TESTS: D-Cinelike vs "None"
5075 18 2018-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ulysses Paiva
lvl.4
Flight distance : 573310 ft

Hey, guys!

Given the recent discussion about what color profile on the MA is better, I decided to take some time and design a test which can give us some idea of what might be best for your own workflow. Different configurations may fit better for different needs.

Here is how the test was designed:

Test design

Test design

There are different areas to check different aspects of the image. Scopes from each image will follow respectively.

Everything was shot at 4K MP4, 24fps, ISO: 100, Shutter 1/30, White Balance: 5200k.

Here we go:
Profile: None
Sharpness: 0, Contrast: 0, Saturation: 0
01.jpg
01_H.jpg

Profile: D-Cinelike
Sharpness: 0, Contrast: 0, Saturation: 0

02.jpg
02_H.jpg

Sharpness: +3, Contrast: +3, Saturation: +3

03.jpg
03_H.jpg

Sharpness: +3, Contrast: +3, Saturation: +3

04.jpg
04_H.jpg

Sharpness: -3, Contrast: -3, Saturation: -3

05.jpg
05_H.jpg

Sharpness: -3, Contrast: -3, Saturation: -3

06.jpg
06_H.jpg

Of course, you can dial between these extremes to ger where you think is best for you. Let me know what you think.
Thanks!
2018-9-1
Use props
Ulysses Paiva
lvl.4

My observations:
- I didnt notice any difference regarding noise between the profiles.
- D-Cinelike seems to have more shadow info by lifting blacks and midtones while trying to maintain highlights
- D-Cinelike shifts colors a bit. More towars cyan and red. "None" has colors closer to true.
- Although it looks like D-Cinelike lifts shadows it didnt seem to make noise more obvious, in fact, I couldnt notice noise differences between profiles.
- Everything at -3, both profiles looks to be the same both in image and scope information.
- All -3 seems to be the closest thing you can get to a Log profile, regardless which one you choose.- The more sharpness you apply, more the noise gets pronounced. Less sharpness helps hide noise.
- I tend to think D-Cinelike is better for my workflow as I do colour grading in post.
- "None" with all set to "0" seems to be the best setting if you want a quick and good image and dont plan to mess with it in post.
2018-9-1
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, Ulysses! Thank you so much for sharing your informative feedback with our feature to our Mavic Air. If you have any question, please don't hesitate to contact us. Thank you.
2018-9-4
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ulysses Paiva Posted at 2018-9-1 14:49
My observations:
- D-Cinelike seems to have more shadow info by lifting blacks and midtones while trying to maintain highlights

What are your thoughts about D-Log shooting vs D-cinelike?
2019-6-20
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great comparison
2019-6-21
Use props
Ulysses
lvl.4
Brazil

AntDX316 Posted at 6-20 15:31
What are your thoughts about D-Log shooting vs D-cinelike?

Hi! I dont have D-Log on my Mavic Air.
2019-6-21
Use props
ririlan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 879154 ft
Canada

very interesting.  I shoot sharpness 0, contrast -2 and saturation -2.  I don't understand why you would reduce the sharpness.  You can always blur a picture but you can't bring back sharpness.  what is gone is gone or am I missing something.  Thanks again for this comparison.
2019-6-21
Use props
manolism
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53035 ft
Greece

Nice comparison!!
2019-6-27
Use props
QQRUCH
Second Officer
Flight distance : 595518 ft
Spain

Thanks for sharing it!!
2019-6-27
Use props
Ulysses
lvl.4
Brazil

ririlan Posted at 6-21 11:46
very interesting.  I shoot sharpness 0, contrast -2 and saturation -2.  I don't understand why you would reduce the sharpness.  You can always blur a picture but you can't bring back sharpness.  what is gone is gone or am I missing something.  Thanks again for this comparison.

Sharpness at its minimum is not introducing "blur", its just at the sensor default. Increasing sharpness is in fact done by software, not hardware, in camera/drone. So, I prefer to add sharpness to my taste and much more control in post and not let the camera/drone software handle it for me.
2019-6-30
Use props
KREMi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

thx for work and comparsion
2019-7-8
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

profile none 0-0-0 is clearly the winner... no surprise here.
2019-7-9
Use props
JHollimanPhoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82802 ft
United States

Thanks for the analysis!
2019-7-9
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Does your Air have the True Color profile? Apparently, and at least for the original Mavic Pro, the None profile actually has some processing applied to it -- if you want the native color from the sensor, you have to use True Color. IIRC None boosts greens on the Mavic Pro. Fwiw, and thanks for sharing your testing!
2019-7-9
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing!
2019-7-9
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing
2019-7-9
Use props
Ulysses
lvl.4
Brazil

Ex Machina Posted at 7-9 12:25
Does your Air have the True Color profile? Apparently, and at least for the original Mavic Pro, the None profile actually has some processing applied to it -- if you want the native color from the sensor, you have to use True Color. IIRC None boosts greens on the Mavic Pro. Fwiw, and thanks for sharing your testing!

No. Only "None" and "Cinelike". Im currently thinking about using the None profile with some negative values. Did some tests last weekend and image straight out of drone were great. Didnt have time to test color grading response.
Cinelike always led me to think its better if I plan to adjust color in post, which I always do as I shoot on Blackmagic cameras. But Im starting to think its only some kind of curve added to the profile which doesnt really give me a flat profile, rather it just lift shadows to make it look like it has reduced contrast but the same could be achieved with the None profile, so not a really better starting point. But so far still a guess. I need to test more.
2019-7-14
Use props
smallWstudio4
lvl.2
United States

Keep it up, would love to know how this turns out!!!
2019-7-14
Use props
fans570896c1
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

Ulysses Paiva Posted at 2018-9-1 14:49
My observations:

You mentioned D-Cinelike looks red/cyan.

I've just sent a Mavic Air back and are trying to get them to replace another because they had a red cast, especially yellows/skin tones, or if the white balance was set too warm.

Can you send me any original video files for me to compare on my system?

First drone (all pink):

Second drone (red shadows):

2020-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules