1234Next >
22608 155 2018-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

So it seems that we will not get lens correction out from Mavic. DJI will not answer too, seems.

Nobody at all has actually said anything like that.

And here have been answers.
2018-9-5
Use props
Andrejs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1730177 ft
Latvia

I wrote it according information from RCgroups. That Mavic 2 pro didn't have enough power to correct it on board But still we have possible solutions how to solve it
2018-9-5
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Andrejs Posted at 2018-9-5 02:24
I wrote it according information from RCgroups. That Mavic 2 pro didn't have enough power to correct it on board  But still we have possible solutions how to solve it

True however im still slightly suspicious.  The new image processor is capable of far far more than is currently being used - its got substantial extra capacity features vs whats been turned on.

I buy the logic "Its log, it needs post anyway" but also, the image is correct on screen when filming by *something*
2018-9-5
Use props
HCL
lvl.2

I share your opinion ... i honestly don‘t by this „Not enough Processing Power“. And all the lens correction tips are compromises in quality if we don‘t get a proper lens profile.
2018-9-5
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I don't necessarily buy it but i DO follow their logic of its better done in post to an extent but yes it needs a lens profile
There ARE profiles for inspire and phantoms in Premiere.  
My main complaint is this profile AND the proper LUT should have been released on day 1 if thats the case.
2018-9-5
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-9-5
Use props
fans34c91fb6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

El Diablo Posted at 2018-9-5 04:05
D-Log is totally RAW, you can remove distortion in post. The other profiles do that automatically in drone.

How do you easily do that in Vegas Pro 15?
2018-9-5
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

El Diablo Posted at 2018-9-5 04:05
D-Log is totally RAW, you can remove distortion in post. The other profiles do that automatically in drone.

DLOG is nothing like "RAW".

Raw video is a completely different beast.  Which sadly but for obvious reasons the M2 doesnt do.
2018-9-5
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. The videos shot in DLOG-M and HLG modes on the Mavic 2 Pro cannot be corrected for distortion in the camera but can be edited it in post-processing with the image editing software.
2018-9-5
Use props
Andrejs
lvl.4
Latvia

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-5 02:05
Nobody at all has actually said anything like that.

And here have been answers.

Now wrote
2018-9-5
Use props
Glomby
lvl.2

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-9-5 06:20
Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. The videos shot in DLOG-M and HLG modes on the Mavic 2 Pro cannot be corrected for distortion in the camera but can be edited it in post-processing with the image editing software.

But what is the exact distortion profile? Yes some people made profiles now but these can only be so precise.

I'm able to run the camera through some algorithms to determine the actual camera matrix and calculate the exact distortion properties. However I don't know how to feed this data into premiere pro or others?
I'd say DJI or Hasselblad should know best how the camera lenses distort the image and should provide us with this information.
2018-9-5
Use props
HCL
lvl.2
Germany

Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. The videos shot in DLOG-M and HLG modes on the Mavic 2 Pro cannot be corrected for distortion in the camera but can be edited it in post-processing with the image editing software.

Now the cat is officially out of the bag. What happened to: "Our engineers are currently fixing this issue. Your patience will be much appreciated."?
To shortly say "it can be edited with the image editing software" without a proper LENS PROFILE is a hit in the face of your customers. You advertised us a unique feature and forget to mention that it is unusable out of the box for even semi-professional use and leave us with "find a solution yourself". Fail!
2018-9-5
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

Here's free distorsion correctoin preset https://thefilmpoets.kartra.com/page/wEn20

2018-9-5
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

Why spend more money for M2P marketed with a superior Hasselblad lens if it's distortion has to be corrected in post? And we're JUST now being told about this by DJI after it was outed by consumers.

And no precision landing? Huh? M2P costs more and comes with fewer features?

This is just too much....
2018-9-5
Use props
HCL
lvl.2
Germany

Anoniem Posted at 2018-9-5 10:09
Here's free distorsion correctoin preset https://thefilmpoets.kartra.com/page/wEn20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLFPjI4vVFg

That is nice work from that guy ... but it is still a "guessed" solution and nothing we should need from other customers to make our product usable!
2018-9-5
Use props
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 301545 ft
United States

Hugh Jaynus Posted at 2018-9-5 10:19
Why spend more money for M2P marketed with a superior Hasselblad lens if it's distortion has to be corrected in post? And we're JUST now being told about this by DJI after it was outed by consumers.

And no precision landing? Huh? M2P costs more and comes with fewer features?

Right?

DJI, what's your return policy again? My M2P is merely 6 days old and less than 20 mins of flight time
2018-9-5
Use props
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 301545 ft
United States

Even with the user-supplied barrel distortion fix, the issue is still noticeable especially when tilting the camera upwards.
2018-9-5
Use props
HCL
lvl.2
Germany

No Man's Drone Posted at 2018-9-5 12:42
Even with the user-supplied barrel distortion fix, the issue is still noticeable especially when tilting the camera upwards.

I sounds like you tested it. The problem with approximated solutions is always partial warping which can be more or less visible (depending of the perspective/ viewing angle and the image itself).
2018-9-5
Use props
totalitarian
lvl.3
United Kingdom

The filmpoets preset is for  Full FOV Dlog-M, how about HQ Dlog-m? This is shocking that hasselblad are happy to let this slide....
2018-9-5
Use props
HCL
lvl.2
Germany

totalitarian Posted at 2018-9-5 13:31
The filmpoets preset is for  Full FOV Dlog-M, how about HQ Dlog-m? This is shocking that hasselblad are happy to let this slide....

It should not work because of the crop. And it brings to my mind that one lens correction profile for the original lens is not enough to get the best out of the new camera in different situations. I would normally prefer the HQ mode but there are also conditions were the FOV is more useful.
2018-9-5
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Why cant you guys agree on whats correct info and not, and stop posting confusing messages were one says no, and other yes???
2018-9-5
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I can't see a problem with doing this in post, if you are using dlog then you will be doing post on it anyway.

What I will say is DJI should provide a preset that can be used in Premiere etc to make life a bit easier, most people will know what they are doing with colour grading etc but correcting lens distortion is different.  It will probably be added to the preset in Premiere at some stage anyway but I would imagine that someone at DJI already has the info as it's being corrected in normal and would not be too difficult to release a small preset or give us the precise distortion details to do it ourselves.

2018-9-5
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Agreed.  Provide a preset and provide a LUT.  Thats all thats needed,
2018-9-5
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Let what slide?  Fixing distortion in post is generally accepted as a better way of doing it.
2018-9-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

HCL Posted at 2018-9-5 09:33
Now the cat is officially out of the bag. What happened to: "Our engineers are currently fixing this issue. Your patience will be much appreciated."?
To shortly say "it can be edited with the image editing software" without a proper LENS PROFILE is a hit in the face of your customers. You advertised us a unique feature and forget to mention that it is unusable out of the box for even semi-professional use and leave us with "find a solution yourself". Fail!

Haven't you worked out by now that is the standard answer to everything from the current forum moderators?
They almost never give any technical answers but copy and paste the above for anything.
2018-9-5
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1204754 ft

What I am seeing rationalized here is:  spending a lot for a flying camera touted as top-of-the-line that has crap distortion is ok because you can just spend even more money on a program to fix it. No big deal, right? LOLLLLLL

Like saying its ok to spend a lot for a cool car that breaks down a lot because you have a good mechanic!

Some of you should be my life coach.
2018-9-5
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-5
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-6
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106093 ft
Luxembourg

I will paste here what I just wrote in another thread:

Distortion is not a defect. How could you imagine that a 1" sensor and a f/2,8 lens are packaged in such a tiny box without distortion? Even my Canon L lenses, that are huge, and more expensive that the whole M2P, have distortion. This is easily corrected in post-production. In the case of the M2P, it affects only D-LOG footage, which will in any case need post-production, so correcting this distortion will be straightforward, we just need DJI to provide a profile for this (and if they don't, I am sure that someone will create one).
2018-9-6
Use props
Andrejs
lvl.4
Latvia

pjollain Posted at 2018-9-6 00:07
I will paste here what I just wrote in another thread:

Distortion is not a defect. How could you imagine that a 1" sensor and a f/2,8 lens are packaged in such a tiny box without distortion? Even my Canon L lenses, that are huge, and more expensive that the whole M2P, have distortion. This is easily corrected in post-production. In the case of the M2P, it affects only D-LOG footage, which will in any case need post-production, so correcting this distortion will be straightforward, we just need DJI to provide a profile for this (and if they don't, I am sure that someone will create one).

No one expect that it will be without distortion. We can't fool physics law.
Problem that DJI don't mention about it and we didn't have any profile or info how, properly!, fix it in post.
2018-9-6
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

El Diablo Posted at 2018-9-6 00:02
DLOG is a gamma curve for converting RAW to REC709 (according to DJI).

It is a flat color profile, with minimal contrast, gamma and gammut curves are optimized for editing with 14 stops of dynamic range, etc.

No its not

Raw video is the equivalent to raw video.  

DLOG is just a colour  curve.  Its not raw sensor data, its compressed and various other things.  Theres nothing raw about it.
All it has is a flat profile with nothing stretching which should allow more scope in post.

But its nothing like raw video.  Which does exist on high end camera.

2018-9-6
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hugh Jaynus Posted at 2018-9-5 19:01
What I am seeing rationalized here is:  spending a lot for a flying camera touted as top-of-the-line that has crap distortion is ok because you can just spend even more money on a program to fix it. No big deal, right? LOLLLLLL

Like saying its ok to spend a lot for a cool car that breaks down a lot because you have a good mechanic!

Well it only appears in a video mode that 100% must be post processed anyway so wheres the issue?
Log video is unusable without processing.

If you dont want to post process, use a non log mode and its not there.  Simples.
2018-9-6
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-6
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Yes so this isn't raw video that i can get out of my proper camera.  Its processed video.  Processed in a way that allows more scope for alteration for but ultimately we're still dealing with lossy compression.
I'd love raw video.  It wont happen but i'd love it!

To me raw is raw sensor.  Once its processed and edited you've lost scope for alteration and have to deal with it.
2018-9-6
Use props
fans980d1304
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Glomby Posted at 2018-9-5 06:47
But what is the exact distortion profile? Yes some people made profiles now but these can only be so precise.

I'm able to run the camera through some algorithms to determine the actual camera matrix and calculate the exact distortion properties. However I don't know how to feed this data into premiere pro or others?

Hey, I feel like the FIlm Poets profile is precise. It's matched to the Normal profile correction, and I'm using it on professional films right now. - http://geni.us/DistortionCorrection
2018-9-6
Use props
fans980d1304
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

HCL Posted at 2018-9-5 10:42
That is nice work from that guy ... but it is still a "guessed" solution and nothing we should need from other customers to make our product usable!

I hate "guessed" distortion profiles as well, but this isn't a guess. It's matched to DJI's actual profile from the Normal color mode. It's like 99% exact.
2018-9-6
Use props
fans980d1304
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

HCL Posted at 2018-9-5 13:55
It should not work because of the crop. And it brings to my mind that one lens correction profile for the original lens is not enough to get the best out of the new camera in different situations. I would normally prefer the HQ mode but there are also conditions were the FOV is more useful.

There will be an update to The Film Poets Distortion correction for HQ well soon.
2018-9-6
Use props
CaptureAZ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 141 ft
United States

HCL Posted at 2018-9-3 10:01
On mavicpilots is a statement that DJI does not fix this cause there is not enough processing power in the M2P for the barrel correction when filming in D-LOG or HLG and we have to do it in post.
Can someone clarify if this is true?

This doesn't make much sense since d-log or HLG actually requires LESS processing power to send what is essentially raw image data straight to the card, compared to the "normal" color mode(s) which requires the drone to add a color profile ontop of raw data and then write it to the card.

This is pretty disappointing.  I really don't know how they wouldn't have seen this in beta or even alpha testing, and unless you do not change the angle of the gimbal in flight so that the horizon stays where it is, it'll be near impossible to fix in post, or at least WAY more work than it should be.
2018-9-6
Use props
CaptureAZ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 141 ft
United States

For anyone who really wants to correct for this in Premiere Pro, go to effects - Video Effects - Distort - Lens Distortion.  Drag and drop the effect on the clip, set Curvature to -10 or -11.  What I don't like about it it'll warp the entire scene, but it is what it is.
2018-9-6
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

CaptureAZ Posted at 2018-9-6 09:19
This doesn't make much sense since d-log or HLG actually requires LESS processing power to send what is essentially raw image data straight to the card, compared to the "normal" color mode(s) which requires the drone to add a color profile ontop of raw data and then write it to the card.

This is pretty disappointing.  I really don't know how they wouldn't have seen this in beta or even alpha testing, and unless you do not change the angle of the gimbal in flight so that the horizon stays where it is, it'll be near impossible to fix in post, or at least WAY more work than it should be.

It's capturing 10 bit color vs 8
2018-9-6
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules