so very very disappointing and expecting the support from DJI you would expect with such an expensive drone.
2019-1-11
Use props
KZJ70
lvl.1

Italy

same problem. I sent the drone in warranty assistance
2019-1-14
Use props
fans97b931c4
lvl.1
United States

I recieved my Mavic 2 pro yesterday and had the “Gimble Overloaded” error immediately..... I tried everything suggested in this thread, with no luck..... Very dissapointing and hoping DJI makes this right.
2019-1-16
Use props
greg.azevedo
lvl.1

United States

Very disappointing.  I've been trying to talk myself into or out of buying a drone the last several weeks.  My brother got a Mavic Air for Christmas so was going to purchase a Mavic 2 Pro just so we have some different options.  I actually have one in my cart on Amazon and was just about to place my order but decided to check the forums one last time to see what the latest was and came across this thread.  I lost count of how many posts in this thread started with "I have the same problem".  Then I was also reading the thread about the DJI goggles and how no one has been able to get them to work with their Mavic 2.  Post after post of people complaining that they can't get their goggles to work and no one from DJI chiming in to give an update.  I only see the occasional post that says " I have or will inform our R&D department.".  For over 6 months!
As much as I want to buy a Mavic 2 Pro, I just don't need an $1800 headache.   But still trying to talk myself into pulling the trigger and give DJI the benefit of the doubt that they will resolve these problems.  But this being my first drone, I don't have a lot to go by.

Thoughts?
2019-1-17
Use props
NJ-Drone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8446460 ft
United States

greg.azevedo@sb Posted at 1-17 18:34
Very disappointing.  I've been trying to talk myself into or out of buying a drone the last several weeks.  My brother got a Mavic Air for Christmas so was going to purchase a Mavic 2 Pro just so we have some different options.  I actually have one in my cart on Amazon and was just about to place my order but decided to check the forums one last time to see what the latest was and came across this thread.  I lost count of how many posts in this thread started with "I have the same problem".  Then I was also reading the thread about the DJI goggles and how no one has been able to get them to work with their Mavic 2.  Post after post of people complaining that they can't get their goggles to work and no one from DJI chiming in to give an update.  I only see the occasional post that says " I have or will inform our R&D department.".  For over 6 months!
As much as I want to buy a Mavic 2 Pro, I just don't need an $1800 headache.   But still trying to talk myself into pulling the trigger and give DJI the benefit of the doubt that they will resolve these problems.  But this being my first drone, I don't have a lot to go by.

I have not had any issues since this.   It seemed to be resolved with a recalibration of the IMU and compass.    I used the DJI assistant from my laptop and have not seen that error again.  It’s not going to disappoint.   In my opinion it’s the best consumer done out there.     I also have an Evo which is good.   But not like the M2P
2019-1-24
Use props
djiuser_tIKcCXlL4mJ1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 280768 ft
Germany

Same problem here. Second flight, no crash... gimbal spinning around mid air and overload error. very disappointed. any news?
2019-1-31
Use props
ArchieFPV
New
Flight distance : 21654 ft
United States

Similar problem for me.  I've had my drone for several months.  No crashes.  I've noticed the issue get progressively worse.  Typically I'd land, reboot and/or recalibrate gimbal and be back in the air. Today, not only did I get the overload error but my image also went to static.  I landed and rebooted (during boot up the gimbal looks like it calibrates).....but once in the app I am not able to control the gimbal or re-calibrate....it says gimbal unavailable.  VERY DISAPPOINTED DJI!

I baby this thing like it's my child. Again, not a single crash or abuse (never left the cover on during boot up).   I do basically carry it with me (in a case) everywhere I go....so suspect it was damaged by simply moving it around.
2019-2-17
Use props
Bruegel4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 69475 ft
Canada

Hi, I have the same problem. I bought the drone in December, started flying about a month ago.. and yesterday I encountered with this problem (I did not fall, crash etc). Drone Mavic 2 Pro and Smart controller. All firmware new (latest). During the inspection of the Gimbal, I also found that a rubber on right side behind Gimbal (probably needed for the amortizing) look like very old it is shabby and has a holes..

P.S The package looked like new, seller said that is he a authorized dealer (https://www.ebay.com/usr/consumerelectronicscostsavers) but now I suspect that is my drone have been refurbished ... Is there a way to define it?
2019-4-15
Use props
fansa2d4bf4a
lvl.1

United States

My drone is having the overloaded gimbal error frequently too. Gimbal freaks out and won't stop going crazy till I land and reboot the drone. Tried all the calibrations and firmware updates. To be frank, I did have a nasty crash and broke an arm off to which I replaced myself. I understand my issue may be from the crash but it seems even new drones are subject to this error.
Thinking about ordering a ribbon cable and giving that a shot. I'm sure dji won't accept my drone under warranty after repairing it myself the first time. Hope this issue gets resolved soon!

2019-5-29
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

I had "gimbal overload" twice with my old Mavic pro platinum and found that reasons as followings:
1- Un locking the gimbal with the plastic while moving in the car between places.
2- I accuse the firmware the second time it was right after updating the firmware where the drone was still connected to the computer via "assistant2" and hence I accuse the firmware as a reason causing "gimbal overload"
2019-5-29
Use props
fans663583ad
lvl.2

United States

Sent my MP2 in around the 8th of May for a bad main board. DJI chose to replace the MP2 with a different MP2 rather than deal with replacing the board and I received it on 31 May. The Mavic 2 Pro they sent back has a defective gimbal. Now I have to send the replacement drone back too. You would think they would have mercy on the shipping and downtime but NOPE! Sorry Sir, we don't offer anything but ground shipping for the Mavic 2 Pro.

Back to the gimbal, lol. So, I got it, updated the firmware on the drone and remote. It kept telling me that the gimbal was overloaded and I should check to ensure I removed the gimbal lock. Needless to say, the gimbal never would restart. I took the clear Hasselblad lens off, thinking the stupid gimbal was overweight. It "somewhat worked". The gimbal lined up mostly forward and center but after about 2 minutes it behaved like an exhausted muscle and gave up. It then jerked up at 45 degrees and then jittered back to the center. NO, it was not doing any startup or calibration when it did this. Then I decided on a short flight/video test. The gimbal jerked like mad in the footage. Also, it could not lock into place when on the move, It kept jumping in and out as if it was trying to focus or zoom but there is no zoom on the M2P. So...perhaps they replaced my other drone with one of the drones returned by someone in this forum, lol.
Now, if I could get them to replace this replacement drone with the gimbal of my old drone but leave in the good motherboard and I will be just fine...in another month when they decide to return it *sigh* Two months is ridiculous.
2019-5-31
Use props
djiuser_1Py6VgoVGX6g
New

Switzerland

NJ-Drone Posted at 2018-8-30 23:57
Thank you.   I did see some posts about the air and also the original mavic pro.   It  has been annoying more than anything.   I can't be the only person having this issue..  I sent DJI a bug ticket.  Hopefully I get some answers

Hallo ich besitze die Dji Mavic 2 Pro und habe das gleiche wie du bisher schon 5 mal erlebt. Einfach während dem flug hing dan die kamera schräg nach unten und links ausgerichtet.  Seither bin ich nicht mehr geflogen und weis nicht was tun.
2019-6-23
Use props
AndyBoy
lvl.1

Has anyone made successful progress in resolving the "Gimbal Overload Issue" on the Mavic Pro 2.
I've tried the obvious, calibration, firmware updates etc.
I can not exchange it with any DJI program cause I imported mine from China hence not supported locally
My assumption is that this is a technical issue - Hope there are experts out there who can advise.
2019-9-25
Use props
djiuser_0wBf9d03io6w
lvl.1

I got the same problem. I sent my drone for checking it and also send my flight records so they see that there was no crash and no pilot default. Now they say that I have to pay for the physical small damage that the gimbal has. I explained that that are small scratches because of their dji plastic gimbal protection cover!
I’m pretty sure that my gimbal will still overload and go crazy while flying/recording after that external repair that I will certainly have to pay.
If I get my drone back and it still has that gimbal problem, that will be a BIG problem for DJI! I will claim a new drone and my repairmoney back, that for sure!
2019-10-15
Use props
Helgardt Pretorius
New

South Africa

Hi All

Its quite some time after this post started but here I am in June 2020 with the same Gimbal overload problems. Has anyone had any resolution found by yourself or has DJI support been able to assist with a solution?
2020-6-24
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules